Ighalo Vs Weghorst

Leethal

Well he is good in pressing and working his socks off for the team no doubt. But in terms goals/assists he is not up to standard. I only refer to the part where you talk about his assist contribution, not that I disagree with the other part.
Sancho doesn’t have all the space he had if Weghorst didn’t drag the defenders away. But stats don’t show that shit, so fans who know naff all about football have decided he’s crap.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sancho doesn’t have all the space he had if Weghorst didn’t drag the defenders away. But stats don’t show that shit, so fans who know naff all about football have decided he’s crap.
He did miss many sitters wasting many chances though. Fans have their rights to complain.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well - maybe Ten Hag has found a better position for him. I thought he was fairly poor as a lone striker - but when he moves further back on the pitch, he actually contributes quite a bit. And in the last 2 league games he could (should) have had 2 assists
I think he is abit like Fellaini or even Lingard for us - willing to work his socks off for the team, but talent/attacking wise just not up to it. But as long as we are winning, there’s nothing much to complain about his role for us.

cyril C

Not only that. We are comparing 2 players under 2 managers, with different tactics.

What we know for sure, is that both are coming from relegated clubs, 1 is black, 1 is white. That's about it.

If you put Messi under Mourinho, probably get bench every game, because he doesn't press, doesn't tackle, doesn't make professional foul if necessary.

You can only judge their contribution base on minutes under each manager, and there is a clear winner. It doesn't mean we will buy Weghorst in the summer, it only means ETH thinks he is contributing to the team during Martial's absence.

The topic of interest, should have been Martial. Are we happy with his contribution, should we replace him with someone more reliable. Weghorst is DEFINITELY not a replacement for Martial, people just don't get it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Don't get me started on stats :devil:

Skills

Snitch
How fecking long are we going to carry this absolute passenger in our starting line up?

Revan

Assumptionman
Ighalo was miles better. Weghorst is Bebe/Obertan level. If he wasn’t Dutch, he wouldn’t be at United.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Experiment over. Really couldn't care less if he plays again. Rather give game time to a kid if this is what he produces. He looks and acts post match like a guy who has won a competition to play for us.

Dinghy

The bar has never been lower for a United-player. There will be loads of people claiming he had a good game in the performance-thread.

Schmeichel=God

So many people moaning as if real football is as simple as FIFA or FM in terms of *players stats aren't 80s or 90s = must replace*.

Ferguson had many average players over the years that contributed to the overall machine. How many apps did Cleverley get, O'Shea, Phil Neville, Blomqvist, May, Berg and many others that today people would slate to the ends of the earth.

Both Ighalo and Weghorst were/are stop gaps caused by compounded mismanagement from owners/manager choices. Dont judge them on that. Judge them on what they bring to the overall.

Ighalo wasn't used as much as he could have been in the final season. He knew where the goal was, was unselfish, was slightly more of a goalscorer, and could play back to goal and link a little better.

Weghorst is a dog after a bone, which rubs off on others, gets the crowd going, is a physical presence which causes problems and creates loose balls amongst a defence, second ball opportunities that otherwise wouldn't arise. He is an out ball and not a drain on the mental and structural balance of the side a la Ronaldo.

Neither are exactly the level we need, but they were here, did a job, and had something to offer. They were not Ali Dias. Not like sticking John from the White Lion in the team. Goals aren't always clean moves in one phase, they come from second, third phases, loose balls, can be caused by pressure or a run that doesnt get passed to. Some players offer those elements. Forlan springs to mind as an example of that. Ighalo caused goals that the team wouldn't otherwise have scored and so has Weghorst.

Strive for more sure, but don't pretend they have absolutely zero contribution to the sum of the parts.

As for my choice between the two..it's very tight. Ighalo had clearly better finishing technique, but not all goals come from clean strikes. Getting it on target in general from half chances cam be the difference. Therefore with the overall increase in physicality and effort that Weghorst offers I would choose him. I believe he can also improve in his offering over time as he settles even more.

Edit: didn't realise the last post on this was early March. Apologies for partial resurrection of it.

redcucumber

So many people moaning as if real football is as simple as FIFA or FM in terms of *players stats aren't 80s or 90s = must replace*.

Ferguson had many average players over the years that contributed to the overall machine. How many apps did Cleverley get, O'Shea, Phil Neville, Blomqvist, May, Berg and many others that today people would slate to the ends of the earth.

Both Ighalo and Weghorst were/are stop gaps caused by compounded mismanagement from owners/manager choices. Dont judge them on that. Judge them on what they bring to the overall.

Ighalo wasn't used as much as he could have been in the final season. He knew where the goal was, was unselfish, was slightly more of a goalscorer, and could play back to goal and link a little better.

Weghorst is a dog after a bone, which rubs off on others, gets the crowd going, is a physical presence which causes problems and creates loose balls amongst a defence, second ball opportunities that otherwise wouldn't arise. He is an out ball and not a drain on the mental and structural balance of the side a la Ronaldo.

Neither are exactly the level we need, but they were here, did a job, and had something to offer. They were not Ali Dias. Not like sticking John from the White Lion in the team. Goals aren't always clean moves in one phase, they come from second, third phases, loose balls, can be caused by pressure or a run that doesnt get passed to. Some players offer those elements. Forlan springs to mind as an example of that. Ighalo caused goals that the team wouldn't otherwise have scored and so has Weghorst.

Strive for more sure, but don't pretend they have absolutely zero contribution to the sum of the parts.

As for my choice between the two..it's very tight. Ighalo had clearly better finishing technique, but not all goals come from clean strikes. Getting it on target in general from half chances cam be the difference. Therefore with the overall increase in physicality and effort that Weghorst offers I would choose him. I believe he can also improve in his offering over time as he settles even more.

Edit: didn't realise the last post on this was early March. Apologies for partial resurrection of it.
They were both way, way below what you expect of a United forward and the resulting impact is we often look underwhelming going forward. Does Weghorst even offer a level of pressing that makes up for his lack of ability? He might have when he first joined, I'm not seeing anything particularly impressive at this point. I'd much Rashford out of position, or a half crocked Martial there. Forlan was light-years ahead of both of them, despite his underwhelming stint here.

nakpodiareuben

I don't understand all this comparisons. They both played for united at different time and were both useful.....very useful

Razvan

Different times - think people should rather compare us with other teams in the present, not league winning teams 15-20 years ago. How many average players do City/Real/Bayern have right now? Are any of them starting central forwards?

redcucumber

Different times - think people should rather compare us with other teams in the present, not league winning teams 15-20 years ago. How many average players do City/Real/Bayern have right now? Are any of them starting central forwards?
I agree in principle but.. Choupo Moting?

jm99

But our form in the league fell off a cliff since weghorst started and we've won two in two since he was dropped.

Here's our league form since the restart in games weghorst hasnt started

Played 6, won 6

Here's our form in games Weghorst started

Played 9, won 3, drawn 3, lost 3

It's not just a lack of skill, or finishing ability. Our results are noticeably worse when Weghorst plays.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Weghorst is as bad as it gets, or should ever get playing for Manchester United. He’s truly awful. Not his fault whatever but his standard in the games he’s played is garbage.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I thought Ighalo was a useless bum but holy shit, this guy right here is as bottom of the barrel as it gets. Wrexham would finish mid table in the conference if they had him up top.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Ighalo started fairly well then turned to absolute shit but barely played from that point forward so didn't stand out so much.

Wout started decently then turned to absolute shit and has continued to be played a fair amount (although most of that was when we had everyone injured and no other options).

spiriticon

Ighalo had about 10 goals a season in him. Wout I don't think he has even 5 goals.

Revan

Assumptionman
Playing with 10 men is better than Weghorst. It is criminal that he has played so much. Worst United player I have ever seen.

joedirt87

I dont remember Ighalo scoring in the prem, just cup ties but he sure got closer to scoring one than Weghorst has.

ShinjiNinja26

Comparing him to Ighalo is an insult. At least Ighalo offered a threat and found the back of the net from time to time. Weghorst literally offers nothing upfront, he barely even takes a shot.

RedDevilQuebecois

Speaking of Ighalo, he's currently playing for Al Hilal these days. He had a chance to send the AFC Champions League final (that was on Saturday) to extra time, but the shot went straight at the Urawa Red Diamonds goalkeeper. The Japanese team won the final.

Back on topic, I rate neither. It's hopefully the very last time that we will ever sign a striker on loan.

Von Mistelroum

I'm afraid it's not even close. Weghorst doesn't have bad qualities as a footballer and could make it somewhere but not as a striker.

Zlatanator

Given his height, Weghorst couldn't even win a long ball from the keeper and lay it.

Mike Smalling

Weghorst is absolutely useless. I've never seen a supposedly big man use the physique that poorly. Has he met a cross in the box yet? I don't think so. And he constantly get's physically dominated by the opponents CBs.

Ighalo performed very well in comparison, although to be fair I think he was called on a lot less than Weghorst has been. Still, I think he would have shown more even if he had been asked to play in the PL as well.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ighalo was actually decent and scored goals...

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I hate this fanbase. Long story from all the games I've been to, but literally couldn't pick a worst bunch to go along with the club I love.

Muninman

Average is a harsh judgement for some of those players. Berg for one, who arguably never played at his best for MU. It may well be stated that Phil Neville was lucky to get 59 England caps (and I would agree), but an 'average' player would not get near international selection. I think terms used to judge players needs some recalibration if a seasoned international is considered an average player.