Interim manager discussion: Who replaces the interim interim manger (Carrick)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Not sure why Fletcher would get the caretaker gig when there are plenty of proven managers out of work like Allardyce, Hodgson and (if we're desperate to have an ex player) Brucey or Hughesy

redIndianDevil

We need to have a clear out once we have found a manager, too many formers players trying to hang onto the club whilst bringing zero input.
Exactly. Go out and gain valuable experience at so many smaller clubs.

DickDastardly

it isn't obvious what are you even talking about?

you're implying we should have a manager signed, sealed and delivered before we even sack Ole - which is just silly
Why is it silly?

Its not like this happened out of the blue.

He's been wank from the start of the season.
And once we lost to Pool and City in a humiliating way...well, if they didn't start looking then, they really are incompetent.

I'm not saying we should see an appointment straight tomorrow, but if we go in the game against Chelsea with Fletcher then that's fecked up.

Matt851

But clearly there was a succession plan. Fletcher has all of his badges and is able to step into the hotseat in a pinch.

Beyond that, you can't expect any club to have a little black book full of world class managers on retainer. United just happen to have been victims of bad timing (nobody decent was available) or bad culture fit (Conte was deemed to have a conflicting footballing philosophy). Barcelona had to appoint Xavi due to the same issues.
Yeah sure the club is just a victim of unfortunate circumstances and there is nothing the board could have done to improve matters :houllier: Any competently run club would have seen this situation coming months ago and assessed a series of options in that time including long term appointments and short term interim appointments if required. We are not a competently run club

In reality a big part of the reason barca appointed xavi is because they are entirely broke

Irrational.

I wonder if they’ll give him the job full time if he flukes his way out of the CL group stage and gets a few positive results whilst regurgitating pre-written statements on MUTV and smiling with the enthusiasm of a North Korean news anchor.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
B License is the U16 one, that's also the third level of the UK coaching system you refer to, it's the first UEFA level, UEFA A License is the U18/reserves one. (UK Level 4 / UEFA 2)
You need a UEFA Pro License to manage a top-tier league on a permanent basis in Europe, also you need it to manage in the Champions League.
Interim basis is allowed, and iirc you have a grace period if you're working on attaining the license, but I seem to recall there was a manager that had to sit out a Champions League match a few years ago due to not having attained the license yet.

I also think Fletcher should be on Level 4 / UEFA B this season, as you say. So not sure he'd be allowed to take the reins for the Young Boys game.
He should be on level 4 at the very least but i'm gonna assume he must've been fast tracked to level 5 Uefa pro if they're gonna give him the role on a temporary basis. But Di Marzio is reporting that Laurent Blanc is also an option.

minoo-utd

We still early in the season IMO we should still aim not just to see the season ends but also have a good winning run of games and see after 10 games where we are exactly we still can go for top four and get through our group stage of the C.L that’s why yes it was late to sack Ole and also you can’t hire an ex player again as a care taker manager!
We should put all the money on the best option available which is Zidane and start big and quickly.

Matt851

Not sure why Fletcher would get the caretaker gig when there are plenty of proven managers out of work like Allardyce, Hodgson and (if we're desperate to have an ex player) Brucey or Hughesy
allardyce is the manager this board deserves

Tarrou

Why is it silly?

Its not like this happened out of the blue.

He's been wank from the start of the season.
And once we lost to Pool and City in a humiliating way...well, if they didn't start looking then, they really are incompetent.

I'm not saying we should see an appointment straight tomorrow, but if we go in the game against Chelsea with Fletcher then that's fecked up.
because they can't offer someone a job until Ole is fired, there's no way around that

and it takes a bit of time to sort out details, even if they've already agreed in principle

and even if it was all ready to go now, the club still wouldn't do it right away as it's terrible PR to overtly go behind your managers back

so appointing an interim means nothing in terms of what has been worked on in the background, or how prepared or ill-prepared the club is for it

stu_1992

What have they been doing for the last two months. It was obvious to anyone with half a brain ole was going to have to go. Particularly since the city game, plenty of time to have discussions with prospective managers but instead the board sat on their hands and hoped for the best
I'm not defending the board, but even if they had Zidane (for example) lined up to come in tomorrow we still may need an interim for Tuesday night as with moving and getting sorted here could still take time. I know we're horribly run but an interim for a week or two is not the end of the world.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Luckhurst started it talking about Fletcher! The guys I mentioned have more track record.
Giving the caretaker role to an inexperienced internal candidate is standard. Most clubs have done that.

Getting in has beens like Allardyce or Hodgson to offer them their first ever job at this level would be a completely unprecedented act of self-sabogage.

DickDastardly

because they can't offer someone a job until Ole is fired, there's no way around that

and it takes a bit of time to sort out details, even if they've already agreed in principle

and even if it was all ready to go now, the club still wouldn't do it right away as it's terrible PR to overtly go behind your managers back

so appointing an interim means nothing in terms of what has been worked on in the background, or how prepared or ill-prepared the club is for it
Fair enough.

I'm just saying....the last time this happened our interim manager overstayed his welcome as we see.

Let's not make the same mistake again.

Matt851

I'm not defending the board, but even if they had Zidane (for example) lined up to come in tomorrow we still may need an interim for Tuesday night as with moving and getting sorted here could still take time. I know we're horribly run but an interim for a week or two is not the end of the world.
Don't disagree with that to be fair. It's quite easy to see us failing to appoint someone for weeks though

Dante

Average bang
Yeah sure the club is just a victim of unfortunate circumstances and there is nothing the board could have done to improve matters :houllier: Any competently run club would have seen this situation coming months ago and assessed a series of options in that time including long term appointments and short term interim appointments if required. We are not a competently run club

In reality a big part of the reason barca appointed xavi is because they are entirely broke
How? By spending the summer spreading nasty rumours about Ten Hag in Amsterdam, or photoshopping anti-PSG tweets from Pochettino?

You can't force top managers to become available. Simply wishing it to be true doesn't mean it will. Employment availability is an ever-changing and unpredictable status.

RazorOz

Conte was appointed Spurs manager like 1 day after they sacked Nuno. Given that we had just been linked with Conte the week before, it would suggest they had sorted it out pretty quick and had him in place before Nuno was sacked, so it definitely is possible. Indeed we already did this, when Moyes was sacked, LvG was already lined up, same might have happened with LvG and Mourinho, but I forget now. If we've really not been sounding out managers for weeks then it's plain incompetence, though it's plain incompetence in the first place to end up in this position of just having an international break to sack the manager, then sacking him the game after the international break 3 days before the biggest game of our season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It seems like Fletcher and Carrick are gonna be involved in a interim set up led by someone like Lopategui or Blanc.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
This doesnt change much. Solskjaer was their perfect man, their puppit. People need to realise their plan is to find a similar interim manager, and pray to good he does okey so they can offer him a permanent contract. It wont turn around before the Glazers are gone.

Tarrou

Conte was appointed Spurs manager like 1 day after they sacked Nuno. Given that we had just been linked with Conte the week before, it would suggest they had sorted it out pretty quick and had him in place before Nuno was sacked, so it definitely is possible. Indeed we already did this, when Moyes was sacked, LvG was already lined up, same might have happened with LvG and Mourinho, but I forget now. If we've really not been sounding out managers for weeks then it's plain incompetence, though it's plain incompetence in the first place to end up in this position of just having an international break to sack the manager, then sacking him the game after the international break 3 days before the biggest game of our season.
yeah I know people can be lined up

but even in your example of Moyes/LVG, we appointed an interim

its just super standard and not a reason to come to any conclusion on what has been planned

roseguy64

That's a terrible plan.
I'd fire the man who came up with that ridiculous plan.

Hmmm. Spurs lost a match to us. Within days they had Conte in place.
CFC lost Frank Lampard and a few days later, they had Tuchel.
Do you see how top clubs act?
Are you confidently saying top clubs have never promoted internal staff for a couple games? Is that the hill you're going to die on?

Uniquim

He should be on level 4 at the very least but i'm gonna assume he must've been fast tracked to level 5 Uefa pro if they're gonna give him the role on a temporary basis. But Di Marzio is reporting that Laurent Blanc is also an option.
Yeah, there should be no problem taking the reins domestically. Alan Shearer among other is a precedent for the Premier League allowing that to happen. There was another coach to that was given a grace period to complete his badges. I think normally the limit is 12 weeks.

UEFA tend to be stricter. They've given out touchline bans in the past, including for Dundalks manager who was the one I was thinking of earlier. He was banned from having any function for a few europa league games. (also banned for Molde game)

Anywho, we'll see what happens. Not sure why Blanc would want the interim job unless he think it will become permanent, but he is struggling at his current club.
If it need be, we have other people at the club with a pro license if UEFA decides to be difficult. Think Carrick should have his by now, and that new set-piece coach is the youngest brit to ever acquire a Pro License apparently.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
...same might have happened with LvG and Mourinho...
According to some sources there was an agreement in place with Mourinho as early as around Christmas (during one of LVG's worst strings of results) that season.

At any rate, the transition was handled shabbily. LVG felt Woodward treated him like shit - which is probably true.

GMoore23

We're officially the worst run club on the planet. We just wasted a 2 week international break and now this. Did those clowns really think Ole was going to magically turn this around based on the absolute shit show we've had to endure this season.

roseguy64

Lopategui should be brought in if he's a option. Complete non brainer as far as i'm concerned. He has the potential to leave a team behind that would help someone like ten Hag.
Help someone like Ten Hag for when?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This post cannot be serious?
Why not?
Fletcher is a newbie and from what I understand, he was part of the coaching setup.
We've known for a while now that the coaching is been dreadful.
So, IF, Fletcher is part of the current coaching setup, he should not be the manager. He, Carrick, Mckenna - all should be kept away from coaching duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.