Imagine another player is captain - do you want a new CB to partner with Lindelof or Maguire?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm just curious in reading supporter opinion about this.

Consider Bruno/Rashford or whoever is captain, who would you rather see partner with a new CB target for next season? Lindelof and Maguire are both slow and have moments where they are not as commanding as they should be. Neither are bad defenders, but which one would you rather be our starter?

For me, it is Lindelof. I think he's just a cleverer defender than Maguire is positionally and I actually prefer seeing him on the ball, he's capable of great passes in behind.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'd go with Lindelof but that's basically based on style. Ability wise, they're about the same for me. Not one of them stands out above the other

Zlatans Knee

I don't think either of them are good enough to be starting regularly for our club.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thing about Maguire is, he starts every single game, week in week out. Whereas Lindelof has been having ongoing injury issues.

I realise it isn't the biggest plus in the world but it is definitely a plus, as years of watching CBs struggle with injury problems has taught us.

And if we accept (as the thread is suggesting) that there isn't actually that much between them besides Maguire being captain, being an ever-present could be enough of an edge.

But Maguire isn't just captain for no reason anyway. Even if Bruno was captain, whatever leadership qualities Maguire supposedly has over Lindelof would still remain.

So Maguire.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Very easy choice: Maguire.

Preferably someone who a) isn't super injury prone b) has recovery pace c) loves to defend d) positionally sound e) can play out from the back.

Tall order.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Very easy choice: Maguire.

Preferably someone who a) isn't super injury prone b) has recovery pace c) loves to defend d) positionally sound e) can play out from the back.

Tall order.
Is that list who you'd partner with him? Tall order indeed. A few options are out there though.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is that list who you'd partner with him? Tall order indeed. A few options are out there though.
Yeah it would be. I'm of the opinion that Maguire would be a very good 2nd best centre back at the club. Frankly, I want a better centre back than him. Aerially he is outstanding, but positionally suspect, no pace to speak of, but a good ball carrier and technically better than most tall centre backs. With Lindelof, you cannot partner him with another physically weak centre back, or someone who is not good in the air (i.e. Bailly, as we have seen). Lindelof, in my view, has simply more significant weaknesses than Maguire.

Hammondo

Lindelof, he's smarter are faster. He's not good enough either though.

bsCallout

Maguire and it's not close.

Neither should be United CB's but Lindelof is so average it hurts.

Maguire is generally dominant, covers well, is actually OK in the air, better ball carrier(doesn't look scared) and is stronger.

I don't think I'd give Lindelof anything other than being faster which is an attribute you would get in any defender we should buy.

Edit - As far as I can tell the only reason you get rid of Maguire is because of what he represents - a rip off.

reddev3

Maguire easily, at least he excels at something (heading). You could buy a fast aggressive CB to cover the ground and complement Maguire and have a great CB pairing but i'm not sure you can with Lindelof.

EDIT: he also excels in the fitness department as well

Maguire’s better than Lindelöf at absolutely everything, except pace.
A partner can easily cover Maguire’s shortfalls, not even Franco Baresi could cover the Swede, he’s a weak as piss centre half.

He'sRaldo

Lindelof.

He's easier to plan around and a better 2nd fiddle. Maguire has too glaring a weakness to be a 2nd fiddle and must be planned around, but he's not good enough for that. Also, Maguire is too individualistic, but Lindelof is much more team oriented which is better for a 2nd fiddle CB.

If you'd asked the question at the start of last season the easy answer would be Maguire, but I think Lindelof has improved to the level where he's been as good as or better than Maguire for the past few months, despite it rarely being acknowledged.

TsuWave

I don’t understand all this clout and goodwill Maguire seemingly has.

Denis79

Not even a contest, Maguire is the better defender of the two.

NoPace

Bit of a cop out but I'd say Maguire against aerial threats or in games where we need more creative passing and Lindelof against pace or nuance.

Neither have played well enough to be our #2 CB this season. Both have certainly played well enough to be #3 CBs and I don't see why a new #1 CB and an upgrade at the DM spot couldn't see one of them become a very very good #2.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's Maguire and easy choice for me

Tallis

If we want to play a high line, both are prone to getting exposed.

youngrell

I actually like both players but they don't compliment each other very well at all. But it would have to be Maguire for me.

Lindelof has a very good first touch and has played some nice long balls into channels for our forwards, but he's weak and often caught hiding during set pieces.

Maguire is very good on the ball, particularly at finding space to make a pass or ease pressure, excellent aerially and a decent tackler too. His pace is an obvious flaw, ad is his positioning on times but I think they are both linked (faster players get out of trouble easier). His slow passing also annoys me – not how long he takes to release, the actual speed of his passes.

I think overall Maguire is both the better player and easier to compliment. Lindelof's weaknesses are very difficult to cover, as proven by already having a strong, aerially good partner.

poleglass red

It's difficult to answer as both would benefit playing alongside a defender with pace, I also think both would benefit with a keeper who is willing to come of his line. If I had to give an answer I'd say Maguire.

TrustInOle

Maguire. I constantly say it, but best CB we have had since Rio and Vidic. Not saying much, I know, and he does have his weak points, as does everybody. It's about finding the right partner for him and unfortunately, a new keeper to.

jem

Neither do I. I admit he was pretty good in January, but I think he has been incredibly underwhelming during his time here. I'd take Smalling over him any day (and yes I know that ship has sailed.)

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Neither do I. I admit he was pretty good in January, but I think he has been incredibly underwhelming during his time here. I'd take Smalling over him any day (and yes I know that ship has sailed.)
There's literally no justification for that opinion, Smalling was average at best with even bigger weaknesses than Maguire. There's a reason why one is playing at one of the best clubs in the world and is the first choice for his national team, while the other one has been disgarded. Smalling had no place at a top club, he had the technical ability of a league 1 player.

TrustInJanuzaj

Everton was his first poor performance for months, he's had excellent displays most of the season namely against Liverpool, City etc. He gets absolutely no respect purely because he's English and looks like an old fashioned donkey (nickname slabhead). The reality is he's a top player who has some weaknesses as most players do. His strengths more than make up for any of those shortfalls and frankly, the biggest issue in our defence is the clown between the sticks who makes it impossible for our CBs, whoever the pairing!

TrustInJanuzaj

Maguire. I constantly say it, but best CB we have had since Rio and Vidic. Not saying much, I know, and he does have his weak points, as does everybody. It's about finding the right partner for him and unfortunately, a new keeper to.
Nail on the head. Too many people arent willing to admit that De Gea is the real elephant in the room.

Last edited:

mav_9me

Keep Maguire. Buy new CB and give Henderson a chance, if he isn't good enough, buy new GK.

SeanyC

Nail on the head. Too many people are willing to admit that De Gea is the real elephant in the room.
Totally agree and mentioned it the other day that De Gea I hate to say is long past his sell by date, just too many mistakes and his commanding of the box, sacrificing getting hurt to save the team is just non existent now

Raven

Lindelof, I think his weaknesses are more easily compensated for. Maguire's weaknesses are pace, positioning and a propensity to be rinsed by attackers, whoever is his partner has their work cut out.

Siorac

Doesn't really matter. Maguire has a better fitness record so I'd go for him I guess. There's very little between them otherwise.

Crashoutcassius

maguire. excellent in the air, good on the ball, never misses a game. needs pace next to him if we aren't going to play deep. we would have given up so many late goals this season without him heading everything away

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Maguire is brilliant, my only criticism of him is in the opposition box.

The isn't Maguire it's the defensive mid next to him and the partner he has next to him.

Not having the likes of Axel in the squad will help too!

redpatron

maguire easily. he has great chemistry with luke shaw and they play well together. somehow maguire and lindelof played together for nearly two years and they act like they just met in preseason.