Ilkay Gündogan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

We should be in the mix for him as well. A top class player going there and we aren't even making an effort.

It's like De Bruyne. Everyone knew he was class, the fee wasn't outrageous, so why on earth didn't we go after him too.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Just the kind of player our midfield desperately needs. If personal terms are agreed as the report claims then we'll sign him, the transfer fee will just be a matter of time before something is settled.

izec

Didnt he cost 30 million euros last summer? The fee just got raised 15m pounds, the guy has a one year contract. Seems like the German clubs have learned to demand a higher fee from English clubs

Skills

Snitch
He'd be a great addition to their midfield but I've no idea why they don't just pay the £36 million. Didn't they pay somewhere around that for Mangala?
He has a year left on his contract and had a pretty serious injury not too long ago. Plus Kroos in a similar position went for £25m, so their offer looks pretty fair.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He has a year left on his contract and had a pretty serious injury not too long ago. Plus Kroos in a similar position went for £25m, so their offer looks pretty fair.
Ah ok. Makes sense then.

DarkXaero

We should be in the mix for him as well. A top class player going there and we aren't even making an effort.

It's like De Bruyne. Everyone knew he was class, the fee wasn't outrageous, so why on earth didn't we go after him too.
De Bruyne wasn't cheap by any means, he cost 55 million pounds.

Fer

I hope we sell Fellaini and sign Gundogan. We need creative players that can control the tempo. He is also good as deep lying playmaker. The other option is to start playing with a midfield of 3 where Herrera, Pereira, Schneiderlin, Blind, Schweinsteiger Fosu-Mensah rotate. We need balance in our midfield and be more dynamic.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If we aren't going for him, it's probably because we probably know we can't win this battle. He would be absolutely perfect for both us and City. One of the best midfielders out there, and at a great age to be the heart of the midfield for years to come. He'll improve City big time and fix a lot of their issues.

Blackwidow

At the end they will pay it. There aren't many players of his class on the market - and the ones that might be aren't cheaper. And they are badly in need...

Walters_19_MuFc

Gundogan and Schneiderlin is something I would like to see if we play a 4231.

If we play a 433, then Schneiderlin holding, with Gundogan as the 8 and Herrera as the advanced 8 (I call it the Iniesta role :p)

ghagua

Best time to have gotten Gundogan was last year when he was a free agent. Should have paid what he wanted in wages, because I don't think we stand any kind of chance with him now.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
we wont have a chance of getting a player like this if we don't resolve the management issue soon
What annoys me about this is we could have signed him, but LvG is a complete idiot.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Best time to have gotten Gundogan was last year when he was a free agent. Should have paid what he wanted in wages, because I don't think we stand any kind of chance with him now.
He wasn't a free agent, he was in the last year of his contract.

Mani

Its a time when he's coming back from long injury lay off, and how many would took a risk of signing him?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Its a time when he's coming back from long injury lay off, and how many would took a risk of signing him?
We took the risk on Bastian instead, wrong choice.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Didnt he cost 30 million euros last summer? The fee just got raised 15m pounds, the guy has a one year contract. Seems like the German clubs have learned to demand a higher fee from English clubs
I think his form this season, and sort of allaying all fitness concerns about him, plus much more interest in him (probably because of his form and fitness) means the price is higher.

IIRC, last season he struggled to find many, if any, suitors who offered to pay him his wages because of those fitness concerns.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Bastian wasn't injured or in long lay off,anyway IMO we should have bite the bullet and took risk in signing both.
Bastians injury record was well known, missed a lot of games due to various injuries as he has once again this season. Also Gundogan was back playing and had been given a full bill of health and had overcome his back issues, but of course some must have been weary about it all.

salford_

I wonder if the Bluemoon mob rated him so highly when it looked like he was Utd bound? I think not. Fickle bunch

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It always amazes me how English journalists manage to tell these things down to concrete numbers.
#bestjournalistsintheworld

That being said Dortmund's DoF is quoted by Bild that he didn't receive any offer and that the status hasn't changed.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It always amazes me how English journalists manage to tell these things down to concrete numbers.
#bestjournalistsintheworld

That being said Dortmund's DoF is quoted by Bild that he didn't receive any offer and that the status hasn't changed.
True, but why not start thje negotiations high? The plastics have a stupid amount of money afterall. If they want him, let them bleed a bit.

ghagua

He had 1 full season with Dortmund and Germany. He started off slow, but from January was playing at a high level. He will always be a high risk player because of his injury, but risk would have been lowered with no transfer fee being involved.

Mani

He had 1 full season with Dortmund and Germany. He started off slow, but from January was playing at a high level. He will always be a high risk player because of his injury, but risk would have been lowered with no transfer fee being involved.
Yeah we should have gone after him last season considering no fee involved ,but who knows what else our people at top looking at.
With early invitation from city I think now chances are low for us to sign.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Maybe I'm wrong, but I am sure he was a free agent last summer.
His first contract ran until 2015 (when he joined) and was afterwards extended by one year in each of the two following Summers, meaning his contract when he negotiated with United was until 2016 and then later extended until 2017.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah we should have gone after him last season considering no fee involved ,but who knows what else our people at top looking at.
With early invitation from city I think now chances are low for us to sign.
There was a fee involved, the fee was supposedly around 30m€.

Mani

For some I was thinking it was his final year of contract.May be that's the reason we stayed away ,30M and his injury issue.Hargo lesson proving to be costly.We should have started looking at him by last December if at all we had any interest in him.

ghagua

His first contract ran until 2015 (when he joined) and was afterwards extended by one year in each of the two following Summers, meaning his contract when he negotiated with United was until 2016 and then later extended until 2017.
Thanks for clearing that up. I think the best time to get him was last year. I do not see him at United at all, if he comes to England, then City would be his choice.

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
I think you're right, if memory serves he signed a new contract
In two consecutive summers, when he had one year of contract left, Gündogan extended his contract by one year. Therefore he hasn't been anywhere near to a free agent. Lewandowski, however, was; perhaps that's gets mixed up.

Dortmund aren't greedy; the fee was about €20m. By that time, Gündogan may not have had his best ever season but it was a very manageable risk. He had been playing from match day 8 (IIRC) to 34 without significant health issues.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No it's not!! He's not the same player of 3 years ago and he had a year left on his contract. That's a robbery. They most be the German Chelsea!!
Hasn't he been fantastic this season? That's what I've heard. Other than Veratti, he'd be the ideal CM signing for us IMO, if he has. Maybe even more so given he's more attack minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.