g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ilkay Gündogan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Interesting that City have gotten Otamendi, De Bruyne and Gundogan, all players in positions we have needed upgrades in, all players who were super highly rated in their positions, and we seemingly haven't stood in their way at all. Maybe we know they have deeper pockets/ have the Pep factor, so we don't fully bother.
Or we knew Otamendi wasnt worth £30m+ (which he has shown he isn't) and didn't fit the profile of the CB we were looking for last summer and didn't want to take the risk on Gundogan last summer.

And De Bruyne is an odd one, he's clearly best as a #10 and we have Mata and Rooney. I'm not saying De Bruyne wouldn't have been an upgrade, I am saying it wasn't a pressing concern last summer.
However he'd be better than anything we have on the right wing this year.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Or we knew Otamendi wasnt worth £30m+ (which he has shown he isn't) and didn't fit the profile of the CB we were looking for last summer and didn't want to take the risk on Gundogan last summer.

And De Bruyne is an odd one, he's clearly best as a #10 and we have Mata and Rooney. I'm not saying De Bruyne wouldn't have been an upgrade, I am saying it wasn't a pressing concern last summer.
Our profile appeared to be "noone" last summer.

A 10 wasn't a pressing concern for City either. And our playmakers are worse than theirs so we should be looking to improve.

We might have been trying for Gundogan when noone else cared (nor he) but if City get him, they'll have gotten a player we wanted.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

A 10 wasn't a pressing concern for City either. And our playmakers are worse than theirs so we should be looking to improve.

We might have been trying for Gundogan when noone else cared (nor he) but if City get him, they'll have gotten a player we wanted.
Really? Overwhelming majority of us were over the moon with Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin. Midfield was sorted right. And plenty expressed concerns over Gundogans back problems. Now we're moaning that City might have signed him.

And let's do our job and get top 4, see if he still goes there then.

I'm not overly concerned and I don't think our midfield is a huge concern. Primary positions to sort this summer are CB and attack (RW and striker if the manager deems it necessary).

Our midfielders will look a lot better when they don't have to sit as deep as they currently do to protect our defence. If Carrick goes, yeah we need an extra body in there. Schmidfield, Herrera, Renato Sanches plus 1 (Kroos?) are great options IMO.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Waiting for Professor Kevin to come in and say Gundogan is overrated and that he would be devasted if we signed him so its good that he is going to City anyway.

ravi2

Interesting that City have gotten Otamendi, De Bruyne and Gundogan, all players in positions we have needed upgrades in, all players who were super highly rated in their positions, and we seemingly haven't stood in their way at all. Maybe we know they have deeper pockets/ have the Pep factor, so we don't fully bother.

We did bid big money for Ramos, Neymar, Mueller and Bale (numerous times by all reports). So it isnt the money that is the problem, more like target acquisition and lack of pulling power.

We were never going to get those players, and Ed and LVG were naive for thinking they would come here at this juncture. Ed has repeated this "biggest club in the world" nonsense so much he believed his own hype.

Hopefully Jose will select attainable targets, we can still land players such as Laporte/Griezmann who are capable to taking us to the next level. With his pulling power, we should be able to get exciting players even though were wouldn't be in the champions league next season (most likely)

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
We did bid big money for Ramos, Neymar, Mueller and Bale (numerous times by all reports). So it isnt the money that is the problem, more like target acquisition and lack of pulling power.

We were never going to get those players, and Ed and LVG were naive for thinking they would come here at this juncture. Ed has repeated this "biggest club in the world" nonsense so much he believed his own hype.
True for Neymar and Müller but you could have gotten Gündogan. United didn't meet BVB's asking price and went to Schweinsteiger instead.

ravi2

True for Neymar and Müller but you could have gotten Gündogan. United didn't meet BVB's asking price and went to Schweinsteiger instead.

That is LVG's fault. Hopefully Jose has more sense than our current shithead manager.

cyberman

Yeah spend 60m on KDB for a position that was of far less concern and read the outrage on here. A lot of people were happy with Mata and Herrera as no 10 options so signing a 60m valued player for that spot would have been ridiculous.
Otamendi is having a terrible season and was faaar down the list after Ramos who was our real target for that position. We turned down Gundogan's wage demands last summer. He was ours if we wanted him. He only stayed at Dortmund after whoring himself out to every major club in Europe. We turned him down for the exact same reason everybody else did. We had no more or less interest in him than any other major club.
The grass is not always greener at the Etihad. A City fan could sit here and make the exact same argument for their side. In two summers we have signed 2 quality full backs, a holding midfielder and a top striker who can play in from the left so would supply cover for Aguero when needed and provide a goal threat from the left when Aguero does play. They are all in positions that most City fans are begging the owners to improve upon.

cyberman

That is LVG's fault. Hopefully Jose has more sense than our current shithead manager.
Did you see the shape Gundogan was in last summer after being over a year out of action coupled with his wage demands? How is LVG a shithead for turning him down after the Falcao debacle?

arthurka

We are nuts if we are not all over this...
But sadly I believe our current management to be that useless..

Crossie

Supports
I'm not a fan of LvG but think you're judging a bit quickly here. He said that Woodword is responsible for negotiations and finances. Therefore I'm more inclined to think that Woody was too risk-averse.

Walters_19_MuFc

Was an open goal last summer, decided not to take the risk. Now he's off to City. Gutted tbh.
But we took a risk on Schweinstieger - someone who has been struggling with injuries for the last few years, hence why Pep allowed him to leave.

We are really silly when it comes to our transfer dealings.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
Did you see the shape Gundogan was in last summer after being over a year out of action coupled with his wage demands? How is LVG a shithead for turning him down after the Falcao debacle?
He didn't play as well as he does now but he was still a risk worth taking. You could see his class straight away after being sidelined for so long. And I'm not buying the high wage demands thing, that is a rumour spread by the press. If Gündogan was only looking for money, why did he sign another contract extension with Dortmund? They probably pay him less wages than what some players at Newcastle earn.

cyberman

He didn't play as well as he does now but he was still a risk worth taking. You could see his class straight away after being sidelined for so long. And I'm not buying the high wage demands thing, that is a rumour spread by the press. If Gündogan was only looking for money, why did he sign another contract extension with Dortmund? They probably pay him less wages than what some players at Newcastle earn.
He went on a European tour whoring himself out to everybody. He only stayed because nobody wanted him. Fair play for getting back to the level he is at now but nobody could take a chance on him last summer. It would have been ridiculous.

Crossie

Supports
@cyberman Gofelx is correct. In fact Gündogan and United had agreed on his terms. SKY Germany and Der Westen reported this and in fact it was the truth. United though refused to pay BVB's asking price, and no party budged. Gündogan had an offer from PSG but refused. The rest is history.

Crossie

Supports
Come on mate, that's bullshit.
I exaggerate just a bit. They are heavily working on it, spread so much bullshit that in the beginning I couldn't believe I was on their own website but a fake site.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
I exaggerate just a bit. They are heavily working on it, spread so much bullshit that in the beginning I couldn't believe I was on their own website but a fake site.
Seems like they're sticking to their stance on the City - Gundogan deal being all but done (Matt Law being the latest to report it. He's saying City have beaten Liverpool...again). It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. They could have dropped the ball with this story, especially considering their firm stance on it, but with journos like Burt, Ducker and Law, they're still seen as one of the reliable papers.

I actually think the deal isn't "done" yet, but will probably be done in the summer. I guess City have agreed a deal with Gundogan's agent, but haven't agreed a fee with Dortmund yet. It's usually how things go transfer-wise before the season's over.

Crossie

Supports
Seems like they're sticking to their stance on the City - Gundogan deal being all but done (Matt Law being the latest to report it. He's saying City have beaten Liverpool...again). It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. They could have dropped the ball with this story, especially considering their firm stance on it, but with journos like Burt, Ducker and Law, they're still seen as one of the reliable papers.

I actually think the deal isn't "done" yet, but will probably be done in the summer. I guess City have agreed a deal with Gundogan's agent, but haven't agreed a fee with Dortmund yet. It's usually how things go transfer-wise before the season's over.
But that's my point. This would be exactly the same situation as United was in last summer: Agreement with the player but not the club.

Granted, I'd expect City to pay what Dortmund wants but we don't know yet. On another note, Gündogan's agent rejected 2-3 days ago reports that a deal with City is agreed so we need to wait until any party involved - Gündogan, BVB, buying club (City or whoever) - make it official.

cyberman

@cyberman Gofelx is correct. In fact Gündogan and United had agreed on his terms. SKY Germany and Der Westen reported this and in fact it was the truth. United though refused to pay BVB's asking price, and no party budged. Gündogan had an offer from PSG but refused. The rest is history.
Fair enough i knew we refused to budge on some aspect of the deal and it wasnt a case of United ballsing it up.
Wasn't Barca his first choice?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It truly is abysmal management on our part. We were willing to take a risk on a player, 7 years older and a more checkered injury record. Guardiola will get the best out of him. What's more gutting is you just know whoever we end up with in the summer won't be as good. Bollocks!

Crossie

Supports
Fair enough i knew we refused to budge on some aspect of the deal and it wasnt a case of United ballsing it up.
Wasn't Barca his first choice?
Dortmund wanted something in the €17-20m so IMHO with United's financial muscles it would have been a no-brainer but I'm not complaining. :D
Gündogan is too smart to tell the media that bluntly who's his most favorite destination but it's very obvious that Barcelona ranks very high on his list.

izec

I dont remember that we didnt want to pay his fee. I know that we agreed a deal with him, but never concluded the transfer and my impression was that Gündogan was the one who waited on other offers. I always thought Barca wanted him and he distanced himself from a move to us.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It truly is abysmal management on our part. We were willing to take a risk on a player, 7 years older and a more checkered injury record. Guardiola will get the best out of him. What's more gutting is you just know whoever we end up with in the summer won't be as good. Bollocks!
Don't worry, Jose will go full muppet and start negotiating Pogba & Kroos or something like that.

From his past seasons in other clubs the guy always wanted to take leagues by a storm.

Crossie

Supports
I dont remember that we didnt want to pay his fee. I know that we agreed a deal with him, but never concluded the transfer and my impression was that Gündogan was the one who waited on other offers. I always thought Barca wanted him and he distanced himself from a move to us.
That's how it was but it's of course up to you what you believe. Barcelona looked at him (IIRC he flew there) after United moved to Schweinsteiger but they did not come to terms.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Dortmund wanted something in the €17-20m so IMHO with United's financial muscles it would have been a no-brainer but I'm not complaining. :D
Gündogan is too smart to tell the media that bluntly who's his most favorite destination but it's very obvious that Barcelona ranks very high on his list.
Where do you get that figure from? Do you honestly believe that a club with the transfer history of United would not have offered a sum, which would have been such a small risk for them?

You declare things as facts, which were never confirmed by any party. One of the sources you cite ("Der Westen") ran a story for sevral weeks that Gündogan and United were close to reach personal agreement and that a fee between Dortmund and United was actually agreed somewhere between 25 and 30 Mi. €. After the deal fell through the same paper ran commentaries how Gündogan was the one to have played too high of a poker game and in the end did not find a right suitor for him.

All we know is that at the end of April it was announced by Gündogan that he would not extend his contract and the club stated that Gündogan would depart in the Summer. Eight weeks later he had signed a new one year contract at Dortmund. Somewhere in these weeks were negotiations which ended up failing. There were multiple conflicting media reports on the reasons for that. It is a bit too simple for my taste to declare some of them as paper talk and others as confirmations. We simply don´t know where it went wrong and no official party shed light onto that.

Last edited:

ravi2

Don't worry, Jose will go full muppet and start negotiating Pogba & Kroos or something like that.

From his past seasons in other clubs the guy always wanted to take leagues by a storm.

Thats the silver lining to this dark cloud, I expect Jose to be more sensible with target acquisition and fully backed financially.
Also he has way more pull to exciting players than LVG does.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm genuinely not concerned about him joining City. Said many times that him and Hummels were living off reputations earned 3 years ago. More so Hummels to be fair, who is absolute trash.

Gundogan has fought back since his injuries, but can definitely be improved upon.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That's how it was but it's of course up to you what you believe. Barcelona looked at him (IIRC he flew there) after United moved to Schweinsteiger but they did not come to terms.
That report was at the end of may. By the time Schweinsteiger was signed by United (mid of July), Gündogan had already sigend the new contract at Dortmund (1st of July).

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It was my understanding that the contract demands were the sticking point. At the time he was still considered a risky signing by many and we weren't willing to offer a massive sum to a player we couldn't guarantee would return to the heights he was performing at prior to his surgery. Instead we opted for Schweinsteiger, his age meant his fee would be relatively cheap and we didn't need to tie him down to a lengthy contract.

Crossie

Supports
@Sphaero
You are certainly free to believe whatever and whomever you want. I've indicated to you that in some cases my sources are not limited to the media and am a bit surprised that you appear to take what players, agents or execs of clubs say as gospel but that is of course again entirely up to you.

Crossie

Supports
It was my understanding that the contract demands were the sticking point. At the time he was still considered a risky signing by many and we weren't willing to offer a massive sum to a player we couldn't guarantee would return to the heights he was performing at prior to his surgery. Instead we opted for Schweinsteiger, his age meant his fee would be relatively cheap and we didn't need to tie him down to a lengthy contract.
Gündogan's agent briefed SKY Germany* and Der Westen otherwise - that United and Gündogan agreed terms - and this fits with what I was told.

* There was a user here on the forum last summer who reported this, he had an apprenticeship there or something IIRC, and it fit with what I learned. I may be able to dig the post out and come back here.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Gündogan's agent briefed SKY Germany* and Der Westen otherwise - that United and Gündogan agreed terms - and this fits with what I was told.

* There was a user here on the forum last summer who reported this, he had an apprenticeship there or something IIRC, and it fit with what I learned. I may be able to dig the post out and come back here.
If you can/can be arsed find it that would be great. Not that I'm suggesting you're making it up just might for some reason I had it as down as contractual reasons.

Sphaero

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
@Sphaero
You are certainly free to believe whatever and whomever you want. I've indicated to you that in some cases my sources are not limited to the media and am a bit surprised that you appear to take what players, agents or execs of clubs say as gospel but that is of course again entirely up to you.
Oh, I don´t but at least in the way people say it can often mean a lot more than what some journalists cook up. There are a few people around Dortmund who have proven to be at least somewhat trustworthy and in the end I make my own judgement or don´t do so (like in this case) at all. Funny how you later use the briefing of Gündogan´s agents towards the media as evidence, though.

If you have internal knowledge of the club, good for you, but I ran across a lot of those in real life and the net and not all of them turned out to be a super informed as they believed.

izec

Wasnt it @Cro?

Cro

It was me. Had an apprenticeship in an editorial department for Sky Germany and what I heard in a phone conference was exactly what Crossie said. The journo said, that he was contacted by a family member (not sure if it was his uncle (his manager) or father (his agent)) and that a deal was agreed between the both parties and the rest should be just a matter of time. He was really certain on this, because the news came directly from the Gündogan camp.

edit:
Don't call myself an insider or something, at the time I was just full of joy and listened really good, because I really like Gündogan as a player and love United.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.