Injured players not making themselves available to play

RedMaestro

Its likely a mentality thing. We have a good number of players locked into moderately high wage (or full on high wage) contracts who think they can mosey about and collect their massive paychecks like they're at a resort or something. I hope Jose cleans house in that regard - which will obviously mean Rooney, Young, Jones, Smalling, and Shaw could all go.
You're probably right. But I would actually be ok with if Young stayed. I've been quite pleased with his performances, but he earns too much for a player that won't be a regular starter.

I wonder how big Mourinho would like the squad to be next season?

Ban

No you asked is Jones being constantly injured enough reason to want him out. To which I replied "yes it is."

But that's a different point completely from the one Jose has made over the last few weeks.
That's the thing, he's constantly injured and now he doesn't want to play even if he can or don't want to rush it.

Skills

Snitch
Well we all know Vidic, Rio and Evra would do anything to stay fit for the business end of the season.
True.

I totally can't remember us fielding a defense of O'shea, Brown, Heinze and Evra against AC Milan in a Champions League semi final. Or O'shea, Brown, Vidic and Heinze in the second leg of the same tie, defending a 3-2 lead. That definitely didn't happen.

Or Vidic missing the second leg against Barcelona, forcing us to play Hargreaves at RB. He'd never put us in that position.

Minimalist

I do think a lot of them are being overly cautious and don't want to "risk" their injuries. Mourinho doesn't want that mentality though and that's fair enough. He wants players who will fight through injuries to play. Some people may disagree with that mentality, but look at Ronaldo, probably the biggest example of it. He plays almost every game and it's all because of his drive and determination. He never wants to miss games and will play through all sorts of injuries. Smalling, Jones and Shaw seem to be constantly injured, and while of course sometimes you can't play through them, a lot of Shaw's just seem to be him being a bit of a pussy after his leg break.

Whether or not they are actually injured or not though, they all have to be flogged off I think. They're barely good enough to be rotation options even when fit, but can't be relied on to even be fit for half the games. What's the point in keeping squad players around who are on big wages and don't have the right mentality?
It's really at odds with what Mourinho and his former teams have been known for.

Primarily Mourinho was lauded for having a squad of players that would seemingly run through brick walls for him at will.

redsunited

Jose does not sound happy?

"I don't know about the injuries," Mourinho told BT Sport. "I think Luke Shaw's must be a big injury, because to leave the pitch after 10 minutes I am expecting a very big injury."
Jose should mind his negative press conferences. He is setting himself for failure.

Natener

Jose after the game:

Calling them out again.
Interviewer asks "what about Jones and Smalling?"
Jose answers "I prefer not to speak (about them)"
Article headline "Jose calls out Jones and Smalling again."

Have you ever considered sports journalism? You have a flair for it.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Don't do it mate, resist the temptation to twist the argument. If you've had enough of Jones not being fit that's fine, I actually agree.

But don't conflate that with the idea a fit player is choosing not to play.
He's not saying they're fit though, they might be mildly injured and scared of playing because of pain. Whether you agree with this concept or not is another thing, but they're not the first players that are called out on this, i.a. Sturridge this season by Klopp. Would explain Jones' constant injuries.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't have an issue with Mou wanting players to fight through the pain barrier at a time like this, or him selling injury prone players. I just wish publicly criticising his players wasn't becoming a theme of his reign. It's not good.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Aye it's a gamble, but if the players can't see what he's trying to achieve or indeed are questioning a man who has won it all, then they need to take a look at themselves.

If you're not willing to run through a brick wall for Mourinho, then you're not a Mourinho player. Simple as.

They wouldn't be Ferguson players either. I think since he went, the ones who were left have been resting on their laurels. Think apart from Valencia all his remnants need to go. Young has done a job but he is too old. He wants all his own players or ones who will as is said, will run through a brick wall for him. He needs his own captain and vice captain who are leaders on the pitch and will not allow people to shirk their playing responsibilities.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You're probably right. But I would actually be ok with if Young stayed. I've been quite pleased with his performances, but he earns too much for a player that won't be a regular starter.

I think there's a good chance he will fill it up with a smattering of under the radar players from various European clubs who have the skills and warrior mentality he is looking for.

Remember, this is a guy who won the Champions League with Benni McCarthy and a treble with Diego Milito leading the attack. I seriously doubt he cares about galactico type hollywood buys, in fact when comparing his Porto, 1st stint at Chelsea, and Inter results with his results at Madrid, I'd rather he goes for the players he wants even if we don't consider them exciting/transfer muppet quality.

El Zoido

It's fecking annoying that they keep getting injured all the time. I certainly don't have any sympathy for them. It's not their fault they're made out of glass but I don't blame Jose for being annoyed by it.

Ban

I actually like Jose but come on, you have to be honest here, these comments aren't going to be beneficial for the team cohesion.
It's the best thing for team cohesion. Don't be a pussy and play. Not through injury but if it's everything in your head than play or bugger off.

DomesticTadpole

I'm no fan of Smalling but the guy has never been part of his preferred CB pairing. The only reason he was playing was due to injury to Bailly. Ditto for Jones. They know that the manager doesn't fancy them and it makes no sense to play through injury and if you perform poorly, clubs like Arsenal, Everton and the likes who may be potentially interested in them may just back off.
Everyone knows that if you aren't on the right side of Mou, there is no way you are coming back- it happened with Mata at Chelsea, Casillas at RM, these 2 here and possibly Martial as well
Maybe they weren't his first choice, but Rojo has a serious injury and now Bailly is injured, so this would have been their chance.

Dobbs

He's not saying they're fit though, they might be mildly injured and scared of playing because of pain. Whether you agree with this concept or not is another thing, but they're not the first players that are called out on this, i.a. Sturridge this season by Klopp. Would explain Jones' constant injuries.
Him being one of those players who are injury prone would also explain it. Do you really think a player is sabotaging his own career because he's scared of a bit of pain. Particularly a player like Jones who shows no fear on the pitch whatsoever.

pseudo_canadian

I don't have an issue with Mou wanting players to fight through the pain barrier at a time like this, or him selling injury prone players. I just wish publicly criticising his players wasn't becoming a theme of his reign. It's not good.
Shaw (initially) responded well to it, and Martial has started playing better since being criticized.

The players have been too coddled since SAF left, Mourinho is attempting to rebuild the team mentality and I approve of how he's going about it.

Mata just had groin surgey and he made himself available today. That's what Jose wants, the desire and fight to be there for the team is needed. Where are Jones and Smalling? They're being overly cautious and Jose has called them out. Fully support it. If we didn't have so much on the line at this point in the season then it wouldn't be an issue.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
True.

I totally can't remember us fielding a defense of O'shea, Brown, Heinze and Evra against AC Milan in a Champions League semi final. Or O'shea, Brown, Vidic and Heinze in the second leg of the same tie, defending a 3-2 lead. That definitely didn't happen.

Or Vidic missing the second leg against Barcelona, forcing us to play Hargreaves at RB. He'd never put us in that position.
:lol:

DomesticTadpole

As he is saying his choice of players is so limited due to injury, might be bigger than usual. He will also want the quality to be deep.

Zoo

Agreed. Its appalling. Similar to what he did with Carneiro too isn't it? Jose must have quite the medical degree. What a complete ass he is.
Thing is Jones himself said this season that maybe he wasn't handling his injuries correctly and that sometimes the best option is to get back out on the field instead of being so cautious.

red4ever 79

Shaw (initially) responded well to it, and Martial has started playing better since being criticized.

The players have been too coddled since SAF left, Mourinho is attempting to rebuild the team mentality and I approve of how he's going about it.

Mata just had a grown surgey and he made himself available today. That's what Jose wants, the desire and fight to be there for the team is needed. Where are Jones and Smalling? They're being pussies and Jose has called them out. Fully support it.
100% agree with this. How many games are left this season about 6 or 7. Jones is sat on his ass with a toe injury. He should be ashamed of himself. I would be getting the strapping on it, injections the lot. He can sit on his ass during the summer. Jones, Smalling, Jones and Rooney need to be shown the door in the summer

Kostur

海尔的老板
Him being one of those players who are injury prone would also explain it. Do you really think a player is sabotaging his own career because he's scared of a bit of pain. Particularly a player like Jones who shows no fear on the pitch whatsoever.
He's still earning all the cash, probably more than he'd do anywhere else or doing anything else, so yeah, why would he care, maybe he is soft.

Segment

With Jose, it seems his back has finally broken. As good as they may be, the fact they're injured for quite some period of time is worrying

Bojan11

True.

I said they'd do anything. Pretty sure Vidic and Rio came back for the second leg against Milan.

Oh and Vidic had a concussion hence why he missed the Barcelona game. Not a pinky toe.

And you given one example in 10 years, well done to you.

Dobbs

He's still earning all the cash, probably more than he'd do anywhere else or doing anything else, so yeah, why would he care, maybe he is soft.
Well like I said, Jose has got into the heads of a few of you. You're now starting to believe Jones simply doesn't care about his own career.

Smalling in a leg brace a week ago, doing strengthening work in the pool a few days ago. Do you agree with Mourinho that he should be available as well?

Jacko21

They wouldn't be Ferguson players either. I think since he went, the ones who were left have been resting on their laurels. Think apart from Valencia all his remnants need to go. Young has done a job but he is too old. He wants all his own players or ones who will as is said, will run through a brick wall for him. He needs his own captain and vice captain who are leaders on the pitch and will not allow people to shirk their playing responsibilities.
Agreed.

The makeup of the squad as a whole is suspect. And it's worrying.

I'm all for the changes Mourinho wants to make. He's the one with the proven track record, not the players.

And I do think the players and indeed some supporters would do well to remember that when they question Mourinho.

Woodzy

He hasn't publicly criticised anyone. In fact, he has publicly praised Juan Mata. People can read between the lines as much they want (and it's fairly obvious that he is not happy with Mike and Phil), but he hasn't really done much wrong here aside from answer a few questions in the best way he could have.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Why would Jose purposely make enemies amongst his squad? How exactly does that benefit him?
Why would Carneiro do her job and go and examine a player who's gone down with a head injury? What would Jose have to gain by attacking his medical staff for doing their jobs?

Jose may well believe that Jones and Smalling have just decided to down tools and can't be bothered for the fight. Or that they don't want to play and are willing to milk their injuries. Strange that Ferguson never seemed to think these things?

Madrid and above Spurs fan not liking Jose.

Well now that's a shock.
Are Spurs fans more likely to dislike Jose than the average fan? I wasn't aware of that. Or you could perhaps just discuss like a normal human being rather than assume everything is some emotional statement only linked to the team supported?

Just what I was thinking :lol:

They should stay in the football forums and quit with the digs at our manager all the time.
I've made almost no comments on Jose on this board. I've almost never posted on this particular forum.

There can be no problem with trying to motivate your players publicly. I just think he's being a complete ass and his comments are silly.

Theonas

Scout
How about Jones being constantly injured? Is that good enough reason?
There is a gigantic difference between questioning the usability of a player on the basis of their physical limitations and questioning their commitment and honesty. The former is totally legitimate and I myself think that at least one of them should be sold, the latter which is what Mourinho is doing warrants a punch in the face and nothing short of c*ntish.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Mata just had groin surgey and he made himself available today. That's what Jose wants, the desire and fight to be there for the team is needed. Where are Jones and Smalling? They're being overly cautious and Jose has called them out. Fully support it. If we didn't have so much on the line at this point in the season then it wouldn't be an issue.
If a manager generally defends his players in public he helps engender their loyalty and creates a "us vs. the world" mentality. Publicly criticising players damages that sense of trust and will inevitably lead to some players becoming disillusioned under the manager, which in turn can lead to him losing the dressing room.

Given how his relationship with the Madrid and Chelsea players deteriorated, he'll have nobody else to blame if his approach screws him over here too.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Well like I said, Jose has got into the heads of a few of you. You're now starting to believe Jones simply doesn't care about his own career.

Smalling in a leg brace a week ago, doing strengthening work in the pool a few days ago. Do you agree with Mourinho that he should be available as well?
I'm talking about Jones, I wanted him out even before Jose got here so yeah, nah. I'm just not discarding the notion that he indeed might be soft and whenever he feels any sort of pain, he doesn't want to play, he wouldn't be the first one to do so either.

Segment

With Jose, it seems his back has finally broken. As good as they may be, the fact they're injured for quite some period of time is worrying

Ban

There is a gigantic difference between questioning the usability of a player on the basis of their physical limitations and questioning their commitment and honesty. The former is totally legitimate and I myself think that at least one of them should be sold, the latter which is what Mourinho is doing warrants a punch in the face and nothing short of c*ntish.
What if they're fit and don't want to come back? What if it's true. I mean, ok you wouldn't ever think it's true cause Jose is the poison but what if?

Ban

Are Spurs fans more likely to dislike Jose than the average fan? I wasn't aware of that. Or you could perhaps just discuss like a normal human being rather than assume everything is some emotional statement only linked to the team supported?
Yes, they are.You'd like to discuss like a normal human being yet you call him a complete ass.
So it just proves my point.

kr0nix

If there are players in the squad that Jose feels aren't giving 100% in training/rehabilitation/on-field performances, he won't hesitate to call them out on it. That's what he's there to do, to be the boss. Fergie wouldn't have tolerated it and neither would Van Gaal (probably). Moyes might have tolerated it, but he's a shit manager.

If we're going to get back to where we want to be, we need everyone ready and willing to really push and fight for their places, week in, week out. We can't indulge stragglers or coasters. We need to send out the message that we can and will pay big money in wages - but that no small measure of skill, hard work and commitment is expected in return.

Ban

Jose may well believe that Jones and Smalling have just decided to down tools and can't be bothered for the fight. Or that they don't want to play and are willing to milk their injuries. Strange that Ferguson never seemed to think these things?
You think he wouldn't? that's cause he would get rid those kind of players.

Son Of Sam

100% agree with this. How many games are left this season about 6 or 7. Jones is sat on his ass with a toe injury. He should be ashamed of himself. I would be getting the strapping on it, injections the lot. He can sit on his ass during the summer. Jones, Smalling, Jones and Rooney need to be shown the door in the summer
I agree 100%

English players are too spoilt. If Mata could go into surgery and he's already preparing to fight then shame on Jones & Smalling. They didn't even get injured playing for the club, they got crocked playing a needless international game.

Get them out of the club. They are not Mourinho's type of players.