Internationals March (World Cup Qualifiers)

Classical Mechanic

Yeah, England couldn't have been luckier with this group. Albania, Andorra and San Marino are poor teams even for pots 4, 5 and 6 standards. And there were much harder options for pots 2 and 3 than Poland and Hungary - and now we even get to face the 'toughest' opponent without their one world class player.
I don't know. I think Germany and Denmark have easier groups.

RashyForPM

I meant it might happen if you got a different manager. But then went on to add that the gamble is it might not, and the results aren't as good and you end up in a worse position.

That's the gamble clubs / nations take if they want to sack successful but pragmatic managers in search of a successful and entertaining manager.
I agree. Portugal sacking Santos would be like Stoke sacking Pulis but on a much higher scale. Portugal may have players like Ronaldo, Bruno, Jota, Felix etc, but Stoke had Butland, Shaqiri etc too (worse players than Portugal’s by far of course, but still should have been too good to go down). Stoke already went down, and Portugal won’t continue to win trophies if they sack Santos too.

Gonçalo Motta

Portugal has one of the best 11s in the world right now but I feel like this old version of Ronaldo is going to hold this team back. He is still a great player neverthless.

This NT with a prime Ronaldo would probably be the top contender (or atleast one of the top contenders) for the Euros / World Cup.

Bertie Wooster

I really don't get this whole 'Portugal would be better off without Ronaldo' line.

Yes they have some very good AM's / wide men, but they don't have a great #9 or prolific scorer coming through that Ronaldo is 'holding back'. He currently offers to them what the likes of Kane, Lewandowski, Lukaku, Cavani offers to their teams - and that's an awful lot.

It feels a lot of the 'is Ronaldo holding back Portugal? debate has been spearheaded by people trying to find any way to discredit the amazing achievements he's made at international level and the goalscoring record he's on the point of breaking. How can we undermine that? Let's argue he's now selfishly holding them back and only being picked so he can break the scoring record.

There's room for a teams best #9 and finisher to play alongside skilful, creative players like Fernandes, Bernardo, Jota, etc. They've got a good few wide men / AM's to start and one or two off the bench but, for balance, there's room to play a better finisher and prolific #9 with them rather than play without a lead the line striker and have a false #9.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I really don't get this whole 'Portugal would be better off without Ronaldo' line.

Yes they have some very good AM's / wide men, but they don't have a great #9 or prolific scorer coming through that Ronaldo is 'holding back'. He currently offers to them what the likes of Kane, Lewandowski, Lukaku, Cavani offers to their teams - and that's an awful lot.

It feels a lot of the 'is Ronaldo holding back Portugal? debate has been spearheaded by people trying to find any way to discredit the amazing achievements he's made at international level and the goalscoring record he's on the point of breaking. How can we undermine that? Let's argue he's now selfishly holding them back and only being picked so he can break the scoring record.

There's room for a teams best #9 and finisher to play alongside skilful, creative players like Fernandes, Bernardo, Jota, etc. They've got a good few wide men / AM's to start and one or two off the bench but, for balance, there's room to play a better finisher and prolific #9 with them rather than play without a lead the line striker and have a false #9.
Yeh, I was going to say the same thing, he plays like a traditional number 9 for Portugal and his build-up and link play is still very strong. Last night he was constantly on the shoulder of the last defender on crosses which is where he got his goal and we all know he's got some of the best movement in world football. The key for Portugal is making the rest of the pieces fit, Bruno has to be in based on recent form but they then have a lot of similar players on the wings and in AM positions. I would still have them as one of the favs entering the next couple of tournaments.

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Is it realistic that after the Euro or once Ronaldo finally reaches Ali Daei's record, he would be pushed more to the background? It just seems weird to me that a team with such attacking outlet (Jota, Neto, Joao Felix, Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes) would try to shoehorn a static presence of his instead. Sure it helped in the box helps against Luxembourg, but I just think it would be too much of a burden against the bigger teams. Then again France wins stuff with Giroud in their team, however unfancy their football is.
Static? He keeps bailing us out many times just like some months ago vs Sweden away.
There is this idea that Portugal plays much better without him, based on some games that were very easy (and ignoring the games we also played atrociously and Ronaldo didn't play).
In fact, there is this weird agenda that João Félix has to play always, that Ronaldo ruins the team, Ricardo Pereira doesn't exist, etc

João Félix still hasn't done anything at all in the national team even after almost a year being a starter, Jota came in once in the last months and the difference is enormous.
Also note that André Silva is in fantastic form and he barely played in these 3 games, meanwhile João Félix, Rafa, etc, all got the time, and no, this is not because Ronaldo and André Silva are incompatible (new myth), some years ago they played together in the national team and the output of both of them was great.

Our team is very static as a whole, we generally play badly and that is impressive with the players we have and this affects all of them, Ronaldo included.

Also please note that this defensive style is not a recent thing, in fact we always were defensively minded first since 2004.
2006 WC? 2010 WC? 2012 Euro? 2016 WC?
Basically we stay behind and hope the many talents we have can solve the problem, we have no real offensive process.

Red Star One

Predicted line up for England? Foden-Phillips-Rice in the midfield most likely? Watch Foden and Mount run riots tonight.

saivet

Predicted line up for England? Foden-Phillips-Rice in the midfield most likely? Watch Foden and Mount run riots tonight.
I think he'll go with a midfield 3 of Rice, JWP and Mount.

My guess would be:
Pope
Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
Rice, JWP
Foden, Mount, Sterling
Kane​

He could really go for anyone at right back tonight though.

I'm interested to see what Southgate does as this is our toughest match on paper (even with Lewa missing) before the Euros as it may give a clearer idea on what he's planning on doing. I have a feeling he will stick with 4 at the back for the group stages and will revert to the 343 if we play one of the big teams in the knock outs.

Red Star One

I think he'll go with a midfield 3 of Rice, JWP and Mount.

My guess would be:
Pope
Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw
Rice, JWP
Foden, Mount, Sterling
Kane​

He could really go for anyone at right back tonight though.

I'm interested to see what Southgate does as this is our toughest match on paper (even with Lewa missing) before the Euros as it may give a clearer idea on what he's planning on doing. I have a feeling he will stick with 4 at the back for the group stages and will revert to the 343 if we play one of the big teams in the knock outs.
JWP won't play tonight, he left the squad and is with Soton medical staff

RashyForPM

Whoever starts at LB for England tonight is a sure fire bet for first choice LB at the Euros. Shaw deserves it so much. Contrary to popular opinion, aside from the first half of last season, this isn’t the first time Shaw has eclipsed Chilwell as an LB. He’s generally always been the better player.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Whoever starts at LB for England tonight is a sure fire bet for first choice LB at the Euros. Shaw deserves it so much. Contrary to popular opinion, aside from the first half of last season, this isn’t the first time Shaw has eclipsed Chilwell as an LB. He’s generally always been the better player.
Even if true he didn't show it. We've come a long way from the threads on here calling him fat and slow.

RashyForPM

Even if true he didn't show it. We've come a long way from the threads on here calling him fat and slow.
Mate, we have people here saying Bruno is not technically gifted, and is a bad passer. Luke Shaw has always been a worse Denis Irwin, which is no insult whatsoever. Denis was aptly nicknamed 8/10 Denis, and Shaw wouldn’t sink much lower even during his worst performances.

RashyForPM

Had an awful lineup prediction for the San Marino game, but he could have chucked any 11 of the 23 squad members out there and England would have won with ease. For today, I’ll go:

Pope
James Stones Maguire Shaw
Rice Bellingham
Foden Mount Sterling
Kane

SwedishFish

Sweden has already taken the lead in a meaningless friendly against Estonia within 3 minutes from a goal by Marcus Berg.

The best of the rest lineup all competing for a spot in the Euros squad.

Paul_Scholes18

Sweden has already taken the lead in a meaningless friendly against Estonia within 3 minutes from a goal by Marcus Berg.

The best of the rest lineup all competing for a spot in the Euros squad.
Pretty boring friendly. I think Krafth, Berg, Quaison and maybe a midfielder got a chance to start in Euros or future world cup qualifiers. The others behind right now.

SwedishFish

Pretty boring friendly. I think Krafth, Berg, Quaison and maybe a midfielder got a chance to start in Euros or future world cup qualifiers. The others behind right now.
Probably Svanberg and Cajuste (for the World Cup qualifiers) and possibly Ken Sema have a good chance to make it. The others are far behind.

JuriM

We have been playing with C - squad line up the whole international round atm. As almost 20 of our players were out due injuries or Covid protocol unable to play.

RashyForPM

Chilwell starting in the last competitive game against a decent side, thus confirming his place as first choice LB over Shaw, the best LB in the PL this season. Oh and of course, a Phillips-Rice midfield two of absolutely zero creativity and dynamism.

Southgate OUT!

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Is it realistic that after the Euro or once Ronaldo finally reaches Ali Daei's record, he would be pushed more to the background? It just seems weird to me that a team with such attacking outlet (Jota, Neto, Joao Felix, Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes) would try to shoehorn a static presence of his instead. Sure it helped in the box helps against Luxembourg, but I just think it would be too much of a burden against the bigger teams. Then again France wins stuff with Giroud in their team, however unfancy their football is.
Quite honestly he doesn't need to play every game and 90 minutes over 90 minutes on Tournament Football in 2021, but if things don't go right in the Summer pressure will come for him, at least if he doesn't improve his individual performances from the last 3 matches, starting to get worried it might not be temporary...

RashyForPM

Armenia take the lead. 3-2. What a game they have played. 3 wins from 3 to begin qualification, and all this without Mkhitaryan.

Hope they make it to the World Cup!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Armenia take the lead. 3-2. What a game they have played. 3 wins from 3 to begin qualification, and all this without Mkhitaryan.

Hope they make it to the World Cup!
I feel like the crowd really helped spur them on. Every Armenian attack had large cheers from the crowd, and the players used that energy to drive forward and be brave on the attack. Armenia were fortunate to score the equaliser with a couple of players offside, but in the end, they truly deserved the win. Romania couldn't contain Armenia's quick breaks, and the back line looked worried on every Armenian attack.

RashyForPM

I feel like the crowd really helped spur them on. Every Armenian attack had large cheers from the crowd, and the players used that energy to drive forward and be brave on the attack. Armenia were fortunate to score the equaliser with a couple of players offside, but in the end, they truly deserved the win. Romania couldn't contain Armenia's quick breaks, and the back line looked worried on every Armenian attack.
Took the words right out of my mouth there. The quality was genuinely very good from both teams, Armenia especially, and the crowd were incredibly supportive and boisterous. I watched this game for two reasons: to see if Armenia won (hope they finish 2nd now that they did it) and to simply witness football fans cheering their team on, something we have all missed at club level. I wasn’t let down and I hope Armenia make the World Cup.

I must say though, I was a bit confused by the Viking clap celebration the players and the whole stadium did after the game. I thought that was Iceland’s! :lol:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I must say though, I was a bit confused by the Viking clap celebration the players and the whole stadium did after the game. I thought that was Iceland’s!
It is, but everyone's adopted once it got popular at the start of 2016. We see it a bunch at club level, too.

RashyForPM

We always do this. Like I said earlier, we’ll be competitive against everyone, start getting our hopes up, then lose to various minnow we should be pounding on then watch as the campaign goes to shit again.
I must say though, aside from the brilliant fans, I was very impressed with the quality of your team. With Mkhi injured, I can’t say I had even heard of anyone in the 11 bar Adamyan. You’ll obviously lose to Germany (so would England, so no worries), but a few draws away to Romania and Iceland and you’ll make the playoffs easily.

big rons sovereign

Chilwell starting in the last competitive game against a decent side, thus confirming his place as first choice LB over Shaw, the best LB in the PL this season. Oh and of course, a Phillips-Rice midfield two of absolutely zero creativity and dynamism.

Southgate OUT!
But but, he wears a waistcoat.

saivet

Shaw should be starting but not a bad thing for United. If he keeps up his form until the end of the season and Chilwell continues to be rotated, I think there is a chance he starts at the Euros.

Would have liked to see Bellingham instead of Phillips too.

Canucantona20

Shaw should be starting but not a bad thing for United. If he keeps up his form until the end of the season and Chilwell continues to be rotated, I think there is a chance he starts at the Euros.

Would have liked to see Bellingham instead of Phillips too.
Agreed on the Bellingham starting over Phillips considering Phillips just came back from injury and has started all three games.

0le

Glad Shaw is being rested. That means Bruno, Shaw and Lindelof all have a week off and players such as Rashford and AWB have not featured at all.

Renegade

There’s no way Southgate is going to play both Foden & Grealish in the midfield this Euro’s. Both will be considered as wide players with Mount a shoe in as the attacking option in the middle with two DM’s.
Rashford needs a strong end to the season in my opinion. Sancho has hit form and Sterling is a dead cert with Southgate.

GeorgieBoy

Happy Shaw is getting rested.
But does this mean Chilwell to start LB at the Euros do we think?
That would be criminal.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Happy Shaw is getting rested.
But does this mean Chilwell to start LB at the Euros do we think?
That would be criminal.
Nothing new though from him, useless manager.

Absolutely no interest in international football tbh so I don't really have any bias other than hoping he doesn't pick any united players which he doesn't so that's good at least.

Deery

Dreary
Nothing new though from him, useless manager.

Absolutely no interest in international football tbh so I don't really have any bias other than hoping he doesn't pick any united players which he doesn't so that's good at least.
Maguire is playing.