International call ups

Name Changed

weso26
Decent youngster, but nowhere near good enough (yet) for the senior squad or indeed, the Under-21s.

Being shunted out of position at centre-back but I guess that's what De Laet is for.
He's not being picked for Italy. It's Northern Ireland and will all due respect to them, they haven't got a massive pool to choose from. He is getting his game in the Championship which cannot be said for other players in the squad.

jb8521

He's not being picked for Italy. It's Northern Ireland and will all due respect to them, they haven't got a massive pool to choose from. He is getting his game in the Championship which cannot be said for other players in the squad.
I think hes talking about Corry Evans not Cathcart

PS18

Couple of interviews with our lads on thefa.com:

A chance to impress

Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck is relishing his opportunity with England’s Under-21s as the team prepares to take on Ecuador in Malaga on Tuesday night.

The 18-year-old has made seven appearances for the Old Trafford giants, scoring twice, which has earned him his first call-up to Stuart Pearce’s squad.

Having already represented England at all levels from U16s to U19s, Welbeck is no stranger to the international scene. But while he acknowledges that he is always learning, the ambitious teenager has one eye on a place in the England team for the UEFA European Championship Finals in June.

"It’s a nice place and I’m enjoying the experience," Welbeck told TheFA.com. "The players have been very welcoming too, so I’m really looking forward to the game now.

"I got a text from my friend Nicky Joseph at United saying I’m in the Under-21s and had to check it up on TheFA.com first, but was really happy to get called up. To get a call to the Under-21s is a great honour and I’m just looking forward to pushing on.

He said: "I’ve just been playing and enjoying my football and whenever I get called up to any team I just give it my best shot and do as well as I can.

"The players here are playing in the Premier League and the Championship every week, so you can tell there’s a step up from the U19s. It’s a massive difference and the quality of the players in training has been good. I'm just hoping I can do well at this level."

Welbeck has already shown he has the potential. A goal of the month contender to call his first-ever strike for United, in their Premier League victory over Stoke City, is just one highlight of a good first season of first- team football.

Dimitar Berbatov congratulates Welbeck on his goal against Southampton.Another goal in The FA Cup against Southampton followed to help put him in contention for an England Under-21s berth, but it’s the day-to-day training alongside the likes of Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, Dimitar Berbatov and his boyhood idol Ryan Giggs that has Welbeck gleaming.

"It’s unbelievable training with players like that. I could even say that training is harder than a game sometimes. But to be learning from them is great, there’s no better place to be. I think Manchester United is the best club to be at," he added.

"It’s helped me a lot. If I wasn’t at United playing a few games, I don’t know where I would be or at what stage I’d be at or what level. But just getting a few games here and there for the best club in the world has helped me get to this level for England.

"I didn’t think I’d be playing as much as I have. At the start of the season I was injured and was just focused on getting back and fit."

Welbeck has already experienced major Finals with England’s U17s, having featured in their European and World Championship campaigns of 2007.

Now, with an international tournament for the Under-21s around the corner, Welbeck hopes he can use this opportunity in Southern Spain to stake a claim for Sweden, particularly after missing out on the U19s Euros last summer through injury.

"It’s a great experience. The first team are doing that week in week out, travelling to different places abroad to play in Europe. It’s good to learn how to relax and eat the right things while you are away and being away with the England teams has helped my development a lot.

"I’m just trying my best to get into the squad, but it’s up to the manager. It would be a real honour and a privilege to play for England in the Finals and I’d just try to grasp the opportunity with both hands."

http://www.thefa.com/England/U21s/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2009/02/EnglandU21_DannyWelbeck.htm
Danny's delight

England U19 ace Danny Drinkwater is hoping to continue his international adventure on Tuesday evening, when he is part of the Young Lions team to take on Spain at Dean Court.

The Manchester United midfielder has been involved with Brian Eastick's squad all season after making his first international breakthrough with the U18 side last season.

After helping the U19s to progress to the next stage of qualification for the European Championship and playing a part in November's friendly win against Germany in Colchester, he is now looking forward to pitting his wits against the Spanish who have one of the best records in the world at international youth football.

“We’re expecting Spain to be very good technically, with a pure football ethic, and they always have a few flair players as well so we’ve just got to make sure we judge them right and perform,” said Drinkwater, now 18.

“Germany was a good game for us last time, because we were up against a different opposition compared to the other teams we played in the Euros.

“Germany were technically very good, so it was a decent game and I enjoyed it."

A combative player, who can also provide goals from midfield, Manchester-born Danny has been with his hometown club United for over ten years but admits that the buzz of representing England takes some beating.

“Just putting on the kit is an honour and to make your family proud is great,” he admitted.

“It’s always an honour just playing for your country."

http://www.thefa.com/England/U19s/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/danny_drinkwater_preview.htm

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Danny Drinkwater played the full 90 as the u19s lost 3-0 to Spain.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Welbeck said his friend was "Nicky Joseph" - surely he means "Nicky Ajose"?
Talking of Ajose.. He asked Welbeck to check out the site to see that he had been picked? Surely Danny must have got a call from Pearce beforehand.. Anyway that also led me to wonder whether any of these youth players of ours would be registered on here..

oskarutd

Talking of Ajose.. He asked Welbeck to check out the site to see that he had been picked? Surely Danny must have got a cal from Pearce beforehand.. Anyway that also led me to wonder whether any of these youth players of ours would be registered on here..
Many of them read this forum....

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Well, because I have been asked by some of them if I am this guy who writes about them on Redcafe.
Well.. Tell us more.. It cannot hurt to tell us names.. its not like we can hunt them down and do anything.. I am not asking for the Posters names just the names of the players that lurk around..

I am only asking because next time I will think thrice before talking them down haha

oskarutd

Well.. Tell us more.. It cannot hurt to tell us names.. its not like we can hunt them down and do anything.. I am not asking for the Posters names just the names of the players that lurk around..

I am only asking because next time I will think thrice before talking them down haha
Well, it´s some youth players at least. I am not going to name them unless I have permission from them.
They don´t need to be registered to see what we write....

Good to think before we critisize. There is always someone reading who might be knowing them or even thos we critisize.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Well, it´s some youth players at least. I am not going to name them unless I have permission from them.
They don´t need to be registered to see what we write....

Good to think before we critisize. There is always someone reading who might be knowing them or even thos we critisize.
Yeah I know they can read without registration.. Just figured a few (atleast) will be members.. It definitely wouldn't hurt to name the players who read the site though.. Anyway I can totally understand what you mean.. Privacy is something that cannot be messed around with..

Also I was joking about the criticism bit..

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
well I hope Welbeck doesn't read this place. Broken into the first team at 17/18 and a lot of twats give him some unjust criticism.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
That must have been weird. What made them think you were?
They have hired private detectives, and are systematically visiting Caf members til they find the one they want and 'sort' him.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
My name and interest in United youth football....
But your in Iceland right? how did they ask you? Or was it when you came down to watch a couple of youth matches?

Or are you one of them just winding me up? for a laugh

oskarutd

But your in Iceland right? how did they ask you? Or was it when you came down to watch a couple of youth matches?

Or are you one of them just winding me up? for a laugh
hehehehehe
I am not one of them, too old.
I talk to some of them in the virtial world

lysglimt

Scout
You could of course always argue that if a United-youngster can't take the criticism he gets from Red Cafe (and I have never seen anything too bad) - he won't make it anyway :)

If you are on the verge of the first-team of Manchester United - I have a feeling you are mentally VERY strong

oskarutd

You could of course always argue that if a United-youngster can't take the criticism he gets from Red Cafe (and I have never seen anything too bad) - he won't make it anyway :)

If you are on the verge of the first-team of Manchester United - I have a feeling you are mentally VERY strong
There has been some bad criticism in the past on youngsters who played a handful of Academy games. Also some well overboard in terms of glorifying 15, 16, 17 years olds. Actually a seasoned proffessional cannot always take very bad criticism (Roy Keane is perhaps an example).
Do you think that the criticism on Fletcher has helped him played better through the years or that it is a testament to him to be here still after all the criticism he got?

LouisRocca

Magnus Wolff Eikrem is in the Norway U19 squad for the away friendly vs Italy on March 13th. Could be an interesting match if Petrucci and Macheda are picked for the Italysquad.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
There has been some bad criticism in the past on youngsters who played a handful of Academy games. Also some well overboard in terms of glorifying 15, 16, 17 years olds. Actually a seasoned proffessional cannot always take very bad criticism (Roy Keane is perhaps an example).
Do you think that the criticism on Fletcher has helped him played better through the years or that it is a testament to him to be here still after all the criticism he got?
Good points. I have a feeling that Gill for example, although not amazing, gets too much stick for his performances at times too just from the current academy/reserve team.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
England U21 have a few game coming up as well.. Will be nice to see Campbell, Welbeck get more international exposure..

They play Norway Away on the 27th & play France at Nottingham Forest FC's ground on the 31st of March..

PS18

Not sure if Welbeck will play in those, with the U19 game being on the 25th and that taking priority with their elite qualifying round games coming up. Never know though.

Tunnicliffe and Johnstone are in the U17 squad for their elite round too.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Drinkwater stars for England

The international break isn't just for established stars - United have a clutch of up-and-coming youngsters looking to make their mark on the world stage.

Reserves midfielder Danny Drinkwater shone for England's Under-19s on Wednesday night, narrowly missing out on giving his national team victory in a 0-0 draw against a resolute Czech Republic team.

The Manchester-born youngster was desperately unlucky not to break the deadlock at Walsall's Banks' Stadium on the hour mark, his excellent free-kick from the edge of the area hitting the bar.

Ten minutes later he fizzed a shot, this time with his left foot, narrowly wide of the post.

Drinkwater has been impressive all season in United's Reserves, and his recognition at international level is well-deserved.

Danny Welbeck, who had also been included in the England U19s squad, did not play.

www.manutd.com

A bit surprised that Welbeck didn't play. The U21s don't play France until Tuesday.

Virtuoso

I'm thinking of going to the England U20s match against Italy U20s at Loftus Road next Tuesday night, Ben Amos and Tom Cleverley have been called up by England. Does anyone know if Federico Macheda has been called up by Italy U20s? I know Davide Petrucci's out injured so won't be in the squad which is a shame, but I have a feeling that Macheda might be in the squad as Italy U19s failed to qualify for the Euros this summer and now a lot of them have been drafted into the U20s side in preparation for the U20s World Cup later this year.

PS18

He's not. I was checking earlier because MUTV have been running an interview with SAF all day where he says Possebon is away with Italy, which intrigued me. No sign of any of our lot in the squad though:

Portieri: Pinsoglio (Juventus), Viotti (Bellaria);
Difensori: Albertazzi (Milan), Bruscagin (Pizzighettone), D’Elia (Juventus), Gentili (Pergocrema), Pambianchi (Parma), Tagliani (Fiorentina);
Centrocampisti: Calderoni (Piacenza), Della Penna (Pistoiese), Marilungo (Sampdoria), Martinez (Carpendolo), Mazzarani (Udinese), Raggio (Pisa), Romizi (Fiorentina);
Attaccanti: Eusepi (Ancona), Mustacchio (Sampdoria), Okaka (Brescia).
Always the chance they might be called up late I suppose.

Virtuoso

Yeah cheers for the PS18, I actually saw it earlier in the day in the end on the FIGC site as it was only announced today but that's very odd that Sir Alex would say Possebon's in the Italy squad because he's not even in the U21 squad for the Holland game.

oskarutd

Yeah cheers for the PS18, I actually saw it earlier in the day in the end on the FIGC site as it was only announced today but that's very odd that Sir Alex would say Possebon's in the Italy squad because he's not even in the U21 squad for the Holland game.
He either meant Macheda or he was telling us Possebon was with the Brazil under age team.
Must be a mistake.