I'm calling it: DDG is the best we've ever had

Silver

In my lifetime as a United supporter, I've had the privilege of watching Schmeichel, VDS and now De Gea. Three of the best. De Gea might just be the best out of the three... only thing missing for him compared to the other two is silverware. I hope he sticks around longer to win some more with us.

Ibi Dreams

Where does this save rank in the list of all time great saves? Gotta be up there surely.

Every week he sets about cementing his status as United's GOAT goalkeeper. I think he is close to reaching that goal, if not already.
The video is gone already, I need to see it again. It looked absolutely impossible during the game, I couldn't believe he saved it.

Jaae

Not ITK
Schmeichel was better at one on ones, more commanding of his area, and better at starting counter attacks.
Van der Sar was better with the ball at his feet, dealing with crosses, and organising the defense in front of him.
de Gea's the best shot-stopper, best reflexes, and arguably less error-prone. Also his handling when dealing with shots is amongst the best I've seen. He rarely spills shots.

We're lucky to have had 3 world class GKs in the last 20 years.

11 saves in one half vs Spurs

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Imagine still being under the illusion that De Gea isn’t our best ever goalkeeper... Hard to imagine that there’s freaks out there that supposedly hold an alternative viewpoint but here we are.

I also still maintain De Gea is Ferguson’s best-ever signing. Absolutely phenomenal goalkeeper.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Imagine still being under the illusion that De Gea isn’t our best ever goalkeeper... Hard to imagine that there’s freaks out there that supposedly hold an alternative viewpoint but here we are.

I also still maintain De Gea is Ferguson’s best-ever signing. Absolutely phenomenal goalkeeper.
People try and say he's not the current best GK in the premier league. People are strange.

Deleted member 101472

To be honest the argument is there that schmeichel is better still.

What isn’t up for debate is that de Gea needs to spend all his free time working on distribution with his feet, and maybe just maybe come five yards further off his line from time to time.

He’s undeniably one of the greatest shotstoppers in the history of the game though, so if that’s all we want to judge goalkeepers on then yes, he’s the best we have ever had.

Sylar

Imagine if he has Bruce and pallister or stam and Johnson or Rio and vidic in front of him

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Behind a solid defence that gives away few chances, I’d have VDS still. De Gea’s great when having to make saves, and yes that is his prime responsibility, but keepers need to do so much more for the top sides.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Schmeichel and VDS for the most part had solid defences in front of them. For them it was more keeping concentration for when the opposition got a rare decent shot on goal. Also commanding the area and communication. Very rarely would they face a barrage like Dave did today and has many times in the past.

De Gea’s had mostly vulnerability in front of him and to pull of save after save, game after game, season after season is incredible. Undoubtedly our best ever, in my opinion

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Best shot stopped I’ve ever seen but he does have weaknesses. He doesn’t dominate his area anything like Schmeichel and his kicking is generally abysmal with his kicking compared to most keepers let alone VDS.

All three were great in their own way.

lsd

The Oracle

Comparing players from different eras is madness .

I can never understand why people just cannot be happy saying someone is the best there is today or even the best they have seen

What sort of ego do you have to have to claim someone is the best ever ? It's such a dumb thing to say

Deleted member 101472

Does anyone have an explanation that makes sense for his reluctance to come off his line at all? Was an instance today where lindelof chested it down waiting for De Gea and he didn’t even make a move for it.

Ibi Dreams

Best shot stopped I’ve ever seen but he does have weaknesses. He doesn’t dominate his area anything like Schmeichel and his kicking is generally abysmal with his kicking compared to most keepers let alone VDS.

All three were great in their own way.
I won't say he dominates the box like Schmeichel, but that punch from their corner right at the end was fantastic. I didn't expect it at all, he seemed to appear from nowhere to smash it away

LoveFootball

He's the GOAT when it comes to goalkeepers. The only thing separating him with the best of the best is trophies and I'm pretty sure he'll win them with us very soon, otherwise he'd be a forgotten hero like Best who's only remembered by United fans despite being one of the best ever.

But the real question is: is he better than Allisson?

Melville Red

Any one mentioned Alex Stepney?

Only joking, remember keepers back then not wearing gloves, they must have had had hard hands for the ball not to sting back then.

For me though it’s got to be Peter S.

Yes I can’t spell big long foreign names.

IAmAWinner

Not sure why people have to be so extreme to make their point. You are not a freak if you consider Schmeichel to be better than De Gea.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He's up there with big Pete and Oliver Khan.

For me Khan was the best of all time.

Moriarty

Any one mentioned Alex Stepney?

Only joking, remember keepers back then not wearing gloves, they must have had had hard hands for the ball not to sting back then.

For me though it’s got to be Peter S.

Yes I can’t spell big long foreign names.
Don't mock Alex Stepney. He was a superb goalie in an era of world-class English goalies.

Moriarty

Reminded me today of Schmeichel at Newcastle back in the day. Saved everything that came at him. Kane must have been having fits.

Flexdegea

He's the GOAT when it comes to goalkeepers. The only thing separating him with the best of the best is trophies and I'm pretty sure he'll win them with us very soon, otherwise he'd be a forgotten hero like Best who's only remembered by United fans despite being one of the best ever.

But the real question is: is he better than Allisson?

Good question :lol:

Siorac

He is brilliant but that is absolute madness.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
His kicking isn't bad at all, and kicking is a minor concern, even in the modern game, for a truly great keeper, which De Gea is. I wouldn't swap him for any keeper in the world right now.
It really is. He kicks it out for a throw in like 3-4 times a game and often gives it straight to the opposition in our own half.

I'd be willing to be Guardiola wouldn't have him.

Thiagoal

His greatest ability is that he makes the oppositions shots look poor because of the fact his positioning is just absolutely fantastic. The way he narrows angles so the 'goal is smaller' for the attacker is the best I've ever seen. Add to that cat like reactions and his ability to throw a leg at shots which would go through or under 9 out of 10 other keepers and he's one of the GOAT in my opinion...love him to bits!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Best shotstopper Ive ever seen. His distribution is lacking though and he's not the best positionally when coming of his line. Which is odd because he's amazing positionally when on his line.

Currently the best in the world though for me.

LoveFootball

Maybe during the last stage of his career. Because that honor should go to the like of Cantona, CR7, Rooney or Giggs, isn't it?

It really is. He kicks it out for a throw in like 3-4 times a game and often gives it straight to the opposition in our own half.

I'd be willing to be Guardiola wouldn't have him.
I think he would. Dave is the best in the EPL by far. No keeper is perfect, but any criticisms of De Gea's game really are minor.