Injuries that were turning points in careers

Bole Top

Not an injury as such but I'm going to throw Darren Fletcher in here. He improved dramatically as a footballer and was a true leader in our midfield, showing great energy, tenacity and a willingness to win. He won over the crowd and eventually became loved by many fans. Then, he developed ulcerative colitis and struggled to string together appearances or show the same kind of form as he did before. Derailed his United career massively. I have a friend who suffers from something similar and know how troublesome it can be, affecting so many aspects of day-to-day life.
I was just typing something similar, but you were faster. from a player we missed the most in that final vs Barca to a semi-retired one at 26 only. shame.

Superunknown

I was just typing something similar, but you were faster. from a player we missed the most in that final vs Barca to a semi-retired one at 26 only. shame.
Only word I can use to describe it is "cruel". It was all going the right way for him and then that happened. Still remember that moment he got that red card which prevented him from being the final. We missed his energy and tackling that night. I'm certain that it would have been a very different game had he been playing.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
As I heard; One for Positivity is Mason Greenwood.

Apparently it's his injury that led him to initially tone down his pace and work on his technique and finish ability that we all currently love. Apparently alot of teammates and others found his game to have improved after the injury as he adapted his gameplay afterwards to compensate for the better.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The best example of a player coming back from a career threatening injury most recently is Cazorla. The chances of him playing football were very slim let alone being one of the best midfielders in La Liga on his return. Magnificent achievement.

In terms of players that weren’t quite the same...Coleman after his leg break. Was the best RB in the league, then competed for a while with a few others for that title for the next year or two and then broke his leg and since then he’s slowly got worse. A shame as he was fantastic before then.

IrishMcD

Liam George is one that always sticks out for me, 3 weeks after winning the U18 Eurpopean Championships with Ireland, playing up front with Robbie Keane, he broke his leg quite badly and his career was plagued by injuries after that. I always remember him bagging two against the Croatians in a 5-3 win in the opening game. He didnreally well against an England side that had Jonathon Woodgate and Mathew Upson as their centre back pairing.
He was really highly rated, as were Ritchie Partridge (Liverpool) who was viewed as the next big thing by many, Barry Quinn (Coventry) and Stephen McPhail (Leeds), all who had their own careers blighted by injury too.
Ireland actually won the U16 European Championship that year too, and we really had such high hopes for a new golden era for Irish football. Never came close to reaching the heights we had hoped

piesel

Bit surprised that Alessandro Del Piero hasn't been mentioned, perhaps I'm misinterpreting the criteria. Obviously had a long and wonderful career that is eclipsed by very few and constantly found ways to reinvent his game, but he could have been an even greater player/dribbler/entertainer with a more significant peak if not for the horrific knee injury vs. Udinese which robbed him of a lot of his ferocity and quickness on the ball. Especially off the back of a season where he was a genuine force of nature with 32 goals in all competitions...including a then record 10 in the reorganized Champions League format (as well as a then record 5 in the knockout stages), had established himself as one of the foremost creative attackers in global football with close to 20 assists, and was adjudged Serie A Footballer of the Year ahead of prime Ronaldo Luís (incumbent Ballon D'Or winner and his primary rival in that year's keenly contested Scudetto race with Internazionale).
@Šjor Bepo :drool:
I agree, at that time he was rivalling Ronaldo's greatness (in a different role), he returned ok but was never the same. He became heavier and partially lost that quickness and agility.
Juve must still be having nightmares on what could have been.

Last edited:

Monkey bus

Phil jones but I don't know which injury took his career downwards.
Similar for Bryan Robson. Don’t get me wrong, captaining United and your country can’t be seen as a poor career but I thInk if not for the injuries we’d be talking about one of the greatest ever, not just for United.

In terms of players coming back better I seem to remember Roberto Baggio having 2 cruciate injuries in a short space of time when he was in his teens.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Djibril Cissé for us. Two leg breaks in space of 20 months. Came back too soon in between both injuries. Should have gone on to be our main striker for years after his goal record in France but just had horrible luck with them leg breaks. He wanted to play the striker role but Benitez played him out wide when he recovered before breaking his leg again for France on the day we agreed to loan him out to Marseille. Then he was journeyman ever since.
Lucas Leiva and Fowler too. Lucas was a shame.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Did Rooney’s injury hamper him? The one where he got before we played Bayern (he played the game basically on one foot)
Which one changed him more though?

2004 metatarsal against Portugal - still stayed the same rampaging bulldozer of a player.

2006 metatarsal against Chelsea - destroyed his World Cup and came back to United a different player who took a while to get going in 2006/07 but once he did he ended the season in arguably better form than Ronaldo.

2008 metatarsal against Reading- came back a different player again and took ages to get going in 2007/08 to the point he became a sacrifical lamb for the rest of Ronaldo's United career. Stopped shooting from long range too seemingly.

2010 ankle injury - destroyed his World Cup and the first half of the 2010/11 season but he was also going through his cheating on Coleen and threatening to leave the club phase and I don't really think he changed much as a player after it, just degraded quicker than he would've done perhaps?

Although the flipside is that despite the fact he had a statistically better season in 2011/12 than he'd ever had I don't think he was quite as good as he was in 2009/10 before the injury and that injury probably robbed him of another 10 goals perhaps which would've made it his best ever season and he never reached those heights again.

matherto

Gonna throw another one out.

Del Piero.

Before his knee injury he was lightning quick and a completely different player to the one he was afterwards.

EDIT - @Invictus beat me to it.

Last edited:

Zen86

Valencia was never the same player after his injury. He was as predictable as you could get, defenders knew full well what he was going to do but his ridiculous pace and power meant he was going past them regardless. He kind of lost that a bit after his injury.

matherto

I don't watch City/Aguero closely enough to know but how has he been after the countless injuries he's had?

He's obviously still one of the best strikers in the world but could he have been even better without injuries? (I suppose everyone could've been better without injuries mind).

Another very obvious one is Ledley King. Couldn't train because of his knee but maintained a pretty high level. Could he have been one of the best English defenders ever otherwise?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Probably mentioned already but Gascoigne’s first knee injury in ‘91 arguably finished him as an elite midfielder. He looked absolutely imperious up to that point and arguably on course to be the preeminent midfielder in world football for the duration of the 1990s.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not sure if he's been mentioned but Owen in 1999 v Leeds. Hamstring completely went when through on goal. Was still a very good finisher after he came back but he lost 5% which made him one of the best young talents I'd seen when he was coming through in 97-98.

Also interesting to think back to 2010 and some of the young English players being talked about as England players for next decade, Jones, Carroll, Gibbs, Wilshere, Sturridge and Welbeck. Some of those weren't that good but many of them lost years to injury, Wilshere must've missed 5 years of his career through bad injuries, same for Phil Jones.

On other side Paul Scholes came back very well after his eye problem around 2006.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Juan Valerón

In a way, he shared a similar fate to Zizinho. The Brazilian spearheaded his side to a World Cup final against Uruguay in 1950, a game which they ultimately lost. Naturally this would be bitterly disappointing for a side who had yet to win the World Cup at that point. As such, it is natural that the 1958 side (which managed to win it) is revered. Even more so, considering Brazil is arguably the country where football is appreciated the most. If it hasn't been made clear already, Zizinho was not part of the 1958 side as he had retired from International football. Therefore whilst he's appreciated by Pele amongst others who idolised him, he doesn't have the acclaim he could've had. Now you might be wondering the relevance to Valerón , or perhaps injuries for that matter. Well allow me to offer a very brief and simplistic situation which Valeron was faced with.

So, Juan Valerón was selected in the squad for Spain for the Euros in 2000, the World Cup in 2002, and another Euros in 2004. Somewhat similar to Zizinho's Brazil, by the time Valerón was with Spain it was the case that they had never won a World Cup, and it was 1964 since Spain had won the Euros. Therefore, Spain were eagerly anticipating the day they would break the trend so to speak. They ultimately fell short in 2000, and had legitimate grievances for feeling hard done by in 2002 when they lost to South Korea in highly controversial circumstances. For those wanting to see a quick reminder, click here from 9:37

He was 28 by the time of Euros 2004 and unfortunately for him, Spain were unable to win. In 2006, a tournament which Valerón took no part in, Spain were knocked out by France in the last 16. The important thing to note here is that although it was an early exit, there was a shift from Aragonés in the both the playstyle and personnel which was inextricably linked to the style Spain were successful with in 2008.

Now the time period of 2006-08 was one filled with tribulation from the perspective of Valerón . Indeed, it was 2006 where he tore a cruciate ligament structure in his knee. Unfortunately this wasn't an isolated incident as repercussions were felt around the end of the season, and again this plagued him in the subsequent months to the point that he played something like less than 5 minutes between that point and a period in 07/08 so basically over a season. I think he had another surgery towards the end of this too. It would be the case that 08-12 would be a period of overwhelming success for his countrymen, and had he been a part of that his standing in football would unequivocally be higher by an exponential rate as he's already almost like a cult hero in Spain. A testament to his quality and what could've been.

Speaking of his quality ... his spatial awareness and propensity to find pockets of space to facilitate opportunities with progressive passes, the deftness in his turn to shrug off attempts to dispossess him was a sight to behold. He had a number of stand out performances with one of the most notable being this performance against Bayern Munich

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Rooney against Bayern in 2010. Yes, I know he was fantastic in the second half of the 10-11 season and scored 34 goals the following season, but he was never the same after that injury. He lost his explosive pace following that injury, as he was rushed back the following week and then still played more matches until the end of the season as well as playing for England in the summer.

He lost the ability to stretch the opposition defense with his pace following this injury, and that led him to adapting his game and dropping deeper, and invariably needing a partner up top. While he played as part of a 2 many times even in the 09/10 season, you always felt he never needed to, but after his injury he lacked that explosive pace to play alone up top.

Irwin99

Keane's hip injury and surgery in 03 was talked of as having made a very noticeable change in his play style and there was even some talk about him possibly moving into a centre back role to prolong his career, especially after a game against Juventus away in which he did really well at centre back. Statistically he had a very good season in his last full year at United in regards to passing and tackling (04-05) but there were two years or so where he was adjusting to a less dynamic role. Still put in some great performances here and there but was never quite the force he was.

Bole Top

Not sure if he's been mentioned but Owen in 1999 v Leeds. Hamstring completely went when through on goal.
literally the first example in opening post :lol:

pretty much every injury that Stuart Holden suffered in 2011-2013 period. first he was out for six months after a clash with our own Evans, followed by 16 months break and then he got another injury that ruled him out for 9 months. retired after that.

also, I'd mention M. Sissoko and his injuries in his first season at Juventus. it was years ago, in those wild years with Poulsen and Amauri still in team, but I remember him starting for them fairly often before he got fecked. he was always a limited but still useful player because of his engine, but after all those injuries he was pretty much finished at the age of 25. very similar path to Essien post 2010.

sparx99

I'm not quite sure that's how I remember Shaw. When he first came, I recall the consensus was he was good in defending rather than attack, and that it was rare as most fullbacks from his generation catches the eye with their attacking prowess rather than defending capabilities.
His time at Southampton he was definitely characterised as an attacking full back. He was 17 and making lung-bursting forward runs.

Stacks

Cristiano Ronaldo 08/09 injuries.

His game change from a flamboyant all-around winger geared for entertainment ---to---> a forward direct machine geared to score exponential record-breaking goals.
It hampered him for a bit & he had a shit World Cup in 2010 but he went on to have his best season in 11-12 so it didn’t finish him.

I’ve always said, Madrid got the goal machine & stat padder, but we got the best of Ronaldo. The man was an outrageously entertaining footballer from about 05-08. Fair play to him for evolving & extending his career by literally years, but he’s never topped his United years in terms of footballing ability.
completely false. You must have skipped his early career at Madrid and only remembering him at 30 onwards. There is a myth that Cristiano joined Madrid and became a penalty box striker. He moved to them at 24 remember? I remember him at Madrid frequently picking up the ball from deep and driving forward with the ball launching attacks, doing all the same tricks I saw in a United shirt. He was the same. later as he got older, this changed when he started winning champions leagues etc

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Was about to mention him. Had loads of promise and was really highly rated in a good Bayern team.
Yeah, i'd say he would have been Germanys best player alongside Ballack and Kahn in the 00 decade, even though he was always coming back from injuries, but depression and injuries destroyed his career unfortunately.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Gabriel Heinze signed for Utd in 2004 and won player of the year, nailing himself down as a fan favourite, first choice, combative LB.

September 2005, did his knee in a CL match ruling him out for the season.

Utd, forced to bring in someone to cover for him, sign Patrice Evra from Monaco in the Jan transfer window for £5m.

simplyared

Tomas Brolin broke his left ankle playing for Sweden against Hungary in the European qualifying group 1994. Saw it on the telly when he puts in a cross from the right wing to Martin Dahlin who scores and makes it 2-0 for Sweden. On making the pass his foot gets caught and twists under his body weight. He was never the same player after that. Signed for Leeds. How he passed a medical I never know. Probably gets the prize for the worst foreign signing made by an English club. Before his injury : different player! Ended his career at 28 yrs of age.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Essien wasnt the same after his numerous ops. Think Casiraghi would have been very good if not for the injury v West Ham. Never kicked a ball again

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Villa, he had already won everything in his career back on his leg injury in 2011, he was 30, but still, that took him 8 months out, missed our second half os the season (it was a huge part of our UCL and Liga runs) and couldn't play the Euro 2012.

Not only missing that whole season reduced his legacy as a player at club and international levels, he was still great as a 30 y/o player, but once he came back his speed and power were affected, without that injury I think he could've played at the top level, at least, until 2016, after the injury he was still good, but had lost and edge on his game.

And then there's Sergio Asenjo, the guy was brilliant and broke through really young (19 y/o), a lot of talent, explosive, good height... but he's blown his ACL 4 times already, the first one when he was 20, back in 2009. We don't know where his ceiling was, probably could've taken over the spot for Spain after 2010 and hold it until today.

The first time Asenjo did his ACL, that opened the doors to... David De Gea, the second time he had the injury (loaned in Malaga), it prompted Atletico to look for a loan on his spot and they got... Courtois. If Asenjo managed to stay healthy, he could've kept 2 of the best GK's of this decade warming the bench.