oskarutd

Squad named for Algarve

Tuesday, 27 January 2009.

The Algarve Tournament
Portugal, England, France, Israel
21-24 February 2009
Albufeira, Ferreiras, Lagoa, Lagos and Silves in Portugal
Click here for competition details

England U17 Head Coach John Peacock has named an 18-man squad for the trip to Portugal for the Algarve Tournament next month.

The competition will act as preparation for March's Elite Round of qualifying for the European U17 Championship in Hungary, which sees them competing with Serbia, Hungary and Portugal for a place in this summer's Finals in Germany.

There will be something of a dress rehearsal for one of those games too, as the Algarve Tournament will pit the Young Lions against opposition from hosts Portugal, as well as games with France and Israel.

Peacock's squad contains four new faces at U17 level, with striker Benik Afobe, defender Louis Laing (pictured) and goalkeeper Sam Johnstone all making the step up from the U16 squad, whilst Liverpool midfielder Thomas Ince is called up for the first time.

The Young Lions face Portugal in their first game in Albufeira on Saturday 21 February, before taking on France in Lagos the following day. The final game is with Israel in Ferreiras on Tuesday 24 February.

The Squad

Player
Club

Benik Afobe
Arsenal

Lateef Elford-Alliyu
West Bromwich Albion

Jose Baxter
Everton

Ahmad Benali
Manchester City

John Bostock
Tottenham Hotspur

Luke Freeman
Arsenal

Emmanuel Frimpong
Arsenal

Ezekiel Fryers
Manchester United

Gary Gardner
Aston Villa

Thomas Ince
Liverpool

Sam Johnstone
Manchester United

Louis Laing
Sunderland

Keanu Marsh Brown
Fulham

Eddie Oshodi
Watford

Tom Parkes
Leicester City

Jamie Reckord
Wolverhampton Wanderers

Jed Steer
Norwich City

Ryan Tunnicliffe
Manchester United

link

oskarutd

Squad named for Spain

Thursday, 22 January 2009.

England v Spain
U19 International Friendly
7.00pm, Tuesday 10 February 2009
Fitness First Stadium, AFC Bournemouth
Ticket Hotline: 01202 726338
Tickets £3 in advance (£5 on gate) adults and £1 children and concessions
Group Booking Form
Charter Standard Booking Form

England U19 Head Coach Brian Eastick has named his squad for next month's friendly fixture against Spain in Bournemouth.

The Young Lions were last in action before Christmas when they beat Germany in Colchester and many of the players who were on show in that game are involved again, along with a few new faces.

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere's (left) form with the U17 team and for the Gunners has seen him included in the U19s for the first time, so he will be looking to pick up his first cap with this age group.

There are also first-time call-ups for Leeds United defender Aidan White, Liverpool centre-back Martin Kelly, Manchester City midfielder Andrew Tutte and Sunderland striker Martyn Waghorn.

Leicester City forward Ashley Chambers is also included in the squad, after previously representing England at U16, U17 and U18 levels.

The Squad

Player
Club

Henri Lansbury
Arsenal

Jack Wilshere
Arsenal

Nathan Delfouneso
Aston Villa

Nathan Baker
Aston Villa

Jack Rodwell
Everton

Daniel Gosling
Everton

Alex Smithies
Huddersfield Town

Aidan White
Leeds United

Ashley Chambers
Leicester City

Joe Mattock
Leicester City

Martin Kelly
Liverpool

Andrew Tutte
Manchester City

Kieran Trippier
Manchester City

Danny Drinkwater
Manchester United

Jason Steele
Middlesbrough

Martyn Waghorn
Sunderland

Jordan Spence
West Ham United

Gavin Hoyte
Watford (on loan from Arsenal)

Einar15

Danny Welbeck selected for England U21s to play against Ecuador 13th feb. A fantastic achievement for such a young player.
Frazier Campbell and Tom Heaton are also in the squad

Squad named for Ecuador

Tuesday, 03 February 2009.

England v Ecuador
Under-21 International Friendly
8pm (GMT), Tuesday 10 February 2009
La Rosaleda, Malaga CF
Live on Setanta Sports

Stuart Pearce has named a 22-man squad to face Ecuador next week, including uncapped duo Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United) and Mark Davies (Bolton Wanderers) alongside more experienced players from the team which has qualified for this summer's European U21 Championship.

Speaking about the selections, Head Coach Pearce said: "We are focused solely on building up to the Championship in the summer. There are 30-odd players who have got every opportunity of being in the final 23 and a lot of the players need game time to prove to me that they deserve to be there.

"As we saw from the last Championship, there are also players who come with a late run to get into the squad. In this squad, we are having a look at Danny Welbeck who has done well in the U19s and broken into the team at Old Trafford which is no mean feat.

"We've also brought in Mark Davies (pictured above) from Bolton. Franco Baldini saw him at the weekend and thought he was outstanding and he has played very well on loan at Leicester earlier in the season.

"Ecuador are going to bring a strong squad with a lot of senior experience. It will be a big learning curve for our players to face opposition from outside Europe and it will be great experience for them ahead of the summer."

Watford goalkeeper Scott Loach has also been called into the squad to replace the injured Joe Lewis.

The UEFA European U21 Championship will be held in Sweden in June. England have been drawn to play Finland, Spain and Germany in the group stage of the competition.

The Squad

Tom Heaton -Cardiff City (Loan from Man Utd)

Scott Loach - Watford

Ryan Bertrand - Norwich City (Loan from Chelsea)

Danny Fox - Coventry City

Michael Mancienne - Chelsea

Kyle Naughton - Sheffield United

Nedum Onuoha - Manchester City

Micah Richards - Manchester City

Richard Stearman - Wolverhampton Wanderers

Steven Taylor - Newcastle United

Lee Cattermole - Wigan Athletic

Jack CorkWatford - (Loan from Chelsea)

Mark Davies - Bolton Wanderers

Tom Huddlestone - Tottenham Hotspur

Adam Johnson - Middlesbrough

Michael Kightly - Wolverhampton Wanderers

Aaron Lennon - Tottenham Hotspur

James Milner - Aston Villa

Jamie O'Hara - Tottenham Hotspur

Fraizer Campbell - Tottenham Hotspur (Loan from Man Utd)

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake - Wolverhampton Wanderers

Daniel Welbeck - Manchester United

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Well done, Danny. He's almost 5 years younger than the likes of Taylor, Kightly and Milner and well over a year younger than the second youngest member of the squad.

Skelter

Internet GYPO
Nice, Welbeck and Campbell up front. Is it televised?

lysglimt

Scout
Especially impressive considering that Welbeck is close to the only player in the team not playing regularly. Shows how much faith they have in the lad

rocks13

Craig Cathcart and Corry Evans are both in the Northern Ireland squad for next week's game with Wales.

I'm actually quite surprised Cathcart hasn't made the senior squad yet as he seems to be doing well at Plymouth.

cj_sparky

Great to see our young lads getting recognized at any level on the international stage.

Especially Welbeck, making the step up from the England U19's to the 21's. It is a credit to the potential that the lad has!

cj_sparky

I reckon if Danny filled out a bit, not as much as Heskey obviously. That he would be a cracking target man and quite a force in the air.

prateik

its an U21 squad and not even a competitive game ..
why the feck are
James Milner
Tom Huddlestone
Steven Taylor
Tom Heaton
Jamie O'Hara

even in the squad ..

LouisRocca

Great to see Welbeck in the U21squad. This boy has fantastic potential. It's also good reading to see all the forwards are boys that have come trough our youth system. We've had a problem getting forwards trough, but now our problems seems to be having good enough defensiv players(in our youth)

I also saw that Josh King had withdrawn from the Norwegian U17 squad for the Tournament in La Manga next week. Does anyone know if he's injured again, or is it just because he's just returned from injury?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I reckon if Danny filled out a bit, not as much as Heskey obviously. That he would be a cracking target man and quite a force in the air.
He's already filled out a lot just since last season. I don't think there's any doubt that he's gonna develop into a very powerfully built young man. I think he'll eventually end up with a build similar to Rio, or even Ronaldo.

cj_sparky

He's already filled out a lot just since last season. I don't think there's any doubt that he's gonna develop into a very powerfully built young man. I think he'll eventually end up with a build similar to Rio, or even Ronaldo.
I totally agree, he'll fill out more as he matures into a man and I think he'll be immense with added strength + size. Although the way he rode challenges in the game with Tottenham, only for Gunter to make a last ditch tackle as he looked to belt one in the net....showed he is pretty solid already.

PS18

Just doing some research for an article and noticed we've got three players in Northern Ireland's U18 squad for a tournament in Gran Canaria this week - Conor Devlin, John Gorman and, most interestingly, Oliver Norwood?

http://www.irishfa.com/the-ifa/news/4562/u18-boys-all-set-for-gran-canaria-tournament/

Edit: Turns out the tournament was called off, or NI pulled out - due to the weather conditions preventing them travelling anyway. Still quite interesting.

Decotron

Just doing some research for an article and noticed we've got three players in Northern Ireland's U18 squad for a tournament in Gran Canaria this week - Conor Devlin, John Gorman and, most interestingly, Oliver Norwood?

http://www.irishfa.com/the-ifa/news/4562/u18-boys-all-set-for-gran-canaria-tournament/

Edit: Turns out the tournament was called off, or NI pulled out - due to the weather conditions preventing them travelling anyway. Still quite interesting.
I thought Norwood was English ?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Name: John Cofie
DOB: 21/01/93
Club: Manchester United
Position: Forward

Manchester United's tall, pacy forward receives his first call-up for the U16s and will be hoping to make an instant impace in Germany. Surprisingly, prefers tea.

Name: William Keane
DOB: 11/01/93
Position: Forward

Like his United team-mate, John Cofie, Keane will also be hoping to shine in Hoffenheim. Keane is a good passer of the ball and composed in possession

Name: Tom Thorpe
DOB: 13/01/93
Position: Defender

A tall and athletic central defender. A right-footed player, he is assured on the ball and a good passer out of defence as well as offering an aerial threat in the opposing box.

Profiles from thefa.com. They haven't put up Ra'vel's yet.

Name Changed

weso26
I thought John Cofie was a mix of Ghanian and German? Was I imagining things or did I read that wrong before?

jb8521

I thought John Cofie was a mix of Ghanian and German? Was I imagining things or did I read that wrong before?
He is but has lived in England for years and qualifies to play for England. Think ge only lived in Germany not actually from there

Virtuoso

Here's an article about Danny Welbeck's call up to the England U21 squad -

Welbeck rewarded with England U21 call

Manchester United FC striker Danny Welbeck will be given a chance to stake his claim for a place in the England squad at this summer's UEFA European Under-21 Championship after being called up for the first time for next Tuesday's friendly against Ecuador in Malaga.

Eye-catching strike
The 18-year-old was part of the England side that reached the final of the 2007 UEFA European U17 Championship and has also represented England at U19 level. He steps up to the U21s after breaking into the United team this season. He made his debut in a League Cup win against Middlesbrough FC on 23 September, before catching the eye by crashing in his first senior goal from distance in a 5-0 rout of Stoke City FC in the Premier League on 15 November.

'Done well'
Welbeck scored again in a 3-0 FA Cup victory at Southampton FC on 4 January, and though used sparingly by Sir Alex Ferguson, he has impressed England U21 manager Stuart Pearce. "As we saw from the last championship, there are also players who come with a late run to get into the squad," he said. "In this squad, we are having a look at Danny Welbeck who has done well in the U19s and broken into the team at Old Trafford, which is no mean feat."

'Bigger things'
The teenager was born in Manchester and signed for United's academy two years ago. With the forward having begun to make his mark at Old Trafford, team-mate Michael Carrick is expecting Welbeck to figure prominently in the years ahead. "Danny's got bags of ability and a great temperament so he's suited to Manchester United," Carrick said. "He won't get carried away and will go on to achieve bigger things."

'Hungry for more'
Welbeck himself added of his seven senior outings so far: "It's made me hungry for more. Playing with these players in the first team – there's no better experience. I'm willing to learn and improve as much as I can." Welbeck is joined in the England U21 squad by midfielder Mark Davies, who gets the nod after winning plaudits for his debut for Bolton Wanderers FC in Saturday's 3-2 success against Tottenham Hotspur FC. With Watford FC goalkeeper Scott Loach also looking to earn his first cap, the Ecuador match will be a timely opportunity for Pearce and his young players alike.
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under21/news/kind=1/newsid=797766.html

PS18

Why is Evans not good enough for the Under-21s? 4 caps already and some decent performances suggest otherwise.