The Caf's Ezza.
Varane now out

Mount
Shaw
Malacia
Højlund not fully fit yet
Martial Martial

Is there anyone I'm forgetting?

Is it bad luck or is there a root cause?

We should just assume Varane is injured at all times, meaning the centre of defence is another huge weakness of ours.

1. Who is Martial Martial? So good they named him twice?

There is clearly some new form of disease that has broken out and it's being surpressed like what China did in Wuhan. You won't pull the wool over my eyes.

It's annoying that we don't know what is up with Shaw and Malacia, nor how long they are out for. The secrecy is bizarre.

Hopefully Hojlund will feature soon. Can understand the process with him.

Varane has been injury prone for quite some time now.
Mount has been transferred after he missed a lot of last season due to injury so no surprises once again.
Shaw had seasons when he barely played due to injuries, even if in last few he improved in that aspect
Martial has a monthly subscription to injuries.

Hojlund and Malacia might be bad luck

It's annoying that we don't know what is up with Shaw and Malacia, nor how long they are out for. The secrecy is bizarre.

long time. Think they are being secretive so we dont get held to ransom over any negotiations for cover - could get our pants pulled down even over a loan fee

We should just assume Varane is injured at all times, meaning the centre of defence is another huge weakness of ours.

We had indication for this last year when he couldn't stay more than 3 matches fit.

As much as I like Varane the best option this summer was to sell him and get some money out of him while we still could and get a younger and less injury prone player on his place. But of course with our board this could not happen because they are too far from the truth and the reality and do not know where they are and what they are doing.

A person from afar could predict what would have happen to Varane, he is finished i don't think he is capable to play top level football anymore. Even if he comes back from the injury i give him 2 games until his next one, which is sad.

Part of this is overblown by the media as always because in reality we have a number of injury prone players.

To differing extents Varane, Martial, Shaw pick up injuries every season, it's ok having a couple of these players but all of these are First team XI when fit. It is high risk.

I like to think we took Hojlund out of the Tues media session for a bit of mind games with Arteta and he'll start at the weekend - probably a fool's hope but we'll see.

Pre-season didn't feel right to me. Lots of games, lots of travelling. We know he pushes them hard pre-season.

Did his Ajax teams often start slowly?

What even is Malacia's injury? He has been gone since the end of last season and doesn't look to be coming back anytime soon. It's bizarre.

Pre-season didn't feel right to me. Lots of games, lots of travelling. We know he pushes them hard pre-season.

I think I read that he did. He used to break it into 4 quarters and aim to peak around the 3rd quarter when the matches come thick and fast. Someone on here might have said it.

Anyway welcome to the Premier League where the team that wins it usually has 16-18 wins by Christmas.

Shaw apparently has muscle problems in the leg he broke from playing too much on it last year. Could be up to 3 months out or more.

From a few weeks ago. Amad and Mainoo have knee/ankle injuries, so safe to assume Malacia has a similar issue.

Tyrell’s injury is more comparable to those suffered by Amad and Kobbie Mainoo on tour, according to Erik.

“Malacia's will take some time, the same as Amad and Kobbie, they are really impact injuries,” Ten Hag said in Friday’s press conference.

It's hugely concerning as we get long periods with many injuries every season. Clearly something isn't right.

It's just part of the ridiculous lack of infrastructure in place under the penny-pinching owners. It's unlikely to ever change, but it also means that our refusal to spend money on players that we clearly need, such as back up CB, will always come back to bite us when we're forced to play players who are not good enough but that we've failed to sell.

We're such a banter club these days, it's quite sad.

It's a decent list, but a bit over exaggerated as per usual.

Mount is easily covered with Eriksen.

Amad and Mainoo are kids and won't play much this season.

Martial is nothing new, he is constantly injured.

Malacia is a squad player.

Højlund is unknown.

So its basically Varane and Shaw who are injured and will be missed. So Lindelof/Maguire/Evans/Dalot will have to cover for them.

Varane will be back in a game or two.

Mount isn't even a standard team member yet.
Nor is Rasmus.

So, what, that's our standard left back gone for a month or so.

THAT'S WHAT YOU CALL A CRISIS?!?

The number of non-contact injuries is quite concerning. That's a lot to do with the training and recovery process.

I thought there weren't enough games.

Very few actually played 90 mins in pre season.

Not to be another pessimist on a site full of pessimists, but Arsenal could actually get revenge for the 8-2 at OT. They also went into that game with a lot of injuries.

Ten Hag isn't exactly immune from a battering away from home.

Not to be another pessimist on a site full of pessimists, but Arsenal could actually get revenge for the 8-2 at OT. They also went into that game with a lot of injuries.

Ten Hag isn't exactly immune from a battering away from home.

Wouldn't actually surprise me if the opposite is true and we actually go there and get a win. You just can't tell with us. :lol:

Something isn't right though with the amount of injuries we have at this stage of the season.

Part of this is overblown by the media as always because in reality we have a number of injury prone players.

To differing extents Varane, Martial, Shaw pick up injuries every season, it's ok having a couple of these players but all of these are First team XI when fit. It is high risk.

I like to think we took Hojlund out of the Tues media session for a bit of mind games with Arteta and he'll start at the weekend - probably a fool's hope but we'll see.
Zero chance he’ll start

The Situation with Hojlund is very odd, how the hell did he pass a medical ?
Hope he does not turn out to be another Hargreaves, sure his was some sort of stress related fracture.

It's not that odd, medicals are there to spot any potential problems that could lead to chronic injuries or weaknesses. They're actually pretty redundant a lot of the time, as the selling club is meant to provide the player's full medical history. It's more to do with due diligence than anything else.

Højlund just had a minor issue that needed rest and meant he wasn't available straight away, but they rated him highly enough to do go through with it.

Hargreaves is perhaps a better example of an odd transfer, in hindsight. You have to wonder what happened with picking up the tendonitis in his knee, as apparently he had the issue already when at Bayern. I can only imagine that they didn't think it was that serious and could be managed, but then a serious knee injury compiled the situation and it became an aggressive weakness. So it was either negligence from the medical team, or just really bad luck for Owen. I know he had some harsh words for them when he left, although that might have stemmed from personal anguish and frustration with what happened to his career.

It's not that odd, medicals are there to spot any potential problems that could lead to chronic injuries or weaknesses. They're actually pretty redundant a lot of the time, as the selling club is meant to provide the player's full medical history. It's more to do with due diligence than anything else.

Højlund just had a minor issue that needed rest and meant he wasn't available straight away, but they rated him highly enough to do go through with it.

Hargreaves is perhaps a better example of an odd transfer, in hindsight. You have to wonder what happened with picking up the tendonitis in his knee, as apparently he had the issue already when at Bayern. I can only imagine that they didn't think it was that serious and could be managed, but then a serious knee injury compiled the situation and it became an aggressive weakness. So it was either negligence from the medical team, or just really bad luck for Owen. I know he had some harsh words for them when he left, although that might have stemmed from personal anguish and frustration with what happened to his career.
Cheers for that, your post is excellent.

The number of non-contact injuries is quite concerning. That's a lot to do with the training and recovery process.

Three of them are contact injuries. Hojlunds happened before he joined. Mount had the same injury last season.

Which leaves Shaw and Varane. How much are we reading into those two being injured.

All smoke no fire this.

It's hugely concerning as we get long periods with many injuries every season. Clearly something isn't right.

It's just part of the ridiculous lack of infrastructure in place under the penny-pinching owners. It's unlikely to ever change, but it also means that our refusal to spend money on players that we clearly need, such as back up CB, will always come back to bite us when we're forced to play players who are not good enough but that we've failed to sell.

We're such a banter club these days, it's quite sad.
These consistent injury crises go back all the way to the SAF days. I don't believe in coincidences or bad luck when it's this frequent, so like you say, the most plausible explanation is that there's something we're not doing right on the medical infrastructure / physio / sports science side.

Shaw apparently has muscle problems in the leg he broke from playing too much on it last year. Could be up to 3 months out or more.

From a few weeks ago. Amad and Mainoo have knee/ankle injuries, so safe to assume Malacia has a similar issue.

It looks like a pattern now with Shaw. He starts having injury problems after every season when he plays relatively a lot and it's usually related to his leg break. It happened in 19/20, 21/22 and this season.

It looks like a pattern now with Shaw. He starts having injury problems after every season when he plays relatively a lot and it's usually related to his leg break. It happened in 19/20, 21/22 and this season.

Sure half the point of Malacia was to ease Shaws workload last season.

Yes. He's a notorious slow starter.

Which I'd say is a good thing in my opinion. Pep is the master of starting slow.

we only started getting injuries after ten hag made the players run 13k after the brentford loss last year.

Complete rubbish, how long is Amad already out for? Clubs doesn't even want fans to know. What there to hide?