Indie PC games

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Dear Esther is a story. Not really a computer game since the only thing you do is walk and turn your flash light on and off. Nothing you do affects the game. You walk through it whilst a story is told and try to make sense of it in the end. It's not great, not bad either. Looks good. Interesting but falls a bit flat. Takes less than an hour to play.

Cheers, will give it a go. Can't really go wrong if it's just an hour long.

The crazy part is that the guy who created the game has also done the music :lol:

The guys a fecking genius.

Yeah, he really is! Noticed that when I got hold of the OST and saw the same name. :eek: Would love to see what someone like him could do as part of a bigger project. The JRPG industry is crying out for people of that level of imagination.

There's another game made by the same guy due to come out soon. Going by the title music, the soundtrack is going to be fecking amazing again:

The Japanese have really got it down when it comes to music. Aside from video game compositions, I had a mate that once introduced me to Japanese instrumental hip hop, which is just the most consistently beautiful genre of music.

Edit: There's also a game called Quintessence by the same group which is held in similar esteem by the sounds of it.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh

So, i just backed this game on Kickstarter. It smashed its target of $27,000 and is now on $484,000 with 4 days left to run. I think i'm genuinely more excited about this than any 'triple A' title on the horizon. Oh, also, i'm going to have Beta access and my name in the credits due to my pledge! :p

KingEric7

There's a great line up of Kickstarter funded games coming up then by the sounds of it. Not heard much of this, but there's Project Eternity and Tides of Numenera to look forward too as well.

Tides of Numenera...:drool: What a prospect that is.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Looks stunning, but one of those games where you wont know how good it is until you play it.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
Of course, but i just get a feeling of something special from it. Enough to take a little punt on anyway!

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
What indie games were kickstarter backed? PEZ? FTL? Lone Survivor? I dont think Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy or Bastion?

Revan

Assumptionman
Tides of Numenera...:drool: What a prospect that is.
I have to play Planescape: Torment first. Likely it will be my next game I'll play. Anyway there are two years until Numenera launches so plenty of time to play the original first. You said that it had the best plot (writting), right?

KingEric7

I have to play Planescape: Torment first. Likely it will be my next game I'll play. Anyway there are two years until Numenera launches so plenty of time to play the original first. You said that it had the best plot (writting), right?
Nice one.

By far, in my opinion. As for the plot, it's definitely the best of its genre I think. I can't think of any other Western RPG I've played that gets anywhere near it on that count, but it is absolutely crucial to talk to pretty much every named NPC you encounter. There is a lot of reading to be done, but that's how the picture begins to unfold as opposed to there being any great spanning narrative. You constantly come across all these NPCs with their finely crafted, unique personalities, and some of them will give you some hint as to what's going on with the main character. Eventually you get to the point whereby the picture is fully formed and you're left like :eek:...

*When you do end up playing it by the way, put as many points as possible into Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma! And don't forget to level up otherwise you'll lose the opportunity to spend the talent point. I did that for the first couple of levels and it pissed me of throughout the whole playthrough.

KingEric7

Forgot to say, I'm not sure if I'd recommend using any of the widescreen or resolution mods or anything like that. It very, very nearly fecked up my save at the very end using that. My game ending didn't actually involve one of my characters because there was a glitch that wouldn't let me take her to the final area!

Iron Stove

Anyone played The Stanley Parable? Seems like a fun game, kind of a pisstake of games in general. I played the demo and would recommend trying it, quite surreal.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Anyone played Banished? Came out last week and it's a survival city-builder. You start with a few families and resources (both depending on difficulty setting) and have to move on from there. There's no enemies, but even just surviving the winter can be tough, so don't think you'll have an easy time just because of that! It's developed by just one guy and it actually looks fairly impressive, the soundtrack fits the game well and bar a few bugs (that I have no doubt will be fixed in time) it plays very well. I picked it up the day it came out and I really enjoy it - it's definitely one of the better city builders. You can read a bit more about it on http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com or just ask here and I'll try and answer. :)

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Anyone played Banished? Came out last week and it's a survival city-builder. You start with a few families and resources (both depending on difficulty setting) and have to move on from there. There's no enemies, but even just surviving the winter can be tough, so don't think you'll have an easy time just because of that! It's developed by just one guy and it actually looks fairly impressive, the soundtrack fits the game well and bar a few bugs (that I have no doubt will be fixed in time) it plays very well. I picked it up the day it came out and I really enjoy it - it's definitely one of the better city builders. You can read a bit more about it on http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com or just ask here and I'll try and answer. :)
Cheers for the heads up, I've been meaning to get something like this for a while. I'll try it this week if I get the chance, I like the look and sound of it though.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Cheers for the heads up, I've been meaning to get something like this for a while. I'll try it this week if I get the chance, I like the look and sound of it though.
There's a lot of "let's plays" on youtube, if you want to get a better idea of the game. That's how I got to know it, before it was released.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
So I just played Ori and the Blind Forest and completely loved it, looking for similar experiences, can someone recommend a few good indie games?

Revan

Assumptionman
Anyone played Firewatch? Saw that it got best story award from ign for 2016.

Rubberman

I recently bought 'Sunless Sea' on sale on steam, however, it's still fairly cheap. The reviews hooked me and it looks like i've been playing it for a 100+ hours. It would be perfect for a laptop. Not demanding on hardware at all, but requires patience and strategy, good replay value.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Anyone interested in strategy/tactics/puzzles should check out Door Kickers. Game is amazing, and even with the 20 hours I put into it a year or two back, I came nowhere near close to completing it. Maybe I should go back and give some of the harder levels a go :D

So I just played Ori and the Blind Forest and completely loved it, looking for similar experiences, can someone recommend a few good indie games?
Ori is one of my all time favourite games. Hollow Knight is a Metroidvania that's just released that looks pretty spectacular. Yet to play it myself, but it's definitely on my wishlist.

decorativeed

Anyone played Firewatch? Saw that it got best story award from ign for 2016.
I've played a bit of it but got distracted. It seems like the kind of thing you could get really into given a few days on your own with nothing else to do. I feel you need to immerse yourself in it to get the best of it, but I enjoyed the little time I spent with it so far.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah, I liked it a lot.

It's pretty obvious, it's not as great as the plaudits say, but it has a charm and a great setting which did it for me. Interesting is what I'd call it.
Thanks! I'll probably get it in the next Steam summer sale. At the moment it costs 20 euros, and considering that it is just 4 hours long, seems a bit too much.