Status
Not open for further replies.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
What's kicking off?
28 people have died in riots/suicide.

Also:

#RamRahimVerdict: I broke the story against Dera chief and I can't find it any more
The story led to the CBI initiating the probe against the self-styled godman based out of Sirsa in Haryana.

I and my colleague had to put our lives at risk when we were working on the story in Sirsa, the Dera headquarters, because if the Dera had come to know, we would have met with possible fatal harm.

As I said earlier, the original story and the video of the sting accompanying is not accessible. Now, I take you back to 2007.

The stage was set and the time chosen to break the story was the prime time show hosted by India TV Editor-in-Chief Rajat Sharma. Baweja, who was representing Tehelka, was the sole panelist on the show with Sharma. The moment the sting operation was on-air, we started getting numerous calls and to use current parlance - it went viral before viral came into being. Upbeat at the response, India TV ran the show, looping it all through the next day. They showed the visuals from Haryana and Punjab where people praised Rajat Sharma for exposing Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh. The Tehelka magazine also carried a detailed report along with the sting video and the transcript of Khatta Singh.

The Central Bureau of Investigation entered the picture a few days after the news break and India TV and Tehelkatook equal credit for it.

Some years later circa 2014, the Dera chief shifted his allegiance to the Bharatiya Janata Party. On a whim, I thought of checking on the video and the show aired on India TV. To my surprise, neither the video nor the story was to be found on the India TV website or its YouTube channel. Some others said the Dera chief had imposed the condition that the sting and the story had to be yanked from the site for him to appear on the channel's popular Aap Ki Adalat anchored by Rajat Sharma.

Newslaundry has reached out to Rajat Sharma for his version, both on email and SMS. This piece will be updated if and when he chooses to respond.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What's the difference between protestors setting rail stations and media vans on fire and terrorists?

I'm hoping these "protestors" are given a fecking harsh sentence. 7 years for rape is also an absolute piss take in what is a piss take of a country tbh.

MDFC Manager

This could have been prevented with proactive planning. But @VidaRed pointed out as to why it wasn't done so:

Because before the elections 40 bjp mla's went to him alongwith amit shah whereafter he officially announced support for the bjp.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What's kicking off?

As to the guru convictions, it's not the first and certainly will not the last. Unfortunately, we have a lot of gullible people who fall prey to these monsters!
many of his followers causing damage in demonstrations, according to BBC report?

As for 'gullible', I guess if it provides answers for people, it's all good .... but when people like him grossly abuse the trust provided to them, they should be harshly punished, just like Catholic or Muslim priests who abuse the trust placed with them.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
just like Catholic or Muslim priests who abuse the trust placed with them.
Why do you have to butt in with Islam related arguments in every thread about India?

What has this case to do with Islam or catholicism?

edit: Would appreciate if you could just stick to topic you posted yourself. Let's not make this inter-religious politicking.

edit edit: maybe I was harsh, but these cases bring out the worst in me.

Last edited:

Neutral

BTV
Why do you have to butt in with Islam related arguments in every thread about India?

What has this case to do with Islam? Your agenda posting on India(ns) vs Islam is just plain annoying.
Sammsky comes across as abrasive at times, but in this instance I think jumping down his throat is slightly unwarranted.

Think he was trying to say these charlatans are there in all segments of Indian society including the Muslim community - and they take advantage of the gullible masses.

Mind you - I get why you reacted, seeing as there was no mention of religion from your end - just monsters and the poor people they defraud

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Think he was trying to say these charlatans are there in all segments of Indian society including the Muslim community - and they take advantage of the gullible masses.

Mind you - I get why you reacted, seeing as there was no mention of religion from your end - just monsters and the poor people they defraud
Maybe it's just apathy but this ain't anything unusual. As I said not the first, not the last. Being a hindu majority country, the number of hindu gurus are more than any other religion. I have a pathological hatred for these religious scamsters and have absolutely no pity. Wouldn't piss on them, if they were on fire.

I have no interest in discussing or equating the number of similar cases in other religions as it's frankly not relevant or worth the while.

RedDevil@84

I don't think the riots or arson has much to do with following him or for that matter any of those so called gurus. There are too many jobless people who can be hired for rioting. Such goons have no religion/party or any affiliation. They will riot who ever gets them the money.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

What has this case to do with Islam or catholicism?

edit: Would appreciate if you could just stick to topic you posted yourself. Let's not make this inter-religious politicking.

edit edit: maybe I was harsh, but these cases bring out the worst in me.
The point is very relevant. Scamsters abuse all religions across India (and the world).

Talk about neurotic. I think you need to chill.

Last edited:

Moonred

I have never met anyone who does anything but laugh at these people. How does these cartoonish godmen have so many who are ready to do anything for them?

This guy has Z level security? feck me :lol:
Obviously hugely backed by politicians but hope the cnut suffer in jail however unlikely. Huge failure for the state government who obviously had no intention of putting this cnut behind bars in the first place.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Sammsky comes across as abrasive at times, but in this instance I think jumping down his throat is slightly unwarranted.

Thanks. That's exactly what I said!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I have never met anyone who does anything but laugh at these people. How does these cartoonish godmen have so many who are ready to do anything for them?

This guy has Z level security? feck me :lol:
Obviously hugely backed by politicians but hope the cnut suffer in jail however unlikely. Huge failure for the state government who obviously had no intention of putting this cnut behind bars in the first place.
many village people across Sub continent still religiously believe in such customs. Have come across loads down the years.
Then you get all the strange Western types who also fall for it.

Neutral

BTV
@Edgar Allan Pillow yup, that's fair enough. One doesn't need to seek equivalency in everything.

I suppose the 'good' thing about this riot is...it's not communal. There are no two sides here, so while 30 dead and 250 injured sounds bad...its unlikely to get much worse and there are no issues with reprisal attacks etc etc.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Predictably the riots ended when the Punjab and Haryana High Courts attached the properties of the Ram Raheem and said that the compensation for the losses will be borne out of that. Haryana's CM should just resign.

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
What's the difference between protestors setting rail stations and media vans on fire and terrorists?

I'm hoping these "protestors" are given a fecking harsh sentence. 7 years for rape is also an absolute piss take in what is a piss take of a country tbh.
I think 7 years is the minimum sentence he can get. Actual sentencing is on 28th of august.

Moonred

many village people across Sub continent still religiously believe in such customs. Have come across loads down the years.
Then you get all the strange Western types who also fall for it.
That is true. I mean my question was more of an expression of astonishment but I know that it's true in many parts of the country even among educated ones. We just have too many people.

MDFC Manager

Predictably the riots ended when the Punjab and Haryana High Courts attached the properties of the Ram Raheem and said that the compensation for the losses will be borne out of that. Haryana's CM should just resign.
hell will probably freeze over first.

RedDevil@84

Haryana CM says all arrangements were made. What arrangements. Like turning the stadium to jail so that all the people arrested after murder and arson have enough place to be locked up.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think 7 years is the minimum sentence he can get. Actual sentencing is on 28th of august.
Would be surprised if it's much more given the pressure they are under from the idiots supporting him.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Can you explain that abit more?

Neelu

Likes to eat cement and rubber but not boogers
Would be surprised if it's much more given the pressure they are under from the idiots supporting him.
Just saw on news that its maximum of 7 years. Wtf, i thought death penalty was the maximum in rape cases.

KM

Can you explain that abit more?
As soon as the riot started. The High Court of Punjab and Haryana said that they're sort of taking over the properties of the convicted godmen and whatever destruction his followers has made, the loss arising from the riots will be compensated out of those properties. As soon as that news was announced, the riots ended in a span of half an hour.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
His supporters had said that they would run riot if decision goes against him, it was widely reported that they have flocked in masses which would lead to disruption. Why in the world did the state government not make the necessary arrangements when verdict was pretty much known. They could have asked for reinforcements from neighbouring states and I doubt anyone would have declined. It's beyond stupid that despite section 144 being imposed as per which not more than 4 people can be together in public, we had an entire stadium full of people ready to disrupt services

KM

Just saw on news that its maximum of 7 years. Wtf, i thought death penalty was the maximum in rape cases.
Death penalty is in the rarest of the rare cases or brutal cases like the Nirbhaya. The minimum penalty is ten years. The court however if it thinks so can impose a punishment of less than 10years.

KM

His supporters had said that they would run riot if decision goes against him, it was widely reported that they have flocked in masses which would lead to disruption. Why in the world did the state government not make the necessary arrangements when verdict was pretty much known. They could have asked for reinforcements from neighbouring states and I doubt anyone would have declined. It's beyond stupid that despite section 144 being imposed as per which not more than 4 people can be together in public, we had an entire stadium full of people ready to disrupt services
It was a fecking shambles. The Haryana Govt. said that they wanted to impose section 144, but couldn't do it in time due to a clerical error. You can't make this shit up.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It was a fecking shambles. The Haryana Govt. said that they wanted to impose section 144, but couldn't do it in time due to a clerical error. You can't make this shit up.
Yup and there were a couple of people in my office spreading rumours about delhi haryana border being sealed to add to confusion

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Whoever, except in the cases provided for in sub-section (2), commits rape, shall be punished with rigorous imprisonment of either description for a term which shall not he less than seven years, but which may extend to imprisonment for life, and shall also be liable to fine.
Sec 376 IPC.

Edit: this was a change made after 2013 I think:
376A. Whoever, commits an offence punishable under sub-section (l) or sub¬section (2) of section 376 and in the course of such commission inflicts an injury which causes the death of the woman or causes the woman to be in a persistent vegetative state, shall be punished with rigorous imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than twenty years, but which may extend to imprisonment for life, which shall mean imprisonment for the remainder of that person's natural life, or with death.

376E Whoever has been previously convicted of an offence punishable under section 376 or section 376A or section 3760 and is subsequently convicted of an offence punishable under any of the said sections shall be punished with imprisonment for life which shall mean imprisonment for the remainder of that person's natural life, or with death.'.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What's kicking off?

As to the guru convictions, it's not the first and certainly will not the last. Unfortunately we have a lot of gullible people who fall prey to these monsters!
Unfortunately happens all over the sub continent, I've heard of many people back in Pakistan ripped off by these fraudsters, the worst part about it its normally the poor people who don't have much money in the first place who get ripped off. It's disgusting.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Unfortunately happens all over the sub continent, I've heard of many people back in Pakistan ripped off by these fraudsters, the worst part about it its normally the poor people who don't have much money in the first place who get ripped off. It's disgusting.
Part of the famous Marx quote:
The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is the demand for their real happiness. To call on them to give up their illusions about their condition is to call on them to give up a condition that requires illusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.