Gaming IGN best Video Game of all time

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You've all walked in to their trap. The whole point was to get people talking and sharing the page. Even Forbes wanted to piggyback on that.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yeah these seem to similar to listicles which dominated the internet between 2013-2016
Yeah just purely designed for engagement, and there's no better way than people vehemently disagreeing. They knew what would happen.

OleBoiii

Best 2D Side-scroller
Donkey Kong Country or Mega Man X

Best 3D Adventure
The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

Best 3D Sandbox
GTA: San Andreas

Best FPS(consoles only)
Goldeneye 64

Best FPS(team based competitive)
Counter Strike 1.6

Best FPS(single-player competitive)
Quake 3

Best Sandbox Fighting Game
Super Smash Bros. Melee

Best 3D Puzzle
Portal or Portal 2. Honorable mention to The Witness.

I don't care that much about 2D fighters, 2D adventures, RPGs, strategy and racing games, so I have no opinion on those.

OleBoiii

@OleBoiii I'm surprised you aren't into @RPGs
Can't stand the grind. I need to either challenge my brain or my dexterity. A good story and music is always nice, but it's more of a bonus to me. A big part of why I like the Zelda games(some people call these games RPGs) is because of the temples/dungeons.

Ultimately, I get no satisfaction from seeing a few icons and numbers change/become more impressive in the context of the game universe.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As a kid I used to ardently follow IGN but they've become a bit of a joke of late.
People really like the story but it's greatest sin IMO is that the gameplay just isn't very good. It reminds me a bit of the attempted reboot for DmC and how it deviated from the frenetic style of action that the series was known for. It's a more deliberate game than the older GoTs, but also feels like its just aping popular trends seen in many games of its type (e.g. Tomb Raider), especially with the pseudo-RPG elements adding... not a whole lot. The menu system is also clunky and annoying. It also doesn't have many (any?) good bosses.

My biggest peeve is that it has too much talking with the characters being forced to narrate every 5 seconds. The BOY meme exists for a reason.

Edit - Should probably add that I can see why it's popular. It's well-made technically and has a cracking setting in spite of my issues above.
I think the gameplay is excellent. One of the best among the so called cinematic games.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I loved God of War, but in this bracket it would've been knocked out at every stage for me. Especially Starcraft is a billion times more defining and Iconic than stern dad simulator 5000. Devil May Cry shites all over it anyway.

My personal best game of all time is probably, erm, actually, I really have no idea. there's way too many to choose from. Starcraft comes close I think. Final Fantasy 6 and 7 were both amazeballs. Can't deny the impact and longevity of WoW.

Lot of great older ones like Baldur's Gate 2, Lufia 2, the original Super Mario Bros. Though to be fair, most people who frequent sites like IGN were probably not born in the 80s.

but not fecking GTA 5.

edit: ah I completely forget my favorite game series of all time, Total War. Nicking that from @balaks post.
Excellent choices, especially BG1 and 2

The Firestarter

Why can't I compare it, a sale is a sale? They are both sandbox games and that's why people like them, the game mechanics and environments are different but people like them because they are sandbox games.

But anyway, the point is that GTA V isn't close to be the best game ever, the fact that you like it doesn't change it. All of the games in that bracket have millions of people liking them for various reasons.
They are not same type of game. Minecraft is a world builder, gta is a world simulation . And you can't compare sales because one would cost 10-15 $ the other 60-70 at launch. Its like comparing sales of fiat and BMW.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They are not same type of game. Minecraft is a world builder, gta is a world simulation . And you can't compare sales because one would cost 10-15 $ the other 60-70 at launch. Its like comparing sales of fiat and BMW.
Again the point is that these two games are popular because they are sandbox games, that's what appeals to people. I'm not comparing sales of the two games, I'm telling you why these two games are at the top of sales, which was your question.

The Firestarter

Again the point is that these two games are popular because they are sandbox games, that's what appeals to people. I'm not comparing sales of the two games, I'm telling you why these two games are at the top of sales, which was your question.
Let's agree to completely disagree here and leave it at that.

Revan

Assumptionman
The problem with a game like OoT is that it hasn't held up well. Those who've played it back in the day will probably swear by it, those who've played it later on might go "meh". It's an issue with many early 3d titles, and much less so with older 2d titles. Games like A Link to the Past or Final Fantasy VI are much more easily digestible for younger, first-time players. At least I'd think so.
Played it in 2015, never having played it before. One of the very few games I would have given a perfect 10/10. I can say the same for Deus Ex, FF6, FF7 and Chrono Trigger, all of them having played in 2013.

I actually think that they have have held up very well. At the contrary, replayed Mass Effect (via legendary edition), and I thought it had not held up well at all. Still enjoyable, but not one of the best games I ever played like I considered it before.

Moby

Dick
The lack of great bosses is a valid criticism though, and one they need to address in the next game.
Exactly. I'd extend that to enemies as well. There was a bit too much reskinning for my liking. But for the bosses, I fought all the valks for the plat which was great but if someone just did the main story - there was actually not a single actual 'boss' fight. In fact fighting those giants shitting lasers out of their chests was more fun than fighting any of the so called bosses which were like following a guided tutorial for the fight for most part. I mean I felt that before entering the FromSoft universe, but now after finishing BB, that looks a lot worse. :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's on my list and I'm sure that it's great. But I doubt that it's going to invoke the same wow-factor as the other two games did in the early 90's.
Didn't for me really. I just finished it and while it's great, I just don't feel the magic in games I did when I was younger.

Deery

Dreary
Is RDR2 even in there? That image is a feckin nightmare to navigate. It's only tiny or massive on my laptop, no in between.
Don’t think so just Red Dead Redemption which is outrageous if you’re not including two in a best game poll..

OleBoiii

Didn't for me really. I just finished it and while it's great, I just don't feel the magic in games I did when I was younger.
Nostalgia obviously plays a part, but I think it's harder to make something revolutionary these days. It's all about boosting the graphics, making the map bigger and adding more guns and items.

NES allegedly "saved" the gaming industry. SNES is the 2D console. N64 added 4-player multiplayer, rumbling controllers, z-targeting and revolutionised 3D gaming overall. The PS and PS2 had massive libraries and great RPGs. Counter Strike and Quake made competitive FPS games great. The SSB series did something unique in the fighting game genre etc etc.

The most revolutionary thing about the last 10-15 years of gaming is all the opportunities that has come with high-speed internet. The rise of indie games is also a unique feature, although I don't think the games themselves are that great. They're essentially a return to the SNES, with better graphics and smoother controls etc.

Last edited:

Spoony

The People's President
I wouldn’t argue against it.

Are you getting Metroid Dread? It’s out Friday.

Yes, hopefully. I hope Samus makes that whoosh sound when she see spins across rooms. I also hope she can still run through things at speed.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's voted by readers, right? Most people who read IGN aren't old enough to have even heard of Chrono Trigger so it's hardly surprising. If it's a popular vote you can't argue with too much other than games being missing from the actual list.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
God of War is rated 10/10 on IGN . Is this warranted ?
Definitely not. Great looking game, decent story but by the end of the game I lost interest in it. Combat is ok, but nothing special. It's quite repetitive with a pretty terrible upgrade tree and the fast travel system is awful. I'd give it a 7 if I had to stick an arbitrary score on it.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Out of the games listed here, my top three (in no particular order) would be:

Bloodborne
Bioshock
Resident Evil 4

GTA V being where it is....come on. Ridiculous

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Any Zelda game (even though ive not bothered looking at the list) has to be up there.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The problem with a game like OoT is that it hasn't held up well. Those who've played it back in the day will probably swear by it, those who've played it later on might go "meh". It's an issue with many early 3d titles, and much less so with older 2d titles. Games like A Link to the Past or Final Fantasy VI are much more easily digestible for younger, first-time players. At least I'd think so.
Some of those N64 classics absolutely do hold up well though, it is part of what makes OoT and SM64 so special and why the former in particular is always near the top of any respectable list.

As opposed to the gameplay of Skyrim holding up with its infamously shit combat.