I'm calling it: DDG is the best we've ever had

MoskvaRed

The worrying thing for us is that De Gea is approaching the end of his seventh season at United and has won one league title (5 years ago) and not played in the Champions League beyond the QFs. No doubt he is fantastically well paid at United but it’s a poor return for the best player in the world in his position.

Web of Bissaka

Make him the highest paid player, he deserve it.

And actually he's becoming more of a captain than our other players - more imposing than his previous seasons, yelling commands to our players and high standard consistent performance.

Captain De Gea next season?

SoCross

Always get angry when this thread gets bumped, best GK we have ever had - you have got to be joking?

It's getting to the point where we need to start saying best player we've ever had.
I said something alone similar lines earlier in this thread. Can't speak for the older supporters who've seen the likes of Best and Edwards but De Gea is arguably in my 20ish years of supporting United the best I've seen. He's like a goalkeeping Messi lol.

How feasible is to argue that David De Gea is the best player we ever had? Not just goalkeeper. Guy's been world class for almost five seasons now, arguably the best keeper in the world. Whom have we had to lay claim to a 'best....' in the world?

Ronaldo is the only recent example and that was just two seasons too.

Edit: Just voicing out thoughts.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Make him the highest paid player, he deserve it.

And actually he's becoming more of a captain than our other players - more imposing than his previous seasons, yelling commands to our players and high standard consistent performance.

Captain De Gea next season?
He’s absolutely brilliant, I’d rate him as highly as Schmiechel. This stat tells it all:

OptaJoe‏@OptaJoe
14 - David de Gea has conceded 19 Premier League goals this season, but based on Opta xG data for theshots on target he's faced, the average goalkeeper would have been expected to concede 33 goals. This isthe biggest differential by a PL goalkeeper in 2017-18. Exceptional.

And if one was to analysis Mignolet, those 33 goals would probably become 43 goals. That is the value of a keeper like De Gea.

Reactions: langster

RooneyLegend

How people rate him with other keepers like buffon or casillas?
He's better than Casislas cause he's specializes in what Casilas did, but better in every other aspect. I'd say he's a modern day Buffon. Peerless in his calmness, anticipation, positioning, reflexes and seemingly without a mistake in him for long stretches of time. The slight differences between the two are that Buffon had real size on himself so was generally better at poaching crosses. DDG has the added advantage of normalizing the foot save. They also have similar distribution. While they are comfortable with the ball and knocking it about and have a decent midrange passing game they are terrible with the hoof, just like with DDG when Buffon went for it the ball would sometimes fall into no mans land.

red_john

Unbelievable keeper and yes on the way to becoming our best ever. If he stays for a few more seasons and we win the prem and the chmaps within that period then I would say he is the best we have ever had.

Slimcharles69

Supports
MK Dons
I don't think I'm exagerrating in saying that he is on his way to becoming the best keeper ever

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
I've changed my mind since the last time I posted in this thread. I originally opined that Schmiechel still edged it between him and De Gea as the best we've ever had. Now I think De Gea has moved ahead. Which also means that De Gea, in my view, is probably the best of all time. (I had always considered Schmiechel the greatest)

In my book, it's Now De Gea, Schmiechel and Buffon, in that order.
Don't none of you draft freaks come at me with Eugene Levy/Lev Yashin or whatever the hell you call that bloke. He was basically saving a leather bound breeze block, that did not move around or barely swerve at all.

I do feel sorry for De Gea, though. The last two times we've had a goalkeeper considered to be the best in the world (Schmiechel/Van Der Sar) just look at the defences they had in front of them and the overall quality of the teams they played in. Schmiechel and Van Der Sar were considered the best in the world and they weren't even close to being the best players in their respective squads.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Don't none of you draft freaks come at me with Eugene Levy/Lev Yashin or whatever the hell you call that bloke. He was basically saving a leather bound breeze block, that did not move around or barely swerve at all.
Yes, this. I'm sure Yashin was world class at what he did but it's hard to compare him to the modern goalkeeper. Also, not one of us saw him play and there's very little footage of him to judge.

The Don

Yes, this. I'm sure Yashin was world class at what he did but it's hard to compare him to the modern goalkeeper. Also, not one of us saw him play and there's very little footage of him to judge.
Exactly! My remark was a bit tongue-in-cheek but I can't really take it seriously, when people compare goalkeepers of that era, to modern goalkeepers.
I think goalkeepers had it easier back then. All the time in the world on the ball, backpasses allowed, no real ball movement, not expected to be good with their feet.
It was the opposite for outfield players. They had it much tougher then their modern day counterparts.

Sagittarius13

It pisses me off when some people still think Neuer or Buffon are better, It seems they haven't seen our David perform, his saves count sometimes as 3 points like a winner goal, he's been undoubtly the best in the world for the past 3 years, he's just too good to be compared to Oblak or any other right now.

Sorry for bad english.

OldRed1

Exactly! My remark was a bit tongue-in-cheek but I can't really take it seriously, when people compare goalkeepers of that era, to modern goalkeepers.
I think goalkeepers had it easier back then. All the time in the world on the ball, backpasses allowed, no real ball movement, not expected to be good with their feet.
It was the opposite for outfield players. They had it much tougher then their modern day counterparts.
I believe that this comment is one of the most ridiculous I have ever read, surely this is the tongue-in-cheek comment you were referring to. Let's remember that there were no substitutes in the Lev Yashin era so an injured keeper had to be replaced by an outfielder and there was virtually no protection from the refs for them either. I think that some centre forwards of that era were there to make sure a goalkeeper was left flat out on the ground. Great player that De Gea is I doubt he'd have anywhere near the physical attributes to have succeeded in the 50's. You mentioned the leather ball and it's lack of movement, if it was wet and hit with enough venom it wouldn't need movement, it would carry the keeper over the line if he got behind it as I saw with a Duncan Edwards shot once. Bert Trautman of Man City had his neck broken in a cup final and carried on playing and Ray Wood playing for United had his collar bone broken in a cup final and was replaced by an outfield player, but tried to help out on the wing.

The Don

I believe that this comment is one of the most ridiculous I have ever read, surely this is the tongue-in-cheek comment you were referring to. Let's remember that there were no substitutes in the Lev Yashin era so an injured keeper had to be replaced by an outfielder and there was virtually no protection from the refs for them either. I think that some centre forwards of that era were there to make sure a goalkeeper was left flat out on the ground. Great player that De Gea is I doubt he'd have anywhere near the physical attributes to have succeeded in the 50's. You mentioned the leather ball and it's lack of movement, if it was wet and hit with enough venom it wouldn't need movement, it would carry the keeper over the line if he got behind it as I saw with a Duncan Edwards shot once. Bert Trautman of Man City had his neck broken in a cup final and carried on playing and Ray Wood playing for United had his collar bone broken in a cup final and was replaced by an outfield player, but tried to help out on the wing.
Get back in your box. You quote my post with bolded bits and then don't address any of the bolded bits whatsoever. It might have well been more physical back then but don't forget most goalkeepers were bigger and stronger than outfield players and I guaran-dam-tee you keepers got away with more fouls on attackers than the other way round. Goalkeepers now, are quicker, more agile, better footballing brain, better distribution and better technique and are much fitter. They have to deal with shots where the ball can move drastically at the last minute. Balls that travel faster etc. You could put any two keepers from that era in the same goal and they still wouldn't save the shots De Gea saves.
So you can name two keepers that got hurt, over 50 years ago, and that somehow puts Yashin anywhere near De Gea's level? You're having a laugh.

Web of Bissaka

I do feel sorry for De Gea, though. The last two times we've had a goalkeeper considered to be the best in the world (Schmiechel/Van Der Sar) just look at the defences they had in front of them and the overall quality of the teams they played in. Schmiechel and Van Der Sar were considered the best in the world and they weren't even close to being the best players in their respective squads.
Agree. Mourinho's system and Valencia's resurgence as RB helps, but it's not enough. Our other players have to do better.

The Don

Agree. Mourinho's system and Valencia's resurgence as RB helps, but it's not enough. Our other players have to do better.
Yep. I don't normally like to be negative about our players. I like to try and be positive. Smalling, Jones, Rojo etc are decent defenders. Bailly is quite good. Lindelof is a bit of an unknown quantity at this point but all are capable of good defending at their best. However none of them come close to the defences Schmikes and VDS had in front of them, which makes the performances of DDG all the more special.

dogwithabone

The only thing, rightly or wrongly, edging it in my opinion is that Schmiechel is associated with greater success. As for keeping the ball out of the net I think they are now on a par. De Gea is better with his feet distribution wise (helped by more emphasis on ball playing keepers nowadays) but Schmiechel had a tremendous throw and a quick eye to set up attacks.

Both have an identity too. Schmiechel had his star shaped save whereby all parts of his body would keep the ball out, while DDG has made saving with his feet an art form and made some ridiculous saves this way. I felt marginally more confident with Schmiechel in terms of commanding his area from crosses and dead balls coming in but De Gea has improved immensely in this respect and will get even better with experience.

Gopher Brown

The very best skill that de Gea has, which is considerably better than any other gk in the world, is his ability to divert the ball away from the 6 yard box when making his saves. He can make a brilliant save, but has the forethought to put it wide so that the strikers running in can’t have a shot on the rebound.

RooneyLegend

It pisses me off when some people still think Neuer or Buffon are better, It seems they haven't seen our David perform, his saves count sometimes as 3 points like a winner goal, he's been undoubtly the best in the world for the past 3 years, he's just too good to be compared to Oblak or any other right now.

Sorry for bad english.
Obviously comparing Buffon to him right now is a bit disingenuous, but a prime vs prime comparison is more than valid. Gigi was as faultless and spectacular as they come, certainly the bar standard in those days just as much as DDG is now. I'd argue Neuer is a more imposing goal keeper but wouldn't say he's better.

OneFootball

Supports
Liverpool
Very difficult to compare keepers of different generations. Everything was different for them. Poor pitches, poor gear, heavy challenges, worse conditioning and preparations.
Any of the greats could have played under the privileged circumstances of modern day keepers and be as good or better than what they were in their day. Notwithstanding that, De Gea is exceptional, so the sooner he packs up for Madrid the better!!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Very difficult to compare keepers of different generations. Everything was different for them. Poor pitches, poor gear, heavy challenges, worse conditioning and preparations.
Any of the greats could have played under the privileged circumstances of modern day keepers and be as good or better than what they were in their day. Notwithstanding that, De Gea is exceptional, so the sooner he packs up for Madrid the better!!
You’re obviously an oppo fan, right? Pool?

AgentP

The very best skill that de Gea has, which is considerably better than any other gk in the world, is his ability to divert the ball away from the 6 yard box when making his saves. He can make a brilliant save, but has the forethought to put it wide so that the strikers running in can’t have a shot on the rebound.
Yeah I have noticed this too. Rarely does anyone score from a rebound against us. There are also many times when he catches a powerful shot which most other keepers would punch away. The only weakness is probably his distribution under pressure.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Schmeichel had so many assist assists it was unreal. Definitely the best

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I would say De Gea makes less mistakes than Pete. Big Pete was more spectacular and had the added advantage of leadership qualities, as well as presence in the air, more charisma in general and the ability to get forward and create havoc in the other side on the pitch. So overall possibly more rounded, but as a pure goalkeeper in terms of making stops and keeping the ball out.. De Gea is the best we've had IMO.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Schmeichel had so many assist assists it was unreal. Definitely the best
He had 3 (in premier league, couldn't find stats for other comps).

5 - Paul Robinson

4 - David Seaman, Jose Reina

3 - Peter Schmeichel, Mark Crossley, Jussi Jaaskelainen, Tim Howard
https://www.premierleague.com/news/494646

I'm old enough to remember Schmeichel at his best, he was fantastic but De Gea is better.

RyRy11

I honestly believe hes worth more points to us than someone like Neymar can get individually...

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
He had 3 (in premier league, couldn't find stats for other comps).

5 - Paul Robinson

4 - David Seaman, Jose Reina

3 - Peter Schmeichel, Mark Crossley, Jussi Jaaskelainen, Tim Howard
https://www.premierleague.com/news/494646

I'm old enough to remember Schmeichel at his best, he was fantastic but De Gea is better.
By assisted assists I was referring to the fact that he threw the ball to our wingers on many occasions who assisted goals. He done this countless times and created so many winning counter attacks it was unreal.

spiriticon

He is our best goalkeeper ever. The Lionel Messi of goalkeepers. World Class save after world class save.

Ridiculous.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
I am still not quite sure what more he has to do in terms of winning the Player of the Year award, de Bruyne gets talked about as being the favourite for it, but to me it should be an easy win for de Gea.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I am still not quite sure what more he has to do in terms of winning the Player of the Year award, de Bruyne gets talked about as being the favourite for it, but to me it should be an easy win for de Gea.
You tend to have to be in a successful team to win those awards...