Indy Boonen

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The pic is from just before Christmas when the family came over to visit the club and did the stadium tour. His brother has trialled with us as well but hasnt been signed yet, there are a few other English clubs interested in him as well. At the moment Indy is spending 2 weeks in Manchester followed by a week in Belgium and this will continue until the summer when the family move to Manchester. He has played at u15 level for Belgium but hasnt played u16 because he hasnt been playing club football. He was rated as 1 of the best in the Genk academy but his father removed him from Genk because they decided to release his younger brother after bone density tests showed he was unlikely to grow above 1.85m even though he was doing well for them and won GK of the tournament at a couple of underage European tournaments. There were a number of other English and Dutch clubs interested in him but United got him in early and have been bringing him over for training regularly for the past 6 months.
We can't sign his brother because he is only 12 or 13 right? When the family moves over will be be able to sign him then?

jb8521

We can't sign his brother because he is only 12 or 13 right? When the family moves over will be be able to sign him then?
Yeah he would be able to play for us because it wouldnt be seen as the family moving country in order for him to join us. The same thing could happen with Fosu Mensah's younger brother who is fairly highly rated at Ajax if his whole family decides to move over. City already have a number of players playing for their underage teams who have been in the same situation such as Rekik and Pozo's younger brothers

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Yeah he would be able to play for us because it wouldnt be seen as the family moving country in order for him to join us. The same thing could happen with Fosu Mensah's younger brother who is fairly highly rated at Ajax if his whole family decides to move over. City already have a number of players playing for their underage teams who have been in the same situation such as Rekik and Pozo's younger brothers
Ah, you can be a bit sneaky with that. In our case Fosu Mensah and Indy are obviously highly rated themselves but you could used this to snatch top players that are too young by signing their older brothers even if they are any good or not.

jb8521

Ah, you can be a bit sneaky with that. In our case Fosu Mensah and Indy are obviously highly rated themselves but you could used this to snatch top players that are too young by signing their older brothers even if they are any good or not.
Yeah I wouldnt be surprised to see it start to happen. Different situation because he was 16 but Chelsea signed Charly Musonda's 2 older brothers just to convince him to sign and did similar with a Portuguese lad named Mesca in order to try get his younger brother Bruma to sign from Sporting Lisbon but it didnt work so they released him and he joined Fulham.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm confused. Why are Sky Sports treating him like he's Martin Odegaard?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What does that say?
A great assist from Angel Gomes and a clinical finish by Indy Boonen for the U18s v Middlesbrough.

Video of a lovely lofted pass by Angel at the edge of the box and a first time finish by Boonen.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Also, the commentator pronounced Angel as Angel. Is it not An-gel/An-hel?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Given that you can hear his teammates pronouncing it that way (as in the English word angel, rather than a 'latin' pronunciation), I imagine that must be how he says it himself?
Maybe, but my counter-arguement to that is that....most of his teammates are also English. Alas, continued butchering?

Brightonian

Maybe, but my counter-arguement to that is that....most of his teammates are also English. Alas, continued butchering?
They play with him week in week out. English or otherwise, I doubt they're pronouncing his name wrong. The lad's born and raised in England.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
They play with him week in week out. English or otherwise, I doubt they're pronouncing his name wrong. The lad's born and raised in England.
I'm just trying to form a rebuttal :lol: You're probably right. Alas, I will still carry on pronouncing it the way it should be pronounced with anyone with that name.

jb8521

After a fairly quiet start to the season Boonen finished the season very well and ended up with 7 goals and 4 assists from 12 starts and 4 sub appearances. He's also been called up by Belgium for the u17 European Championships which start this week

spenzo

His feet moved so fast for that assist I can't even tell what he done. Looking set to have another good season though.

Bit better quality version below. He's racking up a decent highlights reel, anyone who watches youth more regularly think hes really got it?

Leonard17

Bit better quality version below. He's racking up a decent highlights reel, anyone who watches youth more regularly think hes really got it?

I think he's definitely one that's developing nicely and under the radar a little bit, relative to the other well known talents. Quite clearly has talent, he showed that with his link ups with Gomes and Buffonge towards the end of last season. But as with most youth, a lot of things can happen, so we just have to wait and see.

jb8521

He's a bit similar to Lingard in that he was very small and weak until the past 6 months or so and he doesn't really have any 1 exceptional attribute but he's very good at a lot of things and works extremely hard to make the most of his talent

jb8521

Interview with Boonen where he says he trained with the seniors in preseason. From what I've heard quite a few of the u18s have trained with the seniors in the past couple of months
https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nie...-boonen-ziet-het-zitten-bij-manchester-united

Translation from newbie @GroteBergMan98

Indy Boonen was one of the highlights in United's academy last week but has been known as a big talent for quite some time. Voetbalkrant.com spoke to the young attacker about his ambitious plans for the future.

Because the young Limburger definitely has ambition. "I hope to make my debut next season in the first team. Preferably in the Premier League of course, but a game in the League Cup would be great aswell".

"I have faith in it".At United everyone knows him aswell. "At United every coach knows everything about you. They're very well connected with each other and pass on feedback. They work very hard at the academy and with the youth, and you feel that."

In pre-season he was allowed to even train with the first team. "I learned a lot there, it was special to be with them on the pitch. This season, I aim to get a few matches with the U21s, other than that, I just want to do my thing with the U18s."

His schedule is like one of those in the first team. "We live like pros, we train in the morning, in the afternoon it's mostly getting rest to do some fitness after that. School is only on monday morning."

"The first two months were quite hard because my English wasn't good enough. Now that's going better and I perform better on the pitch aswell. When I compare two others, I've adapted very quickly", admitted the young attacking midfielder.

He is one of the jokers in the dressing room. "I joke around sometimes yes. Usually I pronounce a word or two wrong which makes everyone laugh either way."

Last edited:

WhoDaGOAT

Jaysus. I know this is more about me getting old than anything else and I know the U-18s are, by definition, children but these two lads look barely old enough for secondary school!

EDIT: I see this has already been discussed...
I was the same until about 19. Very baby faced and small. My friends were all giants growing up, then I had a major growth spurt at 18 and reached a respectable height.

Leonard17

Jaysus. I know this is more about me getting old than anything else and I know the U-18s are, by definition, children but these two lads look barely old enough for secondary school!

EDIT: I see this has already been discussed...
That his brother Seppe, who's a goalkeeper. He's meant to be in the u16's with us, but I'm not sure whether that's the case now.

jb8521

That his brother Seppe, who's a goalkeeper. He's meant to be in the u16's with us, but I'm not sure whether that's the case now.
He's not with us anyway. As far as I know he's playing for Admira Wacker in Austria