I'm calling it: DDG is the best we've ever had

Superunknown

I really like him and think that he has had many great seasons for us. But, this hasn't been a good season for him at all and he's fallen well short of his own standards. The mistakes today were not mistakes that he would have been making two or so seasons ago. Very worrying that we need to look at this position seriously when there are other areas of the squad that also need looking at. It's a problem we could do without.

Toad

So your only reason for replying was to argue the semantics of form vs decline? In response to a post saying that what we’re seeing now doesn’t cancel out what came before?
I was in the most simplest way questioning your use of the word form, yes. You didn’t understand the post and continued to try and put words in my mouth. You are the one being argumentative, my last post should have been an end to it as should this one but will you carry on? Are you too involved now?

we will soon see...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Yeah he reached the highest peak that any United keeper had but he’s done now. Bizarre bumping this thread though as Rooney was absolutely woeful at the end of his career here but he was still one of our best players ever at one point.

People will make all sorts of excuses for some players but will shit on a player who has played for us over 400 times and for half of those performances he won POTY award. Nice one.

Falcow

Aside from the errors his kicking is poor as is his command of the box. I really like big Dave but he needs to be replaced and Hendo at least deserves a shot at it next season.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
It's easy to come into this thread and trash it after a poor game, but in 2016 it was arguable there was a three way argument between Pete, VdS and De Gea in the PL, with the answer coming down mostly to your favourite United 'era' and personal preference. Now I don't think it is, for me it's Pete and VdS in that order at the top with De Gea some way off.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
The way pundits on MOTD defend him reminds me of the way they defended Rooney towards the end. All the talk about his ‘credentials’ and nothing about the fact he’s costing us points week in, week out in the present.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
He is good but have to agree with Roy Keane that he has to be one of the most overrated goalkeepers the Premier League has ever seen. It all stemmed from how much criticism he got when he first came here after making quite a few mistakes, but then he started to cut out those mistakes and at the same time made a lot of saves with his feet, which is a bit unorthodox but looked great for cameras. This led to the narrative of 'see how good he is, you only criticized him because he plays for United' and it just became a big trendy circle jerk to say how good he is over the years, being helped by winning numerous player of the seasons (because of the tremendous vacuum of good performers in our team post-Fergie). Don't get me wrong, he's a good goalkeeper, but he's not on VDS/PS levels.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
The revisionism with De Gea is a bit weird. It was debatable whether he was ever the best keeper in the world, but Neuer is an exceptional keeper even compared to past greats. The idea that the praise was an overcompensation for the harsh criticism to begin with is nuts. Over a 4 year period he was one of the best and most reliable keepers we've ever had.

He's turned into a calamitous keeper like Casillas in his latter years, but it doesn't point to underlying flaws that were overlooked before. They're an entirely new feature. It's a shame but if we keep him as 1st choice next season we're handicapping ourselves.

davidmichael

This thread much like the ‘James could be our best signing since RVP’ has NOT aged well at all, love De Gea for all he’s done for the club in the past but there’s zero room for sentiment and much like Casillas was he peaked young and is done at the top level young so let’s give Romero the last two league games as they’re arguably the most important games in our post Sir Alex history.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He is good but have to agree with Roy Keane that he has to be one of the most overrated goalkeepers the Premier League has ever seen. It all stemmed from how much criticism he got when he first came here after making quite a few mistakes, but then he started to cut out those mistakes and at the same time made a lot of saves with his feet, which is a bit unorthodox but looked great for cameras. This led to the narrative of 'see how good he is, you only criticized him because he plays for United' and it just became a big trendy circle jerk to say how good he is over the years, being helped by winning numerous player of the seasons (because of the tremendous vacuum of good performers in our team post-Fergie). Don't get me wrong, he's a good goalkeeper, but he's not on VDS/PS levels.
You know what's funny?

If he had used his feet today, he'd have saved at least 1 of the attempts that went in.

SAFMUTD

We should have not renewed his contract, we were warned about his feck ups and still we gave him a new contract with massive wages.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
This goalkeeper has had 3 trouble periods.

When he arrived

Contract negotiations during van gaal tenure

The last two years

So why the hell is he still playing every game?!

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
We should have not renewed his contract, we were warned about his feck ups and still we gave him a new contract with massive wages.
Exactly. He has absolutely shocking levels of concentration too. He is not a winner. Weak mentality.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
These last couple of years are killing his legacy unfortunately.

He was almost flawless for years, hence a thread like this even being made.

But time won't see him at Schmeichel levels.

Fooza

I can understand the anger and the lack of faith in him because he has been dodgy in past games and this one.

However, I'm still in the DDG camp he did well vs Palace and we still need to show him a bit of support. Hoping next season he gets back of old.( I know I will get some hate on this statement but I'm sticking to the DDG in camp, for now)

Welbeckham

Has always been heavily overrated, given that his limited style of goalkeeping has always prevented him from being one of the best in the world, or as good as VdS for that matter. And the amount of costly, decisive mistakes he’s made during last two seasons is just unforgivable for any goalkeeper, and the fact that he’s still playing really doesn’t compliment Ole as a manager. When his passive playing style mostly consists of not taking any risks and avoiding mistakes, that makes all those ridiculous mistakes even worse.

GenZRed

feck it, it's true, certainly in my lifetime anyway.

Only true now if you were born in the year 2011.

How stupid this thread looks now. He did look world-class from the time 2012-2016 but now he is the third best goalkeeper we have had in the Premiership era (I'm not old enough to remember any non-Premiership United GKs).

I obviously don't need to mention who the top 2 Man United goalkeepers are.

montpelier

I don't think he was overrated during the 2 seasons he looked unbeatable at times. But this is now a pale shadow of that player.

The 1st goal today had a better than 50% chance of being flicked very close to him. There is NO preparation, it's a surprise, and then there's no reflexes - he'd have saved it 4yrs ago.

Bizarrely, the 2nd one, he again manages to have no preparation - look where his hands are. And he sees that from 25yds.

The 3rd one possibly looks worse than it is, off a defender.

But very sadly, he looks done to me. Reflexes aren't coming back, concentration mustn't be there, confidence has gone.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The issue with him was that he was a keeper with a very limited skilset hence I never rated him as a world class keeper due to those reasons. Van der Sar we signed when he was 34 years old and he will rightly go down as a better keeper for the club in comparison.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He was exceptional for a very long time when this thread was made. However, he's given way too many gifts to opposition teams and particularly Chelsea and Arsenal.

It's hard to say what to do with him now but I'd look to move him on ASAP next season. Maybe get him and Henderson to compete. I personally am completely at odds on how to proceed, given the many areas of the squad need improving.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This goalkeeper has had 3 trouble periods.

When he arrived

Contract negotiations during van gaal tenure

The last two years

So why the hell is he still playing every game?!
Seriously? What relevance does this have?

Nori-

Whatever is going through his head at the moment I hope he gets over it by the start of next season.

His ability has never been a doubt, one of the best if not the best in the world when he's on form. Its been a long year, some time off this summer will do him some good.

He should definetely stay as our number one next year. Dean Henderson given another loan.

Bojan11

Whatever is going through his head at the moment I hope he gets over it by the start of next season.

His ability has never been a doubt, one of the best if not the best in the world when he's on form. Its been a long year, some time off this summer will do him some good.

He should definetely stay as our number one next year. Dean Henderson given another loan.
People said the exact same shit last year. The only time off he needs is away from our goal. He’s not good enough anymore. Same with Rooney. It’s sad to see, but the club and management need to make that decision because it’s clearly evident from his performances.

Revan

Assumptionman
People said the exact same shit last year. The only time off he needs is away from our goal. He’s not good enough anymore. Same with Rooney. It’s sad to see, but the club and management need to make that decision because it’s clearly evident from his performances.
He is 29, so you never know. VDS was older when Juventus sold him cause he was a failure.

Saying that, he definitely needs to get dropped. Not for a match or two, but needs to get permanently dropped. Let him fight for his position, if he impresses in cup matches while Romero fecks up in the league, then he gets back his position. Essentially, switch his position with Romero's.

Hanky panky

Schmeichel is the best we have had. DDG wasn't overrated at all when he was at his best. He was our the most important player for years. Don't forget that. Unfortunately he isn't that good anymore, or right now. Reminds me about Pogba. The difference between good and bad day is huge.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He is 29, so you never know. VDS was older when Juventus sold him cause he was a failure.

Saying that, he definitely needs to get dropped. Not for a match or two, but needs to get permanently dropped. Let him fight for his position, if he impresses in cup matches while Romero fecks up in the league, then he gets back his position. Essentially, switch his position with Romero's.
Van der Sar was hardly a failure at Juve. He was a champions league winning keeper before he joined Juve and in his 66 Serie A apperances in two seasons at the club, Juve had the best defensive record in the league on both occasions. He did make errors in his time in Italy though and was ruthlessly cast aside in favour of the much hyped next big thing from Parma, Buffon.

De Gea is a shot stopper and has very little else. If we want to implement a progressive play style going forward and build up from the back we must sign a keeper who has sweeper abilities and get rid of De Gea. A level of ruthlessness needs to be shown here and sentiments need to be put to one side for the good of the club. Because a keeper as limited as De Gea just isn't good enough.

Jibbs

The way pundits on MOTD defend him reminds me of the way they defended Rooney towards the end. All the talk about his ‘credentials’ and nothing about the fact he’s costing us points week in, week out in the present.
Awarding him a new contract was just as big a mistake as awarding Rooney 6 years contract in 2013.

JohnnyKills

Without being any expert on goalkeeping, I imagine that if a goalkeeper who relies on reflexes and agility, like De Gea, has a shorter shelf life than someone who relies on positioning and presence, like a Schmeichel or a Seaman.

Si perhaps it's not surprising to see him dipping slightly.