Television Inside No. 9

JP77

New show from the guys from League Of Gentleman and Psychoville. Anybody been watching? BBC Two every Wednesday, currently three episodes in.

The first two episodes were fantastic but tonight's somehow took it a step further with an incredible twist. Seriously recommend you check this show out, might not be everybody's cup of tea but IMO it's incredible writing.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The first two were my favorites. A little surprised "A Quiet Night In" didn't get more attention given it was quite a showboating high concept episode. But then that's par for the course with Shearsmith/Pemberton stuff. Psychoville was criminally slept on. I can see why it's niche, but it's so effortlessly above any "mainstream" comedy on the Beeb right now in ideas, writing, acting, production, etc even at it's worst that it's a shame to be shuffled away late on Wednesdays. (Would House of Fools have even got near a producer if it wasn't Vic & Bob? Actually, don't answer that)

Last edited:

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I've only watched tonight's episode but it was a good watch even though I predicted the outcome near the beginning. I'm eager for more episodes anyway.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I've really enjoyed these stories - the last two have been particularly strong and memorable; I look forward to the rest of the series.

Mockney

"It must be awful in that job. You're always a pig or a vulture aren't you? never a horse or an animal with dignity"

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
I caught up with the first 3 of these on iPlayer over the weekend. They're really quite excellent aren't they?

Alright the first one was a bit 'meh' but the second and third were brilliantly played out. Will be recommending to all and sundry.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Last one was fricking scary!

One with Miggs was probably my favourite. Though the silent one was the funniest.

Pemberton and Shearsmith are ridiculously good.

Silva

Just watched these, funniest thing I've seen on TV in the last couple of years. Episode two (the silent one) was probably my favorite, biggest laugh was when the big dog waltzed in.

They also did a 7th online-only episode-ish thing, which they hyped up as being some sort of amazing new way of consuming content, but it was just awful.

Mockney

... which they hyped up as being some sort of amazing new way of consuming content, but it was just awful.
Yep. And oddly seemed like it would've been harder to make than just filming it. It seemed pointless in every aspect.

Mockney

It was ok. Pretty baseline for them. My standards are incredibly high after the last series (and Psychoville) though.

b82REZ

It was ok. Pretty baseline for them. My standards are incredibly high after the last series though.
I really enjoy how they take a seemingly mundane situation and add some macbre twist. They've certainly made better episodes but I'm optimistic for the rest of the series.

Oggmonster

I thought it was pretty dull, especially compared to Series 1. There was no way near the same level of humour as the previous series. Probably the worst episode they've done (if not 2nd behind the one with the balloon last year) but in fairness the majority of them have been very good.

Mockney

I thought the worse one was the one that ended with a white haired demon raping a school girl.

Though tbf that was a very brave commission in the wake of the Saville scandal.

b82REZ

Very well made, but was more a drama than a comedy. Making gay puns doesn't count as comedy.

Oggmonster

I thought the worse one was the one that ended with a white haired demon raping a school girl.

Though tbf that was a very brave commission in the wake of the Saville scandal.
I'd erased that one from my memory until just seen this!! Yeah that was a weird episode.

Good episode last night, better than last weeks anyway. It does seem a bit more serious than last series but still has moments of humour.

Loon

:lol:
Thought this week's ep was derivative. Shan't state of what because it would be instant spoiler.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Best (and genuinely funny) episode so far. Wonderful guest star.
Yes, great episode. The upcoming three episodes are all great in their own way too. For me, the second series is more consistent than the first.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The witch one for me wasn't that great. Obvious ending.

Silva

That was great.

I don't really mind the predictability, there's not really much you can do about it when you're writing a dark comedy anthology and I prefer the predictable endings to them going overboard just to shock/surprise because that wouldn't work as well. Just enjoy the ride, man.

Yes, great episode. The upcoming three episodes are all great in their own way too. For me, the second series is more consistent than the first.
You been to screenings or something?