India's tour of England

zing

Zingle balls
The trouble with England is that they have far too many of these type of batsmen in the top 4. Cook, Root and Bell are hardly the attacking type. Compare that top4 with other teams like SA or AUS.
That I agree with.

brewlio

A prince among poopers
31-3 batting at 2.66 an over (12 overs).

I'm laughing here. We're better than you at test cricket in English conditions. India would beat us anywhere, on any strip on the planet in one day cricket.

NinjaFletch

The worst thing is, I don't really care about ODIs enough to really be bothered just disappointed by the predictability of it all.

brewlio

A prince among poopers
Root almost run out scrambling a single. haha

This is even funnier than the ballbag on the drum kit scene in the film Step Brothers. Honestly.

NinjaFletch

England counter attack any minute now, just you watch.

(By counter attack I mean second collapse)

brewlio

A prince among poopers
The trouble with England is that they have far too many of these type of batsmen in the top 4. Cook, Root and Bell are hardly the attacking type. Compare that top4 with other teams like SA or AUS.
Bang on. Today's performance with the bat so far epitomises what you're saying KM.

NinjaFletch

Morgan's technique against spin looks hideous.

I'm sure he's normally mentioned as being one of England's better players of it but its really poor to watch. Shuffle forward, lunge back, doesn't really use his feet.

Looks a prime candidate getting out stuck in his crease.

MDFC Manager

Can someone explain to me how India are so abject at test, while being so good in shorter forms?
Limited overs cricket is our bread and butter these days. On flatter pitches, I'd back us to regularly chase upwards of 300.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Ah, there is match going on! Forgot...the ODI series feels a bit meh...especially when it is bilateral.

brewlio

A prince among poopers
There's plenty of top order 'clubbers' in English first class cricket that should be in before this lot. England need a couple of stand and deliver cavalier batsman in the opening 4 or 5. The joy of whipping India in the tests has quickly been eradicated for me by just how poor we are at one day cricket, especially with the bat.

*Root gone going for reverse sweep as I'm typing this :lol:

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Your ODI team is not great by any stretch of imagination and conditions matter lot lesser in ODIs. Ya, if you have some big hitters in first class Cricket, they should be in. At least one.

brewlio

A prince among poopers
England will need to get a big swipe on just to post a competitive total. 118- 5 with just 16 overs left. Least they've upped the run rate to 3.49 haha.

Skills

Snitch
England are just full of so many boring bastards. KP and before that Flintoff and Trescothick are about the only entertaining English batsmen I've watched. Ian Bell has still got to come in - 76 SR.

NinjaFletch

There's plenty of top order 'clubbers' in English first class cricket that should be in before this lot. England need a couple of stand and deliver cavalier batsman in the opening 4 or 5. The joy of whipping India in the tests has quickly been eradicated for me by just how poor we are at one day cricket, especially with the bat.

*Root gone going for reverse sweep as I'm typing this :lol:
You see everyone keeps saying this, but I don't think its actually the problem. Yes a few teams have some big hitters, but its hardly essential.

Look at India, who are demonstrably better than us at ODI cricket and I don't think there's any player you could call a 'clubber'. Kohli, Raina, Dhawan, Rahane etc... can certainly hit a long ball, but they're pretty much just proper players.

The problem is the lack of dynamism. I've got no problem with Root for example, not the strongest lad but rotates the strike pretty well and picks gaps fine. He'd be in my team as would Cook who can be a solid opening player alongside a dynamic player in Hales.

I'd have Vince in at 3, Taylor at 5 and Root at 4. I'd even be tempted to drop Morgan, who I genuinely can't remember his last innings of note.

NinjaFletch

England are just full of so many boring bastards. KP and before that Flintoff and Trescothick are about the only entertaining English batsmen I've watched. Ian Bell has still got to come in - 76 SR.
Why?

36 ave 76 SR

vs

Root

33 ave 78 SR

vs

Cook

37 ave 77 SR

Should only be ever be picking 2 out of those 3 I reckon and Bell has the worst strike rate of the lot. Yes he plays some nice looking shots, but he doesn't score quickly, doesn't score heavy and doesn't win you ODIs. Root will improve and Cook's a better ODI player, no reason to have him in the team.

brewlio

A prince among poopers
Ali 29 (21 balls) upping the pace. If he sees it through to the end we'll at least post a score worth bowling at.

Buttler needs to get slashing/swinging/bludgeoning as well now. RUNS!

NinjaFletch

Seriously, how can an umpire not see thats going over the top? Literally hit him at the height of the bails, its only going to go up from there.

brewlio

A prince among poopers
Ali brings up his 50 with a 6 down the ground. Has looked like a diamond swimming in a sea of shite today.

Run rate up to 4.25, and rising.

brewlio

A prince among poopers
Hoping Woakes doesn't get strangled at one end by the spinners, keeping Ali off strike. Not doing too bad so far though.

Another boundary for Ali.