Interim manager discussion: Who replaces the interim interim manger (Carrick)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I can see him keeping the backroom staff and absolutely nothing changing
Keeping McKenna is gonna be key for him imo. Fletcher's gonna replace Solskjaer as the head coach and will obviously face the media. And I think we sill now hopefully see McKenna coach the team in a more expansive manner.
Does he though?
He started on his badges in the fall of 2020. Usually takes them a season to move up. Matic ie. Completed his B license last season, and is working on his A license this year.
The Pro license comes after that. I guess Fletcher could've been fast-tracked, but is there any source for him attaining the Pro License? I can't find it.
There's 5 levels and it seems Fletcher was completing level 3 last year at the club, which requires one to coach a junior team which he did with the u16s. He should be at level 4 + at the least and that's good enough for him to become the head coach in the professional game from what I've read online.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
This is how we got Ole.
Ole was appointed as interim manager until the end of the season. Reports seem to suggest that Fletcher will be in charge temporary. Somebody has to be in charge until we find a manager.

minoo-utd

Why repeat the same thing and waiting for different results ffs? We should not be near an ex player as care taker or a manager or anything unless they are proven successful elsewhere. This should be never considered. The big sack will be the time these clowns get out of the club entirely.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
If you are implying that he should be given the full time job - NO!
We have a team of Galactico class players, including the biggest Galactico of them all. We need an elite level manager.
The manager of the best club side of all time did a good job coming through from coaching the youth team.

Tarrou

It's not silly.
Before LVG was fired, Jose was already in place to take over.

It's been about 3 weeks since the LFC humiliation, and that was the time that the board should've been speaking to other managers.
They now have to pull the trigger and should already have a good idea of which man is likely to say "yes" and when he can join up with our squad.

This idea that "it's not easy to hire a manager" is nonsense.
Newcastle got bought by the Saudi's and within a week or 2, Bruce was fired and a week later a new manager was appointed (who now has Covid).
that was the end of the season, there were no more games to play

if we had a game 3 days later chances are a caretaker would be in charge, which is almost always the case, whilst they finalise the contact details

edit: even in your own example, a caretaker was put in place :lol:

Strats

As long as Ole is gone. His arrogance has been absolutely shocking during his tenure. Not overly excited about Fletcher, but hopefully as a former midfielder he's understood that its been fecking indefensible to start McFred no matter how bad they have been. I hope he'll give Donny a run of games and won't bench him as soon as he makes a mistake.

Also hope he has the balls to drop Maguire as captain.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
One improvement we can expect from Fletcher is less smiling.

stu_1992

What did people think was going to happen when Ole was sacked? We were always likely to need an interim even if that's only for 1 or 2 games as there's no way we have someone in place and ready to hit the ground running by Tuesday. It may as well be someone like like Fletcher. I'd rather that than Carrick or McKenna who should leave as well to really freshen things up. We were never likely to get an experienced coach as an interim if we're going to make an appointment in a few weeks. Maybe you could get someone like Blanc if there wasn't going to be anything until the end of the season, but he also already has a job.

I totally get people are burned by Ole being an interim and then hired full time, but they need to stop freaking out and give people the chance to sort things out.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What does it mean temporarily? If for a few games, it makes no difference and it can be Fletcher or even Ronaldo. If for a few months, I doubt Fletcher would take that role.
Fletcher and Carrick taking care of the team is a sad story.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Ole was appointed as interim manager until the end of the season. Reports seem to suggest that Fletcher will be in charge temporary. Somebody has to be in charge until we find a manager.
In a sane world yes. But Glazers...

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The problem is the coaching.

I don't see how replacing one existing United coach with another existing United coach is going to be a meaningful solution. I guess we'll have to hope for the new manager bounce to be enough.
Not sure you've grasped the situation mate. It's not till the summer. It's likely going to be a week at the most.

They will probably appoint someone after Chelsea

Jonty

It beggars belief that a multi national corporation (cos let's face it we are no longer a football club) has no succession plan in place. I work in financial regulation and we would hammer an institution that failed to have a plan in place to replace key personnel. Given that United are now run by bankers and corporate whores it is a sad indictment that there is no sign of any competent governance structure in place to allow the club to perform or god forbid to flourish

Brophs

The One and Only
Why would Fletcher get the managerial gig when Carrick, for example, has far more experience of coaching? It's one of those weird anomalies of football, like corners always being aimed at the keeper who's gone up in the last minutes of a game, despite the fact he maybe heads a ball a half dozen times a year and not the 6'4 centre back with a head like a bloody Saint Bernard.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Why would Fletcher get the managerial gig when Carrick, for example, has far more experience of coaching? It's one of those weird anomalies of football, like corners always being aimed at the keeper who's gone up in the last minutes of a game, despite the fact he maybe heads a ball a half dozen times a year and not the 6'4 centre back with a head like a bloody Saint Bernard.

Uniquim

Keeping McKenna is gonna be key for him imo. Fletcher's gonna replace Solskjaer as the head coach and will obviously face the media. And I think we sill now hopefully see McKenna coach the team in a more expansive

There's 5 levels and it seems Fletcher was completing level 3, last year at the club, which requires one to coach a junior team which he did with the u16s. He should be at level 4 + at the least and that's good enough for him to become the head coach in the professional game from what I've read online.
B License is the U16 one, that's also the third level of the UK coaching system you refer to, it's the first UEFA level, UEFA A License is the U18/reserves one. (UK Level 4 / UEFA 2)
You need a UEFA Pro License to manage a top-tier league on a permanent basis in Europe, also you need it to manage in the Champions League.
Interim basis is allowed, and iirc you have a grace period if you're working on attaining the license, but I seem to recall there was a manager that had to sit out a Champions League match a few years ago due to not having attained the license yet.

I also think Fletcher should be on Level 4 / UEFA B this season, as you say. So not sure he'd be allowed to take the reins for the Young Boys game.

Matt851

What did people think was going to happen when Ole was sacked? We were always likely to need an interim even if that's only for 1 or 2 games as there's no way we have someone in place and ready to hit the ground running by Tuesday. It may as well be someone like like Fletcher. I'd rather that than Carrick or McKenna who should leave as well to really freshen things up. We were never likely to get an experienced coach as an interim if we're going to make an appointment in a few weeks. Maybe you could get someone like Blanc if there wasn't going to be anything until the end of the season, but he also already has a job.

I totally get people are burned by Ole being an interim and then hired full time, but they need to stop freaking out and give people the chance to sort things out.
What have they been doing for the last two months. It was obvious to anyone with half a brain ole was going to have to go. Particularly since the city game, plenty of time to have discussions with prospective managers but instead the board sat on their hands and hoped for the best

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The manager of the best club side of all time did a good job coming through from coaching the youth team.
You are using Guardiola as the template?
My next door neighbour won the lottery. Does that mean I should pour my life savings into buying lottery tickets, based on my neighbour getting lucky?

What I'm saying is that Barca got lucky with Pep. That normally does not happen.
The method that almost always works is by hiring an elite level manager, to manage elite level players. This is a tried and proven method used by many clubs, including the reigning CL champions.

WPMUFC

They have no candidate lined up. If people think Fletch is only there for mid-week and chelsea you're having a laugh. If it was literally having to put a bum in the seat because they have to sign a new manager tomorrow/tuesday then it would just be carrick.

They've "put someone else in" because there are no candidates, it was all "Ole at the wheel" and now they are only just starting to look.

Flytan

If he's here past Wednesday it's a mistake.

And whoever is here after Wednesday better get rid of Carrick and McKenna. If Carrick wants to go coach U-7s or something fine, just get him away.

roseguy64

It beggars belief that a multi national corporation (cos let's face it we are no longer a football club) has no succession plan in place. I work in financial regulation and we would hammer an institution that failed to have a plan in place to replace key personnel. Given that United are now run by bankers and corporate whores it is a sad indictment that there is no sign of any competent governance structure in place to allow the club to perform or god forbid to flourish
What the hell are you talking about? Loads of football teams appoint interim managers. It's not an outrageous decision.

Dante

Average bang
But clearly there was a succession plan. Fletcher has all of his badges and is able to step into the hotseat in a pinch.

Beyond that, you can't expect any club to have a little black book full of world class managers on retainer. United just happen to have been victims of bad timing (nobody decent was available) or bad culture fit (Conte was deemed to have a conflicting footballing philosophy). Barcelona had to appoint Xavi due to the same issues.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
But clearly there was a succession plan. Fletcher has all of his badges and is able to step into the hotseat in a pinch.

Beyond that, you can't expect any club to have a little black book full of world class managers on retainer. United just happen to have been victims of bad timing (nobody decent was available) or bad culture fit (Conte was deemed to have a conflicting footballing philosophy). Barcelona had to appoint Xavi due to the same issues.
He began taking his badges a year ago. He's not there yet. Probably at least a year off.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
That's a terrible plan.
I'd fire the man who came up with that ridiculous plan.

Hmmm. Spurs lost a match to us. Within days they had Conte in place.
CFC lost Frank Lampard and a few days later, they had Tuchel.
Do you see how top clubs act?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
You are using Guardiola as the template?
My next door neighbour won the lottery. Does that mean I should pour my life savings into buying lottery tickets, based on my neighbour getting lucky?

What I'm saying is that Barca got lucky with Pep. That normally does not happen.
The method that almost always works is by hiring an elite level manager, to manage elite level players. This is a tried and proven method used by many clubs, including the reigning CL champions.
A guy who won the Champions League 3 times in a row got his job coming through after coaching the youth team.

hp88

We need to have a clear out once we have found a manager, too many formers players trying to hang onto the club whilst bringing zero input.

RedRover

Laughable.

If this happens, how those in charge have found themselves running the club is incredible.

redIndianDevil

3 wins in row and he’ll probably be given a 3 year contract
this is what I’m afraid of. His pals would begin to talk him up in the media and the fans would buy into the silly ex player becoming club manager wet dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.