Injury Crisis 2023/24 | Martínez and Casemiro back in training

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It’s not just football though. Tennis players blaming the balls, football players blaming number of matches.

It’s almost as if there’s currently a pandemic in which people keep getting reinfected with a virus shown to induce muscular damage.

COVID negatively impacts body composition/muscle function

Association between SARS‐COV‐2 infection and muscle strain injury occurrence in elite male football players

The study above reported a five times higher risk of developing a muscle strain after a SARS-CoV-2 infection in elite male football players.

Since more time that’s passed = more infections, you’d expect the situation to worsen year by year, which it is doing.

The women’s game hasn’t escaped the injuries either.

Arsenal Women’s list of injuries just keeps growing – 43% of players injured

Oh and just across the Atlantic. Injury crisis in the NFL.

What’s Causing the NFL’s QB Injury Crisis?

MLB too. They’re trying to blame the pitch clock though rather than number of games or the balls. Such an amazing coincidence every major sport has an injury crisis.

Major League Baseball more severe injuries
:nervous:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Are any of the walking dead actually close to returning any time soon?

VivaRonaldo85

It can’t just be bad luck. How are these guys training? What are the coaches, physios, doctors and nutritionists doing? What equipment and facilities do they operate with? Players coming back and then getting re injured (eg. Shaw tonight). Best in class we should have in all these areas. But I fear none of these areas are best, hence a never ending injury crisis crippling the squad.

Marwood

It can’t just be bad luck. How are these guys training? What are the coaches, physios, doctors and nutritionists doing? What equipment and facilities do they operate with? Players coming back and then getting re injured (eg. Shaw tonight). Best in class we should have in all these areas. But I fear none of these areas are best, hence a never ending injury crisis crippling the squad.
Just look at Shaw. Does he look like a top class athlete capable of bombing up and down the line all game? No facilities can sort him out.

Maguires injury record has been very good whilst at the club.

saivet

Rashford
Martial
Sancho (not injury, but still)
Diallo
Eriksen
Mount
Casemiro
Shaw
Maguire
Martinez
Malacia

Is that all?
Believe Amad is back in full training so hopefully he's not too far away. Martial and Rashford are "ill" so hopefully back soon. Suppose we'll have to wait and see on Lindelof, Maguire and Shaw but hopefully things aren't as bad for the weekend....or before the festive fixtures.

Fahad Jawaid

Shaw is unfit and injury prone. We need to sign a LB pronto in the next window. Reguilon is not to the standard required. Similarly Varane is also very injury prone, we need to get their replacements, we would be stupid to go into another season without getting their replacements.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Shaw is unfit and injury prone. We need to sign a LB pronto in the next window. Reguilon is not to the standard required. Similarly Varane is also very injury prone, we need to get their replacements, we would be stupid to go into another season without getting their replacements.
Reguilon is definitely the standard required, he’s class.

Chumpsbechumps

we would be stupid to ….
Uniteds motto should be “stupid is as stupid does”

For many years I’ve felt that whatever those at the top of the club want or do, the opposite was probably the better option.

We have clowns running our club, until that changes the best we can hope for is a comfortable top 4 qualification for the CL. That’s the best we have gotten in 11 years.

nmm85

Is there anywhere we can find out how our injuries have compared against other teams this season? Seems like our injuries have been way worse than I can remember and for a longer stretch of time but could just feel that way with the season were having.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I don’t know how anybody can look at that and not conclude there might be something in the over-worked complaints from players and managers.
A quarter of the league has half their squad injured, and 4 more teams have around 8 players out. Thats half of the league effectively operating with their main XI unable to play. It’s insane

cbmufc

Shaw was out for months, came back out of nowhere and started. Don't recall anything about him playing in the reserves, happened out of nowhere.

That was at Everton. 3 days later he plays a full game in Istanbul. 3 days after that he plays a full game vs Newcastle - then he turs around and plays a full game vs Chelsea and again on shorter rest, starts vs Bournemouth. Get's taken off early to give him a breather (and he looked jaded) , and then finally after his 6th game in 17 days, after he looked shattered on Saturday he breaks down. All this whilst in the background this Varane situation, I don't care what's gone on we aren't in a position to alienate someone who got on like a house on fire with the manager until what seem's to be august this year.

Now I like the Manager, he will get it right and I get how important how Shaw is to us - but that above is gross negligence and the result is we may now miss him for an extended period. Really frustrating because this was completely predictable in Shaw's case.

RedUnited86

Shaw was out for months, came back out of nowhere and started. Don't recall anything about him playing in the reserves, happened out of nowhere.

That was at Everton. 3 days later he plays a full game in Istanbul. 3 days after that he plays a full game vs Newcastle - then he turs around and plays a full game vs Chelsea and again on shorter rest, starts vs Bournemouth. Get's taken off early to give him a breather (and he looked jaded) , and then finally after his 6th game in 17 days, after he looked shattered on Saturday he breaks down. All this whilst in the background this Varane situation, I don't care what's gone on we aren't in a position to alienate someone who got on like a house on fire with the manager until what seem's to be august this year.

Now I like the Manager, he will get it right and I get how important how Shaw is to us - but that above is gross negligence and the result is we may now miss him for an extended period. Really frustrating because this was completely predictable in Shaw's case.
Rushed back....to play him at CB.

At this point it looks like the manager has had a titiful and is actively trying to get himself sacked.

Marwood

I don’t know how anybody can look at that and not conclude there might be something in the over-worked complaints from players and managers.
A quarter of the league has half their squad injured, and 4 more teams have around 8 players out. Thats half of the league effectively operating with their main XI unable to play. It’s insane
The majority of the league doesn't have European football or international football to play. It can't be too many games for them.

West Ham and City played lots last year. Very few injuries.

Last edited:

IRN-BRUno

Agree with this. It's poor management with any player but especially so with someone who has the injury history of Shaw. I was surprised he started against Bournemouth because it seemed so obvious that he couldn't keep playing every few days after just coming back and on paper that seemed the logical game to rest him.

cbmufc

Agree with this. It's poor management with any player but especially so with someone who has the injury history of Shaw. I was surprised he started against Bournemouth because it seemed so obvious that he couldn't keep playing every few days after just coming back and on paper that seemed the logical game to rest him.
Agree, even then he took him off early so he clearly could see it. Well done - but then don't play him again last night. You're asking for it and now we have it.

He does this a lot in game when it's done - take lads off to mitigate injury. Same with Varane last night - this is good but how about just not playing them in the first place? With Bruno I'm almost happy he's banned because at least he's guaranteed to have a rest because you know he isn't missing a minute.

Rushed back....to play him at CB.

At this point it looks like the manager has had a titiful and is actively trying to get himself sacked.
To opposite - Shaw is an excellent player. He was excellent at CB last year, I don't get the criticism in that regard - I think from a tactical perspective that's one of ETH's better moves. But good god don't flog him to the extent he has been - it's not a coincidence he was crap saturday and gave a goal away - guy has gone from not playing to playing every 3 days.

RuudTom83

Beginning to think the overly physical pressing game is not made for prolonged success. Liverpool regularly have to take a season off to recover, and the wheels can quickly fall off as soon as a few players don't give 100%.

Year 1 under EtH showed some progress, but lets face it half of the squad cannot press for 45 minutes never mind 90 minutes 3 times a week.

Need to find a way of making the games easier and not so much of a toll on their bodies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Oh no, do I even dare look at the twitter comments?
It’s just classic daily Mail clickbait. All corporations want to be seen to embrace diversity so there’s always an expectation to build some goals related into diversity into any big project. Especially if it relates to personnel. So obviously the Mail will have taken a bullet point from page three of the proposal and make it their headline.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s not just football though. Tennis players blaming the balls, football players blaming number of matches.

It’s almost as if there’s currently a pandemic in which people keep getting reinfected with a virus shown to induce muscular damage.

COVID negatively impacts body composition/muscle function

Association between SARS‐COV‐2 infection and muscle strain injury occurrence in elite male football players

The study above reported a five times higher risk of developing a muscle strain after a SARS-CoV-2 infection in elite male football players.

Since more time that’s passed = more infections, you’d expect the situation to worsen year by year, which it is doing.

The women’s game hasn’t escaped the injuries either.

Arsenal Women’s list of injuries just keeps growing – 43% of players injured

Oh and just across the Atlantic. Injury crisis in the NFL.

What’s Causing the NFL’s QB Injury Crisis?

MLB too. They’re trying to blame the pitch clock though rather than number of games or the balls. Such an amazing coincidence every major sport has an injury crisis.

Major League Baseball Increased Injury Severity
The science behind what you’re claiming is sloppy as hell. Basically any viral illness can cause muscle weakness and myalgia. Everyone knows that who’s ever had flu. With covid professional athletes would have been forced to self isolate and miss out on maintenance S&C training. Add that all together and it’s no great surprise that when Covid was forcing a lot of athletes to take time out from their training regimes they were at increased risk of a muscle strain on their return. There’s zero evidence that being infected with covid causes some sort of chronic, ongoing muscle weakness. I’d go as far as saying it’s extremely unlikely. What is a very likely cause for covid muscular injuries getting more common has been the disrupted sporting calendar, with major tournaments postponed/delayed and much worse fixture congestion than ever before. Obviously, in terms of football, a mid season World Cup was always going to be a bit of a disaster for professional footballers.

Manncunian

The science behind what you’re claiming is sloppy as hell. Basically any viral illness can cause muscle weakness and myalgia. Everyone knows that who’s ever had flu. With covid professional athletes would have been forced to self isolate and miss out on maintenance S&C training. Add that all together and it’s no great surprise that when Covid was forcing a lot of athletes to take time out from their training regimes they were at increased risk of a muscle strain on their return. There’s zero evidence that being infected with covid causes some sort of chronic, ongoing muscle weakness. I’d go as far as saying it’s extremely unlikely. What is a very likely cause for covid muscular injuries getting more common has been the disrupted sporting calendar, with major tournaments postponed/delayed and much worse fixture congestion than ever before. Obviously, in terms of football, a mid season World Cup was always going to be a bit of a disaster for professional footballers.
I was awaiting the inevitable response claiming it’s all one big coincidence. Rather than claiming the science is “sloppy as hell”, would you care to explain why it is so?

Lockdowns to blame 3.5 years ago is it then? Football continued as usual, as you well know. As did most other sports. Just behind closed doors. And there’s far more studies than the two I linked, but I’m not sure spamming studies is beneficial. You’ll just come back and say “no it can’t be covid, it’s just a cold”. As you’ve done multiple times in the past when this subject has popped up.

In fact, it only takes a quick search for the word “Covid” under your username, and you’ve got quite the posting history on the subject. Borderline obsessive, considering this is a football forum. Always the same “influenza is more dangerous, vaccines for kids are evil etc, why bother testing anymore, live your life”.

I’m more than happy for you to challenge the science/claims around Covid and present you with data/evidence to prove it either right or wrong. Something which is severely lacking in your entire positing history on covid, is evidence. It’s never provided, shockingly :lol: .

You also know full well professional athletes do not test for covid anymore. It is not a requirement, and is in fact discouraged. Plenty of players have missed games recently citing “illness”, they just never specify what it is. Some may be covid, it may not be. But they certainly aren’t avoiding infection since they’re mixing as usual, just as we all are. Or are you going to claim covid isn’t infecting anyone anymore? It is literally impossible to avoid Covid now unless you isolate yourself away completely from human life/mask etc. Footballers certainly aren’t doing that.

But seeing as I actually bothered to link some scientific research which did highlight a heightened risk of injury after infection, would you care to provide some evidence/science to the contrary? More than happy to see those and discuss. I’m also happy to link even more studies showing the musculoskeletal impacts of covid.

And you cite the World Cup. The women’s game didn’t have the winter World Cup yet their injuries are as bad. Nor did the NFL, MLB, or tennis. But you conveniently skipped past those injury crises. You also cited a congested fixture schedule, but tennis certainly hasn’t had one. Nor has the NFL.

Do you not play football yourself? I do, and injuries even amongst the amateur leagues are aplenty. What’s your specific reason for injury crises in the lower leagues? Middlesbrough are having a terrible time with injuries at the moment.

So just to clarify, you genuinely believe it’s just one big massive coincidence? I’m saying it could potentially be coincidental, albeit unlikely, but I don’t think you or I could say beyond reasonable doubt. So I find it bizarre that you completely dismiss the notion.

What will the excuse be when the situation is even worse next season? And is for the other sports too? And then even worse the season after that? Or will it all just resolve itself and cease to be a problem?

Probably best to not even discuss this topic, and just let’s wait and see what happens. Hopefully it’s got absolutely nothing to do with the ongoing pandemic and injuries won’t continue to worsen, and people won’t keep getting sick multiple times per year. Let’s reassess Christmas 2024.

Last edited: