Interim manager

GreatDane

Did you read what I said? I said the manager is not the problem. It’s the structure around him so getting rid of the manager and bringing another manager into this hell hole is like rearranging the chairs on the titanic.
Yes, you said that we tried an interim before and it didn't work.
Doesn't mean it won't work if we try it again.
We need a structure yes, but no point in digging our hole deeper while we wait for it.

GMoore23

I actually wouldn't mind that as long as it's definitely only to the end of season. It'd give him a chance to go out on better terms. There's no Ronaldo to feck the dressing room this time.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yes, you said that we tried an interim before and it didn't work.
Doesn't mean it won't work if we try it again.
We need a structure yes, but no point in digging our hole deeper while we wait for it.
So we just rinse and repeat with new managers every couple of years and start a “rebuild” and “squad refresh” every three years so the new manager is “given a shot” as infinitum everytime the current manager hits a rocky patch.

If you look at the injuries ETH has dealt with this season do you really think any other manager would do any better? Just rip it all up and start again because that’s the easy option right?

He’s basically been playing within his 4th and 5th choice centrebacks all season, had his first choice right back out all season and his second choice out half the time. All three left backs have been injured virtually all season.

What sort of foundation is that to work with? Pep loses Rhodri for a few games and loses two. Klopp had a similar situation a couple of years ago and went on a run of six losses in the middle of a horrendous few months of form.

Most fans wanted ten Hag and were delighted when we got him. They were pleased with last season and rightly so. Why write him off because the team is playing shit when the conditions are going to be no better for anyone else coming in.

I’ve got absolutely zero interest in us signing another vibes manager that’s going make these wankers smile again and get them motivated to play for a few months only to down tools once again when things aren’t quite as they want them to be.

The culture of change in this club needs to be that the manager is in control and no amount of sulking or downing tools is going to earn you a new manager who will humour you and give your belly a rub to get you motivated to hit a purple patch.

lsd

The Oracle
Please dont repeat the Ole mistake of signing him to a long term deal before the season is out... we fell off a cliff thanks to that idiotic decision.

Yeah we just finished 3rd and 2nd the best two seasons comfortably and lost the Europa cup final on penalties.

I'd take that cliff fall any day over what we have now

Blood Mage

If we can convince Flick to manage for us until the end of the season at least it might be worth pulling the plug now. He's the only name available who wouldn't be a disaster.

GreatDane

So we just rinse and repeat with new managers every couple of years and start a “rebuild” and “squad refresh” every three years so the new manager is “given a shot” as infinitum everytime the current manager hits a rocky patch.

If you look at the injuries ETH has dealt with this season do you really think any other manager would do any better? Just rip it all up and start again because that’s the easy option right?

He’s basically been playing within his 4th and 5th choice centrebacks all season, had his first choice right back out all season and his second choice out half the time. All three left backs have been injured virtually all season.

What sort of foundation is that to work with? Pep loses Rhodri for a few games and loses two. Klopp had a similar situation a couple of years ago and went on a run of six losses in the middle of a horrendous few months of form.

Most fans wanted ten Hag and were delighted when we got him. They were pleased with last season and rightly so. Why write him off because the team is playing shit when the conditions are going to be no better for anyone else coming in.

I’ve got absolutely zero interest in us signing another vibes manager that’s going make these wankers smile again and get them motivated to play for a few months only to down tools once again when things aren’t quite as they want them to be.

The culture of change in this club needs to be that the manager is in control and no amount of sulking or downing tools is going to earn you a new manager who will humour you and give your belly a rub to get you motivated to hit a purple patch.
Short answer, yes until we get it right.

He dealt with many injuries but he's been stubborn in dealing with them, where's our midfield for one? The lone dm isn't working and he keeps doing it. Subs at min 85 when we're losing 0-3? He doesn't react and looks and act defeated.

I don't want a "vibes manager", I just want a competent one.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why we all jumping on the ‘ETH out bandwagon? What’s gonna happen if we get a new manager? Absolutely nothing. They’ll be a new style of play, he’ll want another 400m to spend on new players and he’ll be stuck with the same players that are playing poorly now.

AneRu

If we can convince Flick to manage for us until the end of the season at least it might be worth pulling the plug now. He's the only name available who wouldn't be a disaster.
What's his record with regard to playing youth because I think some of the solutions, especially in midfield, fullback and Right Attack, don't exist within the first team squad. At least Flick played a 4-2-3-1, last time I watched his Bayern.

What we need is a brave and creativeanager willing to try out new things like playing youth or trying out players in different positions and doing the necessary to make the big players pay for careless performances. The only guy I know who can do this is LVG.

Flick can be a great short and long term solution because it's not too long ago that he had Bayern as an all conquering machine and he has modern elements like high pressing in his game. He has the pedigree for the job so getting him in could be a real coup provided he can stem the bleeding and make something out of this miserable campaign.

There is still a lot to fight for, Ten Hag looks done but even at our knees we are still within touching distance of a top 4 finish so we need to be proactive and try to rescue the season. This ETH regime is only going one way.

Stadjer

I actually wouldn't mind that as long as it's definitely only to the end of season. It'd give him a chance to go out on better terms. There's no Ronaldo to feck the dressing room this time.
Worked well for Chelsea right? Rehiring their sacked former manager and club legend to see out the season.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Why the need for an interim manager? Granted not every permanent manager wants to start midway through a season, but surely the intention should be to bring in a proper replacement in as soon as possible, that way they can immediately assess the squad, pinpoint shortcomings, and start working on their desired playstyle and system as soon as possible. Why throw away another season and wait for preseason for all that?
Most fancied managers are doing really well at their current club, I should wager most will want to see out the season and see whatever they've started through and leave said club on the up whilst keeping their own principles and integrity intact -I'm sure some would say OK to a summer appointment or no dice.

There's also the small issue of the horrendous state the squad and club are in at the moment. Fancied managers will lay down their terms and requirements and want assurances they'll be met, an interim knows the brief and is working to essentially shovel shit until we see concrete again instead the bog we're currently in.

Fixers aren't the devil and they can be a great segue from the pits to another proper go of things. What we shouldn't be doing is tanking an entire season in November. As bad as things seem, it can be salvaged.

CallyRed

Lopetegui would be my preference if we are to make a change. Thought he did well with Wolves, kept them up, similar challenge needed.

Baxquux

Is there any one who commands respect, is half-way competent and doesn't invariably play the most abject (hello Conte) football possible? I mean, 81 or not, SAF's still lucid, not showing signs of significant mental decline from what we can see in short interviews . Heck- plenty of big academics still publishing at that age, dirty Rupe was still heading his media empire etc, so it's not necessary an impediment . If we're not going down the Bielsa route, then,... give it Sir Alex till the end of the season might not be quite as deranged as it appears on the surface

GMoore23

Is there any one who commands respect, is half-way competent and doesn't invariably play the most abject (hello Conte) football possible? I mean, 81 or not, SAF's still lucid, not showing signs of significant mental decline from what we can see in short interviews . Heck- plenty of big academics still publishing at that age, dirty Rupe was still heading his media empire etc, so it's not necessary an impediment . If we're not going down the Bielsa route, then,... give it Sir Alex till the end of the season might not be quite as deranged as it appears on the surface
Jesus Wept.
He's an old man. 81 years old and just lost his wife.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Did you read what I said? I said the manager is not the problem. It’s the structure around him so getting rid of the manager and bringing another manager into this hell hole is like rearranging the chairs on the titanic.
For all my posts against ten Hag, I am actually him in, but his management has been appalling, there's no other word for it. If he were doing his bit, then I'd agree with your post, but he, as an individual/coach, is being beaten left, right and centre; poor line-ups; shocking tactics; in-game management in the pits; substitutions, motivation, it's just too much. He cannot be absolved of his own role in this demise of ours.

None of the above mentions preseason or transfers because it, in isolation, is calamitous and more concerning is he isn't identifying, or - better say - addressing anything. To not act is a dereliction of duty because he hasn't shown a single thing to say he can turn this around. If it were March, yeah have him try, but November? We should not continuously tank seasons.

Baxquux

Jesus Wept.
He's an old man. 81 years old and just lost his wife.
Jesus wept at our club too, every day. I dont think people fully appreciate just what a genuine clusterfeck it is, given all the various excuses being wheeled out for Ten Hag but also the reports that intermittently emerge around how entitled some of these players are. Who else are we getting that some of these cnuts actually respond to? Ancelotti, with his Madrid contract and Brazil lined up?

The only other way is to go fully scorched earth, sell half the senior paying staff for scraps and let the young players be moulded by some up and coming, astute but not fully established coach who doesn't care about reputations or ready names: we've seen the leeway ETH extends to certain players, and his (long known) reluctance to gamble fully on youth, even though they might be the only ones willing to take on board a high energy, movements grounded game, so what do we do?

croadyman

We literally did this last time and the players knew he was an interim and couldn’t be fecked any more than they were under Solskjaer.

We need new owners and a new footballing structure before we bother getting a new manager.
Yeah that's my worry with an interim too

Revaulx

ETH has started to look defeated. If he’s really just waiting to be sacked there’s little point in keeping him.

Even if one were readily available, there’s no point at all in appointing a permanent manager until the ownership issues are resolved and any structural changes (DoF) are in place.

So an interim then. A vibes merchant might lift the mood of the fans and improve results in the short term, but that might just make things harder for his successor. Given the ownership changes, and I’m assuming they will happen, I don’t think there’s too much danger that a short-term successful interim would be given the full-time gig.

A disciplinarian might be better for the club’s long-term health, but he would need to be ostentatiously backed by the club, i.e. coming down hard on dressing room malcontents. I just can’t see that happening with the Glazers still around.

I don’t often agree with @devilish, but he’s right about PL experience being essential for an interim. It’s got to be someone who can hit the ground running.

Who though? Potter would get crucified by the press, and can’t get his teams to score; surely one of any new guy’s main priorities. Conte isn’t a vibes merchant. Lopetegui?

Strelok

The only other way is to go fully scorched earth, sell half the senior paying staff for scraps and let the young players be moulded by some up and coming, astute but not fully established coach who doesn't care about reputations or ready names: we've seen the leeway ETH extends to certain players, and his (long known) reluctance to gamble fully on youth, even though they might be the only ones willing to take on board a high energy, movements grounded game, so what do we do?
That's pretty much what Arteta did at Arsenal back then. Sold all the senior big stars who didn't give a feck like Ozil, Aubameyang and played the youngsters. And they were utter crap for a while. The caf including me I think was laughing our arse off. No pain no gain I guess. Tbh now I'd love to see that here.

Imo if we could find a new proven manager just let him do that. Or even with ETH as long as we put a limit on his transfers like max 30m a piece or don't let him decide who to sign at all. Anyway given the state of the club imo no way we'd do that until we got SJR. Most likely we'll get another caretaker in the meanwhile I think.

joedirt87

Would have to get a vibes manager to turn this group around with what has been going on. any hard line authoritarian manager that would want to implement a system would quickly realize these players wont respond.

RedDevil@84

Our club admins will keep it simple and contact Ole if he is ok to take care till end of season. And there is no chance Ole says no when United comes calling.

joedirt87

Our club admins will keep it simple and contact Ole if he is ok to take care till end of season. And there is no chance Ole says no when United comes calling.
Ole at the wheel 2.0. Wouldn't shock me if they go for a former player.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This won't work because an interim manager doesn't have any authority with the players and the main problem with this team is attitude and absolute lack of application. We saw how it worked out for Rangnick - they performed according to his tactics in his first game against Palace for 30 minutes (good 30 minutes mind) and that was it.

The only way I can imagine an interim may work is if it's an ex player who has higher standing than them in the club's history and the personality to match that. I'm not sure Carrick could do that but I'd be surprised if he'd take the role on an interim basis. If this were just entertainment (and you can argue that it is) I'd be glued to the TV if Keane took an interim role here.

These players will either need to be told that Erik is not going anywhere and they better get used to it or a new manager is appointed who has enough authority to begin with and will be backed 100% in getting rid of every player he wants out of the club.

204Red

Yeah we just finished 3rd and 2nd the best two seasons comfortably and lost the Europa cup final on penalties.

I'd take that cliff fall any day over what we have now
Not the during the season he took over

we started losing and crashed out of CL qualification the second he was extended.

Now, I'm not as down on Ole as many on here, but not seeing him finish out that initial season before signing him to a long term deal was a huge mistake

lsd

The Oracle
Not the during the season he took over

we started losing and crashed out of CL qualification the second he was extended.

Now, I'm not as down on Ole as many on here, but not seeing him finish out that initial season before signing him to a long term deal was a huge mistake

I think that was more we totally ran out of gas as the players were nowhere near fit enough under Jose

ti vu

I think that was more we totally ran out of gas as the players were nowhere near fit enough under Jose
Which means Ole type of interim won't help this team which is currently wrecked after the insane amount of games including World Cup and international games. We're facing an injury crisis for a reason.

Our biggest defeat under Mourinho was 0-4 against Conte Chelsea. That squad at bad as it was toward the end of Mourinho time ain't total pushover even at their sorriest state, unlike this squad scarred with humiliating defeats. This freaking cat is running out of lives for bounce back. Let the captain sink with its ship and perhaps the new sporting director can start better next season with a blank plate.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
New idea - Manager of the Month.

We bring in a new manager on the 1st day of every month.

Applicants apply in advance and we conduct a National Lottery style draw allocating each month to a new manager. The lucky fellows who get the Summer months and January get to buy whatever players they want.

On the last day of the month they get sacked and have to leave with the entire backroom staff.

It should make a cracking Amazon series and help us reach our goals - to turnover £1bn in each financial year.

Dve

It’ll be Ole.
The funny thing is, if the team do not improve in the weeks or months to come, and Ten Hag eventually get sacked, Ole would probably be the best one of come in and turn it around in the short term. The immediate impact he had last time, must be close to a world record.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I got a bit of stick a few weeks back for suggesting him but realistically someone like Lopetegui would be in the frame.

Was interviewed in the batch last time with guys like Pochettino and Luis Enrique who are currently in jobs.

Managed big sides like Porto and Real Madrid and did a good job at Wolves last season so won't need time to adapt to prem.

Pretty defensive minded but would get some structure back before you have another reset in the summer when Ratcliffe will have more of a say.

Failing that get Conte in to cause an epic meltdown....

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I am angry with the players as much as you do. However is it entirely their fault though. How many of our players had just 1-2 great first season in them only for their form to go haywire soon afterwards? On top of my head I can think of a few including Rojo and Martial (LVG) and, Pogba and Bailly (Mou), Bruno and Maguire (Ole). It still early days but Martinez, Malacia, Casemiro and co seem going to that route. Had anyone bothered why that's happening? Is it them downing tools? Or is it the case that things (training etc) isn't working well at United and having been working well for quite a while? How long does it take to sort the fitness team? How long does it take to have a decent data analyst team/scouting team that can make us less dependent on the manager's shopping list?
I mean, every example player there have done absolutely nothing post United and their fitness has been shocking. Martial on loan was useless, Maguire was set to be sold, so Bruno is about the only one potentially worth his salt in that list. I don't think it's entirely their fault, but the list of players not worthy of the shirt is as long as your arm in the last decade.

I think there's no real analysis done as to what certain players would add to our squad, because Antony and Hojlund are the first attacking players we've bought that are pressers. Yet supposedly, that's where we we were heading in terms of style. Or maybe they think the one or two players will do enough and we can coach the rest of them, which never seems to be the case.

leeroy221

I get why ETH is getting all the flack but what are his assistants doing? Surely they should also be hands on with the training? SM has experience, why are we not seeing more of him?
If we get rid of ETH, do we go with an upcomer like Mckenna? Give him time to lay the foundations for the next phase and blood youngsters? Carrick?
I don't really see anyone else who could lead the club forward apart from the usual names like Conte who would be here for 2 years and then we start all over again.