Gaming IGN best Video Game of all time

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Batman: Arkham City coming out on top in a bracket that includes Street Fighter II, Pokemon, Super Mario 64, Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls and Half Life 2. :lol:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
No Ryan Giggs Champions World Class Soccer for the SNES? Rigged.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So many things are wrong, Dishonored losing to any Call of Duty version. No Commando, Shadow Tactics or Desperados.

OleBoiii

Where do we even begin? There's a clear recency bias. The IMDb of game rankings.

- As many as 64 games on there and you only had room for one SNES game?
- OOT should be way higher. Possibly winning the whole thing.
- What the hell is a COD game doing in the top 8?! No FPS game is better than Counter Strike 1.6 anyways...
- Melee is the best SSB game, not Ultimate.
- Ori and the Blind Forest probably deserves to be in there.

Last edited:

Red_Aaron

Batman: Arkham City coming out on top in a bracket that includes Street Fighter II, Pokemon, Super Mario 64, Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls and Half Life 2. :lol:
Was about to make this exact post! :lol:

You could make an argument for all of those games being in the final whilst Arkham doesn't even deserve a spot in the tournament. It's mental

I enjoyed Arkham City but it's nuts and bolts does it really have that big a following?

SFII is a hundred years old and still gets played at tournament level all over the world

JPRouve

Scout
Awful from start to finish. :lol: These things are pointless anyway.
They are but it's always surprising how bad they can be. I suppose that it's due to a lack of diversity among voters.

AaronRedDevil

Didn't look at the entire bracket till now. How tf did GTA 5 managed to get out of there winning with Mass effect 2, Halo 2, MGS 3 and even uncharted. Wow GTA 5 wasnt even that good, characters and story just sucked. If it wasn't for Trevor the game would be boring as hell. And a lifeless open world. Most look fair enough, surprised Batman Arkham city beat Mario 64. Tomb raider beat half life 2 :eek: . I didn't even like HL2 but that game is pretty damn popular. I LOVE TLOU but c'mon, it's not even close to Metal Gear Solid 3. That could of made it to the final. Call of duty 4 was pretty groundbreaking so fair enough it got that far. The left side seems mostly agreeable except for Bioshock losing to fecking Minecraft:lol:. God of War v Witcher 3, ooof that's a tough one. Both are epic in their own way.

Smores

Where do we even begin? There's a clear recency bias. The IMDb of game rankings.

- As many as 64 games on there and you only had room for one SNES game?
- OOT should be way higher. Possibly winning the whole thing.
- What the hell is a COD game doing in the top 8?! No FPS game is better than Counter Strike 1.6 anyways...
- Melee is the best SSB game, not Ultimate.
- Ori and the Blind Forest probably deserves to be in there.
Surely it's obvious they'd be a recency bias. No one is playing old games because they just don't stand up to those on current technology.

Goldeneye for instance was great but it's fecking terrible when you try it again now.

Most enjoyable as at the time played would create a very different list.

The Firestarter

But is realism what someone is looking for in GTA V or any other open world game? I don't really think so. GTA V did nothing to me, I didn't like the atmosphere and don't think that it's a particularly good game.
Sure, if it is just the story you are looking for then I can see why SA can be viewed as better. But it's much more than a single story, isn't it- I found myself going back to it just to cause for some mayhem with the jet or tank, or to try to find some super cars, or just explore some location I've not been too. That works because the world really feels "lived in" - what I meant by realism above.

It has sold more than 150 million copies. It must have done something extremely well for that to occur for an AAA title.

Ainu

Totally agree with that to be fair.
The problem with a game like OoT is that it hasn't held up well. Those who've played it back in the day will probably swear by it, those who've played it later on might go "meh". It's an issue with many early 3d titles, and much less so with older 2d titles. Games like A Link to the Past or Final Fantasy VI are much more easily digestible for younger, first-time players. At least I'd think so.

Chairman Steve

You can tell the type of person who was voting when you see COD, GTA and other recent major AAA games involved.

I guarantee if this was journalists it’d be like a bunch of Nintendo games that receive WAY more praise than they should.

I’m kind of surprised the internet seemingly haven’t hijacked this and put something like Ride to Hell or Deadly Premonition in the finals.

JPRouve

Scout
Sure, if it is just the story you are looking for then I can see why SA can be viewed as better. But it's much more than a single story, isn't it- I found myself going back to it just to cause for some mayhem with the jet or tank, or to try to find some super cars, or just explore some location I've not been too. That works because the world really feels "lived in" - what I meant by realism above.

It has sold more than 150 million copies. It must have done something extremely well for that to occur for an AAA title.
What you are describing is the sandbox aspect of the game which applies to all GTA games and many other games. While I can see why people may be entertained by the possibility of causing mayhem, the game itself is not particualrly good and has no business being in a top of anything, the game play isn't special, the graphics aren't special and the story isn't special. If you like sandbox games just for the sandbox aspect than I can somewhat understand why you would like it but personally I think that Rockstar has been lazy and didn't bring anything remarkable to the franchise since GTA 3 outside making you pay extra stuffs in GTA V.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
God of war way too high. Decent but nowhere near being the best game ever.

The Firestarter

What you are describing is the sandbox aspect of the game which applies to all GTA games and many other games. While I can see why people may be entertained by the possibility of causing mayhem, the game itself is not particualrly good and has no business being in a top of anything, the game play isn't special, the graphics aren't special and the story isn't special. If you like sandbox games just for the sandbox aspect than I can somewhat understand why you would like it but personally I think that Rockstar has been lazy and didn't bring anything remarkable to the franchise since GTA 3 outside making you pay extra stuffs in GTA V.
Why is it selling so brilliantly well then ?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Is God of War really that good? I know it's super hyped but as I'm a PC guy I've never had the pleasure.

JPRouve

Scout
Why is it selling so brilliantly well then ?
Because people like sandbox games, just take a game like Minecraft it has hundreds of millions of downloadings. It has more sales than GTA V.

Ainu

Is God of War really that good? I know it's super hyped but as I'm a PC guy I've never had the pleasure.
It's a very good game, potentially great if you like the genre. Not even close to being in the conversation of best games ever though.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
People really like the story but it's greatest sin IMO is that the gameplay just isn't very good. It reminds me a bit of the attempted reboot for DmC and how it deviated from the frenetic style of action that the series was known for. It's a more deliberate game than the older GoTs, but also feels like its just aping popular trends seen in many games of its type (e.g. Tomb Raider), especially with the pseudo-RPG elements adding... not a whole lot. The menu system is also clunky and annoying. It also doesn't have many (any?) good bosses.

My biggest peeve is that it has too much talking with the characters being forced to narrate every 5 seconds. The BOY meme exists for a reason.

Edit - Should probably add that I can see why it's popular. It's well-made technically and has a cracking setting in spite of my issues above.

Last edited:

dinostar77

What a pile of turd that IGN competition is. Awful. They must be getting slaughter on social media for that.

The Firestarter

Because people like sandbox games, just take a game like Minecraft it has hundreds of millions of downloadings. It has more sales than GTA V.
It is a different type of game. And you can't compare it with the sales of an AAA title.

Ainu

People really like the story and I don't so I won't comment but it's greatest sin IMO is that the gameplay just isn't very good. There's nothing actually wrong with it but as an action game, it reminds me a bit of the attempted reboot for DmC and how it deviated from the frenetic style of action that the series was known for. It's a more deliberate game but also feels more generic than the older GoW games, especially with the pseudo-RPG elements adding... not a whole lot. The menu system is also clunky and annoying. It also doesn't have many (any?) good bosses.

It also has way too much talking with the characters being forced to narrate every 5 seconds and that's a trend I think needs to die generally.
That seems very harsh. It plays really well, though not exactly as well as the FromSoft titles it was so clearly inspired by. I wouldn't call it generic, its signature axe elevates it to a level above that. Throwing and returning the axe to Kratos' hand never gets old. The lack of great bosses is a valid criticism though, and one they need to address in the next game.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
People really like the story and I don't so I won't comment but it's greatest sin IMO is that the gameplay just isn't very good and I think that's criminal in a game where combat takes up 90% of the gameplay. It reminds me a bit of the attempted reboot for DmC and how it deviated from the frenetic style of action that the series was known for. It's a more deliberate game than the older GoTs, but also feels like its just aping popular trends seen in many games of its type (e.g. Tomb Raider), especially with the pseudo-RPG elements adding... not a whole lot. The menu system is also clunky and annoying.

My biggest peeve is that it has too much talking with the characters being forced to narrate every 5 seconds. The BOY meme exists for a reason.
Oh Christ that sounds fecking horrible. I get that story can be important but for me a game can never be a great game if the actual game part is a bit naff. If combat is 90% of the game then that combat needs to be incredibly fun and varied to play.

JPRouve

Scout
It is a different type of game. And you can't compare it with the sales of an AAA title.
Why can't I compare it, a sale is a sale? They are both sandbox games and that's why people like them, the game mechanics and environments are different but people like them because they are sandbox games.

But anyway, the point is that GTA V isn't close to be the best game ever, the fact that you like it doesn't change it. All of the games in that bracket have millions of people liking them for various reasons.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
That seems very harsh. It plays really well, though not exactly as well as the FromSoft titles it was so clearly inspired by. I wouldn't call it generic, its signature axe elevates it to a level above that. Throwing and returning the axe to Kratos' hand never gets old. The lack of great bosses is a valid criticism though, and one they need to address in the next game.
It is harsh and you'll probably never find me so animated about anything that isn't God of War. I have a completely irrational dislike for it :lol:

@balaks Tbh you should probably read the main thread for a more balanced view of the game. People like Afro, Elvo and Damo really liked it.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/god-of-war-2018.437892/

OleBoiii

Surely it's obvious they'd be a recency bias. No one is playing old games because they just don't stand up to those on current technology.
Based on that logic we could just make a modern version of films like Citizen Kane or Vertigo with better sound and camera quality and they would automatically rank higher.

I don't think these rankings should be based on how well a game holds up today(although many old games are still great). You're never gonna get an unbiased answer then. Young gamers are gonna find old games janky and dull compared to what they're used to, whereas old gamers are gonna be fueled by the undeniable power of nostalgia.

A game's ranking should be based on two factors:

1. How engaging/fun it was when it was released(or in the case of modern games: when it was properly patched).
2. Historic importance/uniqueness/originality etc.

I'd say both are equally important.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I loved God of War, but in this bracket it would've been knocked out at every stage for me. Especially Starcraft is a billion times more defining and Iconic than stern dad simulator 5000. Devil May Cry shites all over it anyway.

My personal best game of all time is probably, erm, actually, I really have no idea. there's way too many to choose from. Starcraft comes close I think. Final Fantasy 6 and 7 were both amazeballs. Can't deny the impact and longevity of WoW.

Lot of great older ones like Baldur's Gate 2, Lufia 2, the original Super Mario Bros. Though to be fair, most people who frequent sites like IGN were probably not born in the 80s.

but not fecking GTA 5.

edit: ah I completely forget my favorite game series of all time, Total War. Nicking that from @balaks post.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I have no idea what I'd select as the best game of all time but I can probably do a list of 5-10 games that I have loved over the years (I know I'm missing out hundreds):

Secret of Monkey Island 2
Warhammer Total War 2
Civ 4
Counterstrike
Skyrim
Half-Life
Baldurs Gate 1 & 2
Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2
Football Manager
Supreme Commander 2