Iker Casillas Twitter Homophobia Debacle

Boavista

Just look at the reaction that the original tweet(s) got, the hatred and bile. Do you think seeing that will encourage LGBTQ+ players coke out? How about a eeing that they’re the butt of the joke between fellow pros maybe?
Sadly the hatred and bile would be there if he actually had genuinely come out with that tweet too, but also lots of messages of support you'd think.

It's a joke in poor taste because it trivialises a difficult struggle for a lot of people out there, but it's also not hugely offensive in my opinion, rather clumsy and myopic. For instance, even if it actually was a hack, I reckon he could have used this moment to turn the situation into something positive by calling out the homophobic responses and showing his support for LGBT people. Just saying he was hacked and apologising doesn't really do that.

Without knowing the context (as in that this might be some silly retort to intrusive media reports on his private life) while still assuming he didn't actually come out, my first thoughts were that even a fake announcement like this could potentially help normalise coming out, a bit like a lightning rod. But of course in this case it seems a bit more complicated and not handled that way, and the subtext does feel derisive even if maybe unintentional.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Sexuality a choice? Don't make me laugh, absolute bigoted prick.

If sexuality were a choice you really think people would come out as gay in the families they have, or the countries they live, that will hate them? What a fecking choice, choosing to love someone of the same sex and being ostracised, hated, and murdered for it. You are without a doubt the dumbest person on this website

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I am from within 2 minorities, actually.
:lol:

He was sure as well

Edit: Saw your other comments. Hope you don't live in a real free country (or near enough). Or probably you're some religious, let's say it within the forum rules, person...

CloneMC16

Everything is a choice when there are options in front of you. As another poster suggested it's similar to race, how can it be? You can choose to not have sex with women, if you're straight, and identify as any other sexuality but if you're born a specific colour you can't choose to be anything else.
Imagine doubling down on this. Your sexuality isn't a choice.

Manncunian

He was sure as well

Edit: Saw your other comments. Hope you don't live in a real free country (or near enough). Or probably you're some religious, let's say it within the forum rules, person...
I had something else in mind but couldn’t ever say the alternate to white heterosexual male without reprimand.

But I’d say it’s been confirmed anyway.

LawmanMan

Sexuality a choice? Don't make me laugh, absolute bigoted prick.

If sexuality were a choice you really think people would come out as gay in the families they have, or the countries they live, that will hate them? What a fecking choice, choosing to love someone of the same sex and being ostracised, hated, and murdered for it. You are without a doubt the dumbest person on this website
How is it bigoted? It is just an opinion different from yours. Thinking sexuality is a choice doesn’t mean you hate hay people either.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Perhaps but what an idiot for thinking this was the way to get your own back on the press. He should've just ignored them, the 'hack' excuse is codswallop the more I think about it.
The hack is obviously fake. I kind of get it, because the press over here and “Sálvame” and gossip TV shows like this have been pretty relentless for the last 2 years about his promiscuity. It was more of an “AARRGGHHH LEAVE ME ALONE, I’M GAY, WHATEVER”

He didn’t say anything against homosexuals himself, though he probably should have been more aware of the doors that his tweet opened.

Rightnr

How is it bigoted? It is just an opinion different from yours. Thinking sexuality is a choice doesn’t mean you hate hay people either.
Sexuality is as much of a choice as climate change is a political topic.

You may opt not to follow your 'real' leanings but it doesn't mean it's a choice.

The same way some people like Marmite and some don't. Those that don't like it, might have it. Doesn't mean their preference has changed

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Thinking sexuality is a choice is the sort of thing that leads to gay conversion therapy and other shit which only serves to marginalise a group of people for something they just happen to be.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
The fact that you think saying it's a choice is an opinion says more about you than anything else. It's a fact that it's not a choice, so saying it is is bigoted.

Dictionary definition of the word for you:
a person who is obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, especially one who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

LawmanMan

Thinking sexuality is a choice is the sort of thing that leads to gay conversion therapy and other shit which only serves to marginalise a group of people for something they just happen to be.
That’s a bit of a logical fallacy. Not liking dogs can lead to a person being a dog-killer but it doesn’t mean the person HAS to like dogs.

Thinking sexuality is a choice does not necessarily mean you believe certain sexualities are preferable to others. They are two separate things.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Then you should have more empathy with the situation.

However, from your comments on here I think it wouldn’t be difficult to guess which two you may stem from.

He was sure as well

I had something else in mind but couldn’t ever say the alternate to white heterosexual male without reprimand.

Fight prejudice with prejudice.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral

Well, you were assuming(wrongly) he was from certain race, just because of his comment... that's called stereotyping.

Kinda racist though.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
That’s a bit of a logical fallacy. Not liking dogs can lead to a person being a dog-killer but it doesn’t mean the person HAS to like dogs.

Thinking sexuality is a choice does not necessarily mean you believe certain sexualities are preferable to others. They are two separate things.
And yet, 99% of the persons i've heard say that sexuality is a choice were homophobs (even without knowing it).

Jippy

Staff
Just look at the reaction that the original tweet(s) got, the hatred and bile. Do you think seeing that will encourage LGBTQ+ players coke out? How about a eeing that they’re the butt of the joke between fellow pros maybe?
Maybe Casillas had a couple of lines before deciding that tweet would be top bantz.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Their joke isn’t so crazy, instead exposing and showing the hate is actually doing some good. Their joke they made would be made in a Seth rogan movie and NO ONE would bat and eye.
Doing some good? What good is it doing? Unless he posts a message saying that the reactions under his tweet were unacceptable, there's nothing that will change or that we don't already know : there's still a lot of homophobes especially among football fans and coming out will cause you to get absolutely destroyed online. It's not a movie, it's real life.

Rightnr

Fight prejudice with prejudice.
This is nonsense.

It is highly likely it's either about religion or geography. If that person wants to disprove, he's welcome do disclose his background. Until then, I'd stay the course because I live in the real world.

I would go further to explain but I'd get banned.

kaku06

Everything is a choice when there are options in front of you. As another poster suggested it's similar to race, how can it be? You can choose to not have sex with women, if you're straight, and identify as any other sexuality but if you're born a specific colour you can't choose to be anything else.
What the :houllier: :lol: :houllier: :lol:

HTG

Supports
Bayern
The good thing about this thread is that we have enough staff in here to do what’s necessary: making bad jokes while there is an open debate about wether homosexuality is a choice.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Then you should have more empathy with the situation.

However, from your comments on here I think it wouldn’t be difficult to guess which two you may stem from.
What the feck is this :lol:

Jippy

Staff
This is nonsense.

It is highly likely it's either about religion or geography. If that person wants to disprove, he's welcome do disclose his background. Until then, I'd stay the course because I live in the real world.

I would go further to explain but I'd get banned.
Making assumptions about someone's ethnicity or religion based on their views is a pretty textbook definition of prejudice.

Rightnr

Making assumptions about someone's ethnicity or religion based on their views is a pretty textbook definition of prejudice.
Well, it's either that or their intelligence but I'd get banned for that as well :lol:

Real Name

Terrible post. Sexuality is not a choice ffs. Your posts remind me of a colleague who said something in the line of you turn gay after you tried everything in life but didn't live up to the full so you try being gay too..

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

Doing some good? What good is it doing? Unless he posts a message saying that the reactions under his tweet were unacceptable, there's nothing that will change or that we don't already know : there's still a lot of homophobes especially among football fans and coming out will cause you to get absolutely destroyed online. It's not a movie, it's real life.
It makes it known there’s a lot of work to do. When was the last time homosexuality and football was discussed in terms of World Cup winners?

MattJ166

This whole thread is lunacy,

You've got the footballer making a joke about being Gay, someone saying that it's a choice then later going back on their stance when presented with new information (isn't that the entire point of trying to educate someone?) Yet still receiving hate from it. Then you've got someone who was just crying about social justice (incorrectly) racial profiling the above person then goes even further and just assumes his minority and throws a load of prejudice his way. Jesus lads do better.