I'm calling it: DDG is the best we've ever had

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
He's the GOAT when it comes to goalkeepers. The only thing separating him with the best of the best is trophies and I'm pretty sure he'll win them with us very soon, otherwise he'd be a forgotten hero like Best who's only remembered by United fans despite being one of the best ever.
That's got to be a wum yeah?

I know Leeds fans who think Best was a genius.

Walters_19_MuFc

Deserves to be winning major trophies. Hopefully we can push on in the next couple of seasons and be up there with the league and CL again.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I think he would. Dave is the best in the EPL by far. No keeper is perfect, but any criticisms of De Gea's game really are minor.
No way. Not that I agree with it because I think Pep's a pretentious c*nt but he wants his keepers to be an 11th player outfield. De Gea is a goal line keeper. Ederson is better for Pep's system and De Gea's better for ours.

Thiagoal

His average rating at the moment for today's game is 9.7 :eek: Has there EVER been higher?

No way. Not that I agree with it because I think Pep's a pretentious c*nt but he wants his keepers to be an 11th player outfield. De Gea is a goal line keeper. Ederson is better for Pep's system and De Gea's better for ours.
I honestly believe he would take De Gea, but, if not, more fool him.

wolvored

Shmeichel was the best for me. His distribution was fantastic. He could throw it further than some goalies could kick. He also had the knack of saving with his feet as well. Id say if Schmeichel was marked 10. De gea 9.7 and Van De Sar 9. Best 3 keepers we have had in 40 odd years for me. Cant comment before then.

I honestly believe he would take De Gea, but, if not, more fool him.
No, I disagree - DDG wouldn’t be right for Pep - he doesn’t have the qualities Pep values most in a keeper - stribution, coming of his line and sweeping up. He’s after a completely different type of keeper. DDG is still the best in the world.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Approaching his 10th season here. One league title. Nothing of note in Europe. Nothing of note for Spain. United fans might remember all his POTYs but history won't be kind to him. In 10 years' time no one will be putting him above Schmeichel or VDS, never mind mentioning him in GOAT debates.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Approaching his 10th season here. One league title. Nothing of note in Europe. Nothing of note for Spain. United fans might remember all his POTYs but history won't be kind to him. In 10 years' time no one will be putting him above Schmeichel or VDS, never mind mentioning him in GOAT debates.
His brilliance covered his weaknesses at his peak - now his mistakes are just highlighting them.

His peak was probably the best, Schmeichel had that sheer presence you wanted from a GK, but VDS was such a calming figure so I think VDS edges it for me.

AFC NimbleThumb

I know we’ve been poor for some time but this stat shocks me.

Agree with the post, history will not be kind at all.

Rolaholic

Keano was quite harsh with his analysis earlier but there were tokens of truth there.

He's started to become more of a liability than an asset for us these last 2 seasons under Ole making mistakes that end up costing us valuable points when already in a tight race for a CL place.

If he finished the season on this same trajectory then I'd say we might need to call up Hendo a bit faster than I previously expected...

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The debacle with Spain at the world Cup seemed to destroy the guy. He was the number 1 gk in the world before Russia 2018. I don't even think he's as good as Romero or Henderson anymore. His confidence has totally gone.

izec

The debacle with Spain at the world Cup seemed to destroy the guy. He was the number 1 gk in the world before Russia 2018. I don't even think he's as good as Romero or Henderson anymore. His confidence has totally gone.
Yep, he is a shadow. You wouldn't notice any difference if there was Krul or Pickford in goal. Or any other decent championship GK.

He is the Alexis Sanchez of Goalkeepers. Imagine if we bought him 2 years ago for a large fee, he would be a laughing stock, a joke and a hate figure by now. He has done some great things in the past, but in football, that is a long time ago.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
8th goalkeeping mistake that has led to a goal. The joint worst of the season. Nowhere near good enough.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Since the start of the 2018-2019 season.

Anyway i wouldn't say that it was big mistake but a top goalkeeper should have done better.......but he must definitely improve his form :nervous:
My mistake. Since the start of the season before. Still awful though and still joint worst.

Romero is better these days. Henderson certainly is.

Sylar

8th goalkeeping mistake that has led to a goal. The joint worst of the season. Nowhere near good enough.
I'm interested to see how many cost us wins. A mistake is fine if we still win, but its doubly annoying when it leads to lost points like today and Everton (or palace?)

AaronRedDevil

It’s annoying seeing him make mistakes, but it was just a weirdly bad save, with the position his hand was in. Normally he always saves those shots. But he did make up for it with that insane reflex save from a perfectly placed header in the first half. That’s De Gea in a nutshell, makes mistakes and makes unbelievable saves as well. We’d never concede a goal if the 08 defence was there. I hate to even think of it because I don’t want him to go. But if there’s an offer, they might as well take it and try Dean.

AaronRedDevil

I'm interested to see how many cost us wins. A mistake is fine if we still win, but its doubly annoying when it leads to lost points like today and Everton (or palace?)
I remember the last 2 games last season. Straight up his fault. And I’m a de gea fanboy.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He’s not done himself any favours in the last 12 months or so but that doesn’t undo his stupendous form for the however many years prior to that so this rewriting of history and talk of him being “overrated” (Keane) is just plain dumb.

Equally as dumb is trying to judge a goalkeeper by the number of trophies won. Would Big Pete have made us win more league titles in the last 10 years? Of course not, it’s a stupid and simplistic way of looking at things.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
De Gea was a brilliant goalkeeper in his prime but like you said, he really hasn’t achieved anything. He’s won one Premier League title and two Europa League titles which is are nice achievements, but if you compare him to the great goalkeepers like Buffon, Neuer, Schmeichel, Casillas, etc... his trophy cabinet might not even exist.

Let’s not even mention his international career, which has basically been a disaster for a goalkeeper of his reputation.

Even if you compare him to goalkeepers within his age group, I believe that Alisson and Ter Stegen will go down as greater goalkeepers than De Gea because of their achievements in the Champions League. People might not think that this is fair; but that’s how football tends to work.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is there another player in world football who did nothing of note in European/International competition and was labelled the best in the world just for his shot stopping ability in domestic football?

He was a good shot stopper but he was never at any time the best in the world. The best players don't only turn up in domestic football.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He’s not done himself any favours in the last 12 months or so but that doesn’t undo his stupendous form for the however many years prior to that so this rewriting of history and talk of him being “overrated” (Keane) is just plain dumb.

Equally as dumb is trying to judge a goalkeeper by the number of trophies won. Would Big Pete have made us win more league titles in the last 10 years? Of course not, it’s a stupid and simplistic way of looking at things.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Is there another player in world football who did nothing of note in European/International competition and was labelled the best in the world just for his shot stopping ability in domestic football?

He was a good shot stopper but he was never at any time the best in the world. The best players don't only turn up in domestic football.
From the top of my head, the best goalkeepers of the last 25 years are Schmeichel, Kahn, Barthez, Buffon, Dida, Casillas, Cech, VDS, Valdes, Navas, Lloris, De Gea, Ter Stegen, Alisson, Oblak, Courtois...

Basically all of these guys apart from De Gea have played in either a World Cup or Champions League final.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
The debacle with Spain at the world Cup seemed to destroy the guy. He was the number 1 gk in the world before Russia 2018.
Yeah, at the moment it doesn't look like he's got the mental fortitude to overcome it either. Which is sad really, saved us from some really embarrassing league finishes - now he's doing managing to do the complete opposite :nervous:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
When We had Phil Jones and Smalling He was unbeatable and kept pulling off ridiculous saves. Now that We have got proper defenders and more cohesive team, He makes mistakes. You could not make this up.

When the planets are aligned They will all perform at the same period, and win the World Cup.

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

Its just unbelievable how our players just constantly turn to sht. De Gea was the one person you could rely on performing week in week out. Not anymore. Its so frigging annoying. I was all for Henderson being loaned out for a while. Now I think he needs to come back as number 2 and pressure De Gea. See how he handles it.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Never seen VDS save the shots de gea has on a regular day and as consistent. Wasn’t old enough to watch schmeichel so I can’t say.
Schmeichel was Degea plus presence and the distribution of Ederson. VDS is overrated, doesn’t mean he wasn’t a great keeper but he wasn’t on Schmeichels level for any of the above. I’d say DeGea was on Schmeichels level for shot stopping, perhaps even better a little, but offers little else.

DeGea now though is a liability.