Injury prone strikers - Who would have been best if they had just stayed fit? Martial? Saha?

Loony BoB

Yep, it's a "What if..." thread. But it's something I have on my mind every time I read a Martial article. For me, Saha was always one of those "what if..." players that comes into my mind. What if he had stayed fit? Would he have been our #1 striker? These days, it's the same question I have for Martial. Would we be thinking of him as a sure-fire starter and not be so desperate for a starting #9 if Martial was just able to keep himself fit?

Which do you think would have been better if they both played regularly? Any other injury-prone United forwards you can think of that should also be mentioned?

Chief123

The real question should be would R9 have been the greatest player ever? Yes.

pacifictheme

Martial blows quite hot and cold even when fit. He's good but I feel like saha was a better player. He played in a much better team and didn't look out of place at all.

Marwood

Saha.

Martial might be silkier on the eye but Saha had a bit of everything. Faster, stronger, better in the air, more aggressive, harder working.

Martial better first touch.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Any other injury-prone United forwards you can think of that should also be mentioned?
Not sure I’d describe him as injury-prone, but Dion Dublin developed into a very capable PL forward after that major injury he suffered derailed his time at United. Obviously the Cantona signing also played its part in that.

Others who may have played a bigger role at the club were it not for injuries would include Alan Smith and Danny Welbeck, but I doubt their impact would have been particularly significant.

Glorio

Saha I feel, based on the fact that he had a lot more natural hunger, intensity, strength, and speed. A more natural CF and goal scorer as well.

Martial is definitely more naturally skillful player, better balance, looks a better technician, particularly in the build up, but a lot more laid back.

So yeah, for me, Saha, as he'd be a lot more decisive in winning games. I said Martial is more naturally skillful, but that's not to say that Saha wasn't, as he definitely was quite highly skilled in his own right.

astracrazy

If you look at ages and when injury problems started, you could argue Martials potential has been affected more. Not that I think he would be better than Saha, but worth considering.

Last edited:

MrQuentin

The problem with Saha was his injury record.

The problem with Martial is his injury record. And his inconsistency. And his lackadaisical attitude.

Saha was comfortably the better player for me.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think Saha was the best or second best striker around when fit. Martial isn't close to him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Saha was always overrated for me. Good, but not the talent he's made out to be. Martial all day everyday.

Smores

I really don't think it's even a debate. Saha was a proven striker where as even with injuries aside there's still question marks as to whether Martial can play the role properly.

stu_1992

As a pure 9, Saha was better as he had more of what you'd need and want for that role.

Stadjer

Was Saha in his younger days even seen as a big talent? Or was he just ignored because of other French strikers like Henry, Trezeguet and Anelka?

The Golden Boy award wasnt a thing in Saha his youth but i doubt Saha would have won it. Martial did win it, it doesnt say everything (or much at all) but it does show how talented Martial was considered at the time.

When Saha came to Manchester United he was a more developed player. He was 25 years old, he already played multiple seasons as a starter in France and in England. Its not that strange that he was a more complete, better and more developed player when he came to Manchester United than Martial was when Martial came to Manchester United. If you claim Saha was 'miles better' at 25 than Martial at that age (ruined by managers and injuries) i can understand it. However was Saha at 19 as good as the 19 year old Martial who signed for Manchester United? I dont know but Google tells me that Saha was playing for Metz in France and scoring 5 goals in 47 games. It looks like Saha started scoring goals for Fulham when he was around 22 years old.

Martial came to Manchester United as a hugely talented young player and looked great when LVG was the manager. Mourinho didnt like him and Ole didnt have a clue how to be a manager. If LVG stayed or a manager who liked Martial and knew how to develop players than Martial (without injuries ofcourse) would have been a much better player as he is now. Ole making Martial play through injuries also didnt help much for Martial his development... or long term fitness as we can see now.

Saying that Saha is better (in this what if scenario) seems a bit like looking back at the good old days, forgetting bad games Saha surely had, when Saha played in a much better team for the best manager while recency bias towards Martial is that Martial is always injured and cant even run at times. People seem to have forgotten how good and exciting young Martial was.

JPRouve

Scout
Was Saha in his younger days even seen as a big talent? Or was he just ignored because of other French strikers like Henry, Trezeguet and Anelka?

The Golden Boy award wasnt a thing in Saha his youth but i doubt Saha would have won it. Martial did win it, it doesnt say everything (or much at all) but it does show how talented Martial was considered at the time.

When Saha came to Manchester United he was a more developed player. He was 25 years old, he already played multiple seasons as a starter in France and in England. Its not that strange that he was a more complete, better and more developed player when he came to Manchester United than Martial was when Martial came to Manchester United. If you claim Saha was 'miles better' at 25 than Martial at that age (ruined by managers and injuries) i can understand it. However was Saha at 19 as good as the 19 year old Martial who signed for Manchester United? I dont know but Google tells me that Saha was playing for Metz in France and scoring 5 goals in 47 games. It looks like Saha started scoring goals for Fulham when he was around 22 years old.

Martial came to Manchester United as a hugely talented young player and looked great when LVG was the manager. Mourinho didnt like him and Ole didnt have a clue how to be a manager. If LVG stayed or a manager who liked Martial and knew how to develop players than Martial (without injuries ofcourse) would have been a much better player as he is now. Ole making Martial play through injuries also didnt help much for Martial his development... or long term fitness as we can see now.

Saying that Saha is better (in this what if scenario) seems a bit like looking back at the good old days, forgetting bad games Saha surely had, when Saha played in a much better team for the best manager while recency bias towards Martial is that Martial is always injured and cant even run at times. People seem to have forgotten how good and exciting young Martial was.
At youth level Saha was seen has the best prospect.

JPRouve

Scout
He is the same age as Anelka. I though Anelka was seen as the most talented out of the whole group of very talented French strikers.
No, it was Saha. At Clairefontaine Saha was the better player and iirc he was also better before Clairefontaine.

Chairman Steve

Louis Saha was amazing when his knees were deemed fit enough to play. Much better than Martial in my opinion.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Saha was 10 times the player Martial was. He was a notch or two below to Henry

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Saha has everything you'd want from a centre forward. Martial blows hot and cold even when fit.

bringbackbebe

I never saw it with Saha. He was amazing whenever he played "against" us but otherwise he was the Martial of that era. His legacy seems to increase with every passing year.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Saha. What a player he was and could have been

The Law of Denis

Saha kicked Ruud Van Nistelrooy out of our team.

Do you think Martial would ever kick someone at the quality of Van Nistelrooy out of our team? No Chance.

Saha was much better than Martial now.

Jericholyte2

Saha could have been Drogba MkII if he’d been able to play 35 games per season.