International call ups

PS18

He either meant Macheda or he was telling us Possebon was with the Brazil under age team.
Must be a mistake.
Macheda's not with either of the Italy sides who have games. Possebon does have an Italian passport so quite possibly has Italian parentage/grandparentage, so it's not entirely implausible. Don't think he's been called up by Brazil.

jb8521

Any idea why Tunnicliffe was pulled out of the England under 17s. I presumed he got injured but he played for the academy today

PS18

I'm not sure they really have regular U18/19 games over in South America, seems to be very much focused on U17 and U20. Don't see why he'd qualify for the U18/19s unless it was a situation like the one that allows Heaton, Blake etc to still play for the U21s (under 21 at the start of the qualifying campaign etc).

Anyway, I've double-checked with an acquaintance in Brazil and the only Brazilian age-group side in action this international break is the U15s.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I'm not sure they really have regular U18/19 games over in South America, seems to be very much focused on U17 and U20. Don't see why he'd qualify for the U18/19s unless it was a situation like the one that allows Heaton, Blake etc to still play for the U21s (under 21 at the start of the qualifying campaign etc).

Anyway, I've double-checked with an acquaintance in Brazil and the only Brazilian age-group side in action this international break is the U15s.
So then he is with Italy?

PS18

Well no, like I said originally, there's no sign of him in their squads.

Virtuoso

I was at Loftus Road tonight for the England U20s vs Italy U20s. England won 2-0 with goals from Ciaran Clark and Daniel Sturridge. Ben Amos came on at half time, made one spectacular save where he even managed to catch the ball very cleanly - made it look easy. He was also composed with the ball at his feet and claimed a few crosses very well, solid half on his part.

PS18

Strangely listed as a midfielder there. Good to see him called up anyway, doesn't miss any reserve games either.

Decotron

I was at Loftus Road tonight for the England U20s vs Italy U20s. England won 2-0 with goals from Ciaran Clark and Daniel Sturridge. Ben Amos came on at half time, made one spectacular save where he even managed to catch the ball very cleanly - made it look easy. He was also composed with the ball at his feet and claimed a few crosses very well, solid half on his part.

What dya make of Sturridge live? I rate him v highly.

Virtuoso

Strangely listed as a midfielder there. Good to see him called up anyway, doesn't miss any reserve games either.
Yeah, the FIGC site always makes a mess of positions - I'm sure Sansone is a midfielder and not a forward too.

Virtuoso

What dya make of Sturridge live? I rate him v highly.
Sturridge was very good, the Italian defenders couldn't live with him a lot of the time. He's got great pace but is really talented technically too. To be honest though, Italy had more possession but England looked more dangerous with less because of players with the pace and trickery of Sturridge, Sinclair, Gibbs and then Stanislas in the second half.

jb8521

Tom Thorpe captained England under 16s in their 3rd game in the Montaigu tournament which they won 3-0. Will Keane scored Englands first goal in the 3-1 win against UAE on Thursday.

Gabe

Name: John Cofie
DOB: 21/01/93
Club: Manchester United
Position: Forward

Manchester United's tall, pacy forward receives his first call-up for the U16s and will be hoping to make an instant impace in Germany. Surprisingly, prefers tea.

Profiles from thefa.com. They haven't put up Ra'vel's yet.
Cofie does look a strong athlete.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Think Cofie's injured. Morrison and Cofie both withdrew from the England squad. Morrison went to Italy with the u18s, Cofie didn't by the look of things.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
What kind of injury, PS? Will he be back for pre-season?

PS18

It's a knee injury, don't know any more than that. Haven't heard that it's a really long-term one and we're at the stage now where injuries that rule players out for the season aren't necessarily all that serious so fingers crossed it's just a strain or slight ligament damage.

PS18

He was getting the odd chance here and there, might well have got a few more at the tail end of the season.

oskarutd

Corry Evans and Oliver Norwood played for Northen Irelands B match against Scotland yesterday.
Corry started, Norwood almost scored from a free kick after coming on as subsitute.

link.

PS18

Norwood really being fast-tracked it seems. They were very impressed with him on the OWC forums.

PS18

Elsewhere - Ryan Tunnicliffe (wearing #14) played the last 12 minutes for England U17s in their U17 European Championship opener against the Dutch. Finished 1-1 thanks to a goal from Luke Garbutt, seems like they really should have won it.

Sam Johnstone (squad #13) was an unused sub.

PS18

Think that's his first call-up.

Edit: In fact it definitely is, the article says so :D

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Elsewhere - Ryan Tunnicliffe (wearing #14) played the last 12 minutes for England U17s in their U17 European Championship opener against the Dutch. Finished 1-1 thanks to a goal from Luke Garbutt, seems like they really should have won it.

Sam Johnstone (squad #13) was an unused sub.
That twatting England U17 took from Germany, Tunnicliffe played and was booked. Also Johnstone on the bench, unused as far as I know. No source but I saw this somewhere.

PS18

Yep, all true. They lost 4-0.

Tunnicliffe picked up an injury and missed today's final group game vs Turkey. Johnstone started, England lost 1-0 and finish fourth in their group. Out of the tournament, no place at the U17 World Cup either.

PS18

Just looking around seeing if we have anyone else involved in the Euro U19 elite round games coming up - Adem Ljajic has scored in both Serbia's games so far, they'll qualify with a win in their last game.

http://www.fotball.no/t2.aspx?p=53176&cat=51835&x=1&a=249353 - not sure if this means Eikrem is involved or not? (useless internet translation suggests forfall means maturity or something similar, so he's maybe being considered an U20 now?).

Doogie

Yes, Eikrem is in the squad. The first list is players that have been in the squad and the 'Nye spillere i troppen' stands for new players in the squad.

PS18

Might have misheard but I think Ole just said (at the Player Awards) on MUTV that Corry Evans is in the full Northern Ireland squad for their game with Italy next month. Impressive if true.