Gaming IGN best Video Game of all time

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Out of the games listed here, my top three (in no particular order) would be:

Bloodborne
Bioshock
Resident Evil 4

GTA V being where it is....come on. Ridiculous
its one of the highest selling games ever and still is 10 years later. Its a public vote so of course its going to be up there

People get very upset about lists and votes like this. End of the day everyone visits the site and creates discussion like this thread. IGN wins!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Some of those N64 classics absolutely do hold up well though, it is part of what makes OoT and SM64 so special and why the former in particular is always near the top of any respectable list.

As opposed to the gameplay of Skyrim holding up with its infamously shit combat.
That's very true, while I enjoyed Skyrim on my first playthroughs, when I tried to start a new one last year I didn't go further than Whiterun. There is something wrong about the game in the sense that the gameplay isn't solid enough to justify the fact that I know most quests. On the other hand, Dishonored is as great as it was initially. That thought will lead me to a new playthrough of The Brigmore Witches DLC.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Batman: Arkham City coming out on top in a bracket that includes Street Fighter II, Pokemon, Super Mario 64, Shadow of the Colossus, Dark Souls and Half Life 2. :lol:
Don't forget Tetris, which to this day is still being played.

Where the hell was Metal Gear Solid (PS1)? That game was phenomenal.

FF VII and Ocarina of Time going out like San Marino and Malta at the qualifying stage?

Street Fighter 2, the game that popularised a whole genre doesn't get past round 1?

Where's Tekken 3?

No Gran Turismo or any sports games?

IGN :lol:

Bosws87

Unfortunately, it just shows why sequel after sequel is churned out because its what the majority of people want.

BOTW while being a fantastic game better then the original FF7 outrageous, just shows i'm getting old i bet the majority of people never experienced FF7 in all its glory back in 97 who voted in this.

Unlike music games age terribly so lots of great games will be discounted just because the voting audience have never played them and have no desire due to how terribly they have aged.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
GTA is so overrated IMO. Like they're very good but the greatest? Get the feck our.

God of War deserved winner IMO. That game was fecking phenomenal and flawless IMO. Can't wait for the next one.

Ainu

Some of those N64 classics absolutely do hold up well though, it is part of what makes OoT and SM64 so special and why the former in particular is always near the top of any respectable list.

As opposed to the gameplay of Skyrim holding up with its infamously shit combat.
Skyrim's gameplay holds up about as well now as it did 10 years ago. It was considered the weakest part of the game then at it unsurprisingly still is. So I'm not sure where that comparison comes from.

I honestly don't think OoT has held up well, but obviously from a technical point of view. Its progression and world design is pretty much timeless. I don't really feel strongly enough about it to argue the point further than that, though. You don't agree, fair enough.

bosnian_red

There are actually some glaring and obvious flaws, like the lack of any half decent bosses. For an action adventure title called 'God of War' you finish the game by mainly watching cut-scenes.
Bosses are definitely fair I guess. There's a few decent ones, Baldur, the dragon, valkyries are all good fights IMO.

The cut scenes are fine and I enjoyed them, and I really liked the dialogue all the way throughout the game. Kept it really interesting and I loved Mimir's stories.

Still as an overall experience probably my favourite game of all time though. I loved games like BotW as well as it was so well made, but the issues in that one annoyed me far more (weapon durability, the dungeons being gone from normal zelda games). The original 3 big zeldas like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Windwaker should be up there too though. But each have kind of annoying things. Windwaker you're in the boat for way too long. Majora's Mask and Ocarina pretty great but really need a full remake to relive them with modern graphics.

The Souls games and Bloodborne also greats. But just not up there with GoW as an overall experience for me. I do love all the Norse mythology stuff though.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
I should add that Skyrim's gameplay can be greatly improved if you mod it like a maniac but it takes a very long time. That also applies to Fallout 4.

Moby

Dick
Bosses are definitely fair I guess. There's a few decent ones, Baldur, the dragon, valkyries are all good fights IMO.

The cut scenes are fine and I enjoyed them, and I really liked the dialogue all the way throughout the game. Kept it really interesting and I loved Mimir's stories.
Valks are great but they are optional. Dragon was fun and probably the best fight in the story. Baldur was a joke.

I loved the story telling, cinematics and aesthetics. Even the combat 'looked' really great with those runic effects but overall, I think about the game more as a preview for the real mayhem about to come. Hence they probably cut down the work on adding more enemies, bosses and areas. Two realms never get unlocked, and both Nilfheim and Muspelheim are like combat challenge arenas. It's a great foundation and if they expand properly they can end up with a masterpiece, but at the same time as highly as I rate it, won't call it a 10/10.

Moby

Dick
I really enjoyed TLOU but my favourite ND title would probably be UC2. Absolute fun to play throughout with one awesome sequence after another, especially the one on the train. :drool:

bosnian_red

Valks are great but they are optional. Dragon was fun and probably the best fight in the story. Baldur was a joke.

I loved the story telling, cinematics and aesthetics. Even the combat 'looked' really great with those runic effects but overall, I think about the game more as a preview for the real mayhem about to come. Hence they probably cut down the work on adding more enemies, bosses and areas. Two realms never get unlocked, and both Nilfheim and Muspelheim are like combat challenge arenas. It's a great foundation and if they expand properly they can end up with a masterpiece, but at the same time as highly as I rate it, won't call it a 10/10.
Fair enough. They definitely built it up as a prequel to Ragnorok so there are some huge expectations for that, but if they get the fights right on that and carry the rest out pretty similarly (not copy and paste of course), then it's an easy 10 for me.

Reditus

By that logic fecking FIFA should make these lists.
you would have to pick one FIFA. But whatever the best ever one is probably should be in contention for these lists. They are very popular games

If I was to add a football game id put in ISS 98 from the N64

Bosws87

Final Fantasy 7
Metal Gear Solid 1,2,3,4
Last of us
BloodBourn
Dark Souls 1,3
Shadow of the Colossus
Nier Automata
Bio Shock
Half Life 1,2, Alyx
Portal 1,2
Fallout 3
Witcher 3
God of War 1,2,3 (original trilogy)
Ninja Gaiden Black
Super Mario Bros 3
GTA original + London
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
Gears of War
LittleBigPlanet
COD 4
Killzone 2
CS 1.6
CS:GO
Sekiro

Just tried tallying up something similar of what I'd consider the greatest games of all time, be plenty more i've missed, i'd struggle to put them in individual positions.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
its one of the highest selling games ever and still is 10 years later. Its a public vote so of course its going to be up there

People get very upset about lists and votes like this. End of the day everyone visits the site and creates discussion like this thread. IGN wins!
Yeah, at the end of the day, "best of" lists are pretty silly and, of course, they're going to be very subjective. The fact that this one is a public vote would explain a lot, because using the number of units a game has sold is not a good metric for how good said game is, IMO. Obviously, it's the online aspect of GTA V that has given it quite an incredible life span. Which is not to say that the online aspect of a game should be ignored, but I don't think it has a lot to do with the single-player, which I found...fine. But nothing more than that.

Reditus

Yeah, at the end of the day, "best of" lists are pretty silly and, of course, they're going to be very subjective. The fact that this one is a public vote would explain a lot, because using the number of units a game has sold is not a good metric for how good said game is, IMO. Obviously, it's the online aspect of GTA V that has given it quite an incredible life span. Which is not to say that the online aspect of a game should be ignored, but I don't think it has a lot to do with the single-player, which I found...fine. But nothing more than that.
I havent played it since it was released and if Im not mistaken it was Ps3 I played it on, which is crazy that is remains in best selling lists. Doesnt matter if its down to the online or not, its staying power is something else.

Siorac

These lists and polls are always a bit pointless, apart from driving clicks which was undoubtedly the intention.

The 'most impactful games of all time' is a more interesting discussion than 'best'. Is Wolfenstein 3D one of the best first person shooters ever? Almost certainly not: its gameplay is basic, the story is silly and told almost entirely in text, and graphically it's extremely dated. What it is, however, is one of the most influential shooters of all time. It's pretty much the grandfather of the genre.

Impact, novelty, originality: these are all easier to measure than subjective quality.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
These lists and polls are always a bit pointless, apart from driving clicks which was undoubtedly the intention.

The 'most impactful games of all time' is a more interesting discussion than 'best'. Is Wolfenstein 3D one of the best first person shooters ever? Almost certainly not: its gameplay is basic, the story is silly and told almost entirely in text, and graphically it's extremely dated. What it is, however, is one of the most influential shooters of all time. It's pretty much the grandfather of the genre.

Impact, novelty, originality: these are all easier to measure than subjective quality.
Where's the fun in that!

You can't have the pleasure then of telling people why they're wrong!

Siorac

Where's the fun in that!

You can't have the pleasure then of telling people why they're wrong!
But you can demonstrate your superior encyclopaedic knowledge of video games! Preferably while absolutely dripping with smugness.

'No, it obviously wasn't Westwood who came up with the concept of real time RTS - there was this 1989 gem from East Timor where you could control two units at the same time, using the command line. It sold three and a half copies but of course you just regurgitate what mainstream gaming media tells you instead of doing your own research'.

Jagga7

I thought GTA 5 was a bit meh. It has a large online community though which is why I think it's no1.

JPRouve

Scout

There is a point because this thread created interesting conversations and mentions, at the end of the day our respective lists aren't important it's more about the sharing of thoughts and opinions. Outside of @The Firestarter who won't rest until we all admit that GTA V is best game ever.:D

For example I do wonder if people consider mods when they judge a game? Highly moddable games have an unfair advantage but does it matter when we consider enjoyment and final gameplay?

Edit: Anyone in here has played the later versions of Cossacks?

Siorac

For example I do wonder if people consider mods when they judge a game? Highly moddable games have an unfair advantage but does it matter when we consider enjoyment and final gameplay?
I don't think mods should matter, even if Bethesda built their entire success on them. Skyrim isn't a great game in itself, it's barely even good (shit story, flat characters, basic combat, terrible UI, bugs galore). It's another case of a game that can be called influential rather than great. At the same time, Dark Souls is very moddable, people put out insanely good mods for it but the base game also stands on its own.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I thought GTA 5 was a bit meh. It has a large online community though which is why I think it's no1.
I think you are right on this. Ive been playing the online version since it went live. Still play once a week now 8 years later, still have a ton of fun on it with a few mates. As far as the best game I have played there are others that I think are better but in terms of the game I have spent the most time playing it would be gta5 online.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think mods should matter, even if Bethesda built their entire success on them. Skyrim isn't a great game in itself, it's barely even good (shit story, flat characters, basic combat, terrible UI, bugs galore). It's another case of a game that can be called influential rather than great. At the same time, Dark Souls is very moddable, people put out insanely good mods for it but the base game also stands on its own.
Settle down, I didn't suggest that Skyrim was a great game, it wasn't even about Skyrim. I was just wondering if people limit their opinion to vanilla versions or if they take into account mods. It's a bit like cars people don't necessairly limit their rankings to factory specs.

Baneofthegame

I was thinking it would be Breath of the Wild or GTA V before I even saw the result because that’s how these votes always seem to go.

FattyFooty

Don't forget Tetris, which to this day is still being played.

Where the hell was Metal Gear Solid (PS1)? That game was phenomenal.

FF VII and Ocarina of Time going out like San Marino and Malta at the qualifying stage?

Street Fighter 2, the game that popularised a whole genre doesn't get past round 1?

Where's Tekken 3?

No Gran Turismo or any sports games?

IGN :lol:
Look at this dude. He got it right.

Tekken 3 and Metal gear is insane not listed. By far some of the best made for its time.

JPRouve

Scout
It just occurred to me that Age of Empire isn't there.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Neither of those games hold up though. They are clunky messes. SM64 especially is horrible.

Reditus

We should do a Red Cafe version

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
For me GTA: San Andreas is the best GTA game. I am biased but it's the best game of all time in my opinion.

My top 5 favourites of all time, not necessarily the best, in no order are.

GTA: San Andreas
Skyrim
Football Manager series (hard to choose one)
Final Fantasy X
Pokémon Fire Red/Leaf Green.

All of them are childhood games that I still play now ove 10 years later and some nearly 20 years later.

Ainu

We should do a Red Cafe version
It could be interesting to start from the same matchups as they did and see where we end up. But in truth, even the starting point is pretty shit. How did they even get to that list of games?