Ilkay Gündogan

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...rman-international-deal-agreed-and-summer-mov

Man United in for German international, 'deal agreed' and summer move likelier

Heavily linked with a move to Manchester United and Barcelona during the early months of the summer, Ilkay Gündogan instead decided to renew his Dortmund contract for an extra two years.

With the team now performing very well under the tutelage of their new manager Thomas Tuchel, the German midfielder is once again showing why so many clubs have been after him over the years.

Finally returning to first-action football after a back injury that kept him on the sidelines for around a year, the midfielder has so far taken part in every league game for his club, only missing one game overall in the Europa League.

With the two aforementioned clubs still interested in his services, according to Kicker in Germany, another club has joined the mix in Juventus, who have been struggling so far in Serie A.

However, whether or not the Italian side need an extra midfielder needs to be seen, but with Carrick and Schweinsteiger having a combined age of 65, it’s fair to say Manchester United may need a new midfielder in the near future.

Gündogan’s current contract runs out in June 2017, meaning that a move for him in the summer, when he will have entered the final year of his current term, may be on the cards for Juventus, Barcelona or Manchester United.

Kicker don’t seem very convinced that Gündogan will stay at Dortmund beyond next summer, and frankly, we’re not either. A transfer in the winter is not considered likely, it's a summer move which is being looked at.

It will be interesting to see where the midfielder goes to, but out bet is on the Premier League.

Whether that means a move to Manchester United, that’s up to Louis Van Gaal and the player.

In May, German newspaper Der Westen went with a huge exclusive saying that Manchester United had agreed a deal to buy the player for €30m, but the deal didn't go through.

Der Westen are reliable and the thought at the time was representatives of Gundogan had agreed potential deals but clubs, including Manchester United and Barcelona, wanted to wait to be sure the German was fully back from injury.

With Gundogan required to prove his fitness and form to make any deal go through, and doing so, all eyes turn to next summer.

Tom Coast.
No deal is actually agreed. There's just talk of interest. Might be enough for some.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Will revisit this thread in May.

Devil may care

Oh yes, this would be the perfect transfer to keep our midfield rock solid with Schneiderlin and Gundogan an ideal long term pairing at the base of the 4-2-3-1.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
A little misleading article title to say the least.

Red Stone

How's he been this season? Is he even close to his old level? If he is, it's a no-brainer.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
How's he been this season? Is he even close to his old level? If he is, it's a no-brainer.
He's had a pretty good season thus far. He's very much enjoying Dortmund's new possession based approach.

Bwuk

Would be perfect.

Can play either the deep 2 role in a 4-2-3-1 with Morgan, or 4-3-3 with Morgan & Herrera.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Once upon a time, Sportwitness was a sensible source. With that article, however, they show that they are the same breed as Express or Metro.

InfiniteBoredom

Gundogan replacing Carrick would be a dream move.

A couple of years down the line, when BFS is done, we will still have 3 quality first choice midfielders, a reliable back up in Blind and room enough for a youngster to make the step up (Fosu-Mensah)

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
He signed that extension just so that he can prove his fitness as no club was paying what he demanded. Its him showing look i can play at a good level and not get injured all the time. 30 million was asked last time it will be this time too. it will come down to who offers most wages.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Would like a bit more power in there personally, but if he is the Ilkay we know and love - then obviously.

Dante

Average bang
Gundogan, Pogba and Tielemans can't all go to Barca in the Summer. It wouldn't surprise me if we got one of them.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Anyway the Dotmund based journo has again claimed Der Western aren't for making up stories and that their editor was adamant that there was a deal. She says although she can't verify claims, she thinks something was actually on during the summer. Why he didn't sign? Nobody knows.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Gundogan has been really good this season for Dortmund, he is an exceptional midfielder.

Crossie

Supports
Anyway the Dotmund based journo has again claimed Der Western aren't for making up stories and that their editor was adamant that there was a deal. She says although she can't verify claims, she thinks something was actually on during the summer. Why he didn't sign? Nobody knows.
Very simple answer: United didn't pay what Dortmund demanded.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Wouldn't he push Herrera down the pecking order under van Gaal? Not saying he isn't better or that quality depth isn't a good thing. I do believe Herrera will suffer the most because if we play a double pivot behind a #10 of say Schneiderlin-Gundogan (Schweinsteiger-Carrick), van Gaal doesn't believe Herrera could play a similar role that effectively. It's already clear that he's better as a freed, shuttling central midfielder than as a #10 which gets him in and out of the side enough already.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Is he close to the player he was before the back injury?

Von Mistelroum

He's not really any more creative than Herrera, or more mobile than Schweinsteiger so I'd strengthen elsewhere.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Its probably not true - but Id be delighted if it was as schweinstiger and carrick are not getting any younger.
I think Gundogan and Schneiderlin would actually complement each other well and there would be lots of energy in the midfield as well as having two accomplished footballers.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Think it was about the wages he was demanding.
I dont know - i think £175k a week was the figure i remember being in the press - which is high but is less than what rooney, de gea and schweinstiger are on so I dont think it would have crippled us - I figured they wanted to see if he was properly over his injuries before signing a long term contract? but its all guesswork isnt it

Varun

Staff
I dont know - i think £175k a week was the figure i remember being in the press - which is high but is less than what rooney, de gea and schweinstiger are on so I dont think it would have crippled us - I figured they wanted to see if he was properly over his injuries before signing a long term contract? but its all guesswork isnt it
Yes ofcourse, that's what it was. That's what I meant, the issues were with the contract he wanted and not Dortmund's asking price.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Oh yes, this would be the perfect transfer to keep our midfield rock solid with Schneiderlin and Gundogan an ideal long term pairing at the base of the 4-2-3-1.
This. He is brilliant, we need a Modric type player, and Ilkay can be as good as him. Either him or Goretzka/ Neves would be ace if we plan on fielding a double pivot midfield, which sadly limits Ander. Gundogan would be he more experienced option who can start contributing from day one; and if we don't get him then Goretzka/ Neves can sit behind Schweinsteiger for a bit before taking over full-time. Would be fairly cheap too, maybe €30-35 million. Dunno about these reports though...

Crossie

Supports
Think it was about the wages he was demanding.
Not really. Both DerWesten and German Sky Sports got information about a done deal between Gündogan and United, leaked by his family who manages him. Dortmund, however, had told him before about the minimum price tag but Ilkay wasn't able to find someone willing to pay. Dortmund didn't blink and so he extended by one year.
I'm sure it's the same next summer. It's up to him to find a club he likes to play for and willing to match the asking price.

Trizy

Would be very happy with that business, he's only turned 25 too!

Status
Not open for further replies.