Internationals November (Nations League / Euro 2021 play-offs / Friendlies)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You are the one saying a captain is a coward if he doesn't hit a pen . They won ffs haha. Yeah maybe the captain is awful at pens so why have the complete opposite opinion earlier its bizzare to say the least.
We all hate Liverpool but come on pal haha
It was just strange to me that he didn't shot. He strikes me as a player who should be good on pens because of his good left foot. But yeah, they won so good choice by manager.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Old format is irrelevant now. They could have lost all their games in the normal qualifying but they still would have got a playoff spot. The fact is that UEFA are handing out 16 playoff spots through the Nations League. If your using NL as a criteria then you can’t be handing playoff spots to teams who suck under that criteria.

With 20 pre-qualified teams you can’t have 16 additional playoff teams. Too many dross teams will get an undeserved second bite of the cherry and potentially fluke their way to a tournament. UEFA need to find a way to return to 8 playoff teams.
Yeah just looked at their results and I'm a bit bemused how Norn Iron got in considering they were in with Bosnia who also were in nations play offs......and errr played Northern Ireland. :houllier: I presume Austria got through automatically.

Nations league qualificaiton format is ripe for someone to do a dissertation on as I still don't have a clue how it all works.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Having vividly remember us lose out despite dominating the Euro 2000 playoff against England, concede a last-minute equaliser against Belgium before the 2002 World Cup, beat Holland but get humped away in the Euro 2004 playoff, appoint Smith a game too late ahead of resurging before the 2006 World Cup, lose out of Euro 2008 in the last minute from an awful decision against world champions Italy, then a decade in the wilderness failing to even make a playoff - after all of that what a feeling to finally get over the line.

Tel074

Evans cost Northern Ireland massively. Doesn’t this always happen, when a player is lauded? Someone said he’s the best defender they’ve seen recently. Too lazy to check BBC sport for the article
Blaming Evans ? The midfielder missing his header for the first and shocking slow goalkeeping for the second. Come on you can't blame Evans for either of them goals?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Swear watching these highlights some of these Northern Ireland players first played for them in about 1995! :lol: Lafferty and Steven Davis been around forever playing for them. Was expecting McAuley and Aaron Hughes to come out of retirement as both were on Sky duty.

Think Iceland and Northern Ireland are in the same boat now, both been very consistant in last 6-7 years with stable squad and style but now so many key players are wrong side of 30 and might not fancy another 2-4 year cycle. And neither has a consistant supply of up and coming talents due to the small pool of players they can pick from.

Even someone like Glyfi Sigurdsson who in my mind is still about 24 has just turned 31 and Iceland will really suffer not having a player of his quality in midfield.

Stupid both are also being asked to play two nations league games straight after aswell after the crushing disappointment of tonight.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Huh ? He was probably one of the worst players out there for us tonight as he usually is with Scotland, he does not replicate his club form in internationals so you obviously haven't watched any Scotland games :lol: I hate that attitude and it's disrespectful to other players who are "less famous" , one of our best players in these last months internationals is actually a QPR player, go figure
I don't need to watch Scotland play regularly to say Andrew Robertson is comfortably the best scottish player in the world.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Scotland keeper saves a winning penalty and stops to ask the referee whether he’s going to VAR it. I hate it.
And people who are against VAR were mocked and laughed at when it was said it would kill celebrations.
That instant release and emotion has already gone.

well done Scotland

Jaxa

I don't need to watch Scotland play regularly to say Andrew Robertson is comfortably the best scottish player in the world.
Completely different statement that, he probably is the best scottish player in the world right now but he's not Scotland's best player, there's a difference.

Bwuk

David Marshall is Scotland’s best player and should immediately be knighted.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yeah, that got me as well. Keeper saves the last penalty in a shootout to send his country to their first tournament in 20-odd years and he can't even celebrate. Has to beg for forgiveness from VAR first. :rolleyes:

Really illustrates something being taken away from the game with the ridiculously anal implementation of the thing.
Yea the goal line rule is the annoying part, not VAR. It would not have been needed had the authorities not wanted a stricter implementation of the rule.

That being said, it is being overblown, it took literally 6 seconds for them to confirm the save, after which the keeper celebrated like he usually would. No different from when in cricket a wicket can be rescinded with a no ball looked at by the third umpire.

Hardly a 1 minute waiting time you see with other VAR decisions such as offside, handball or fouls.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Completely different statement that, he probably is the best scottish player in the world right now but he's not Scotland's best player, there's a difference.
Yeah I think Christie, McGinn and Jack have proven themselves to be our most consistently influential players, and when Christie and McGinn came off last night, we lost any ability to control the game.

Jaxa

Yeah I think Christie, McGinn and Jack have proven themselves to be our most consistently influential players, and when Christie and McGinn came off last night, we lost any ability to control the game.
100% , i'd also add Lyndon to that list too, he won every single long ball last night and has been brilliant for us recently, that was even more evident when McBurnie came on for him who had another stinker, he was jogging around like he'd been on the pitch for 90 minutes.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
100% , i'd also add Lyndon to that list too, he won every single long ball last night and has been brilliant for us recently, that was even more evident when McBurnie came on for him who had another stinker, he was jogging around like he'd been on the pitch for 90 minutes.
Yeah they couldn't handle Dykes. He's been immense since joining the squad.

Bwuk

Yeah they couldn't handle Dykes. He's been immense since joining the squad.
He has been. Night and day the difference between him and McBurnie.

Yes sir, I can boogie.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Messi scores - var takes it away :lol:

Thought Argentina game was tonight, got confused with the early kick off.

I thought there was some sort of time limit on the fouls with VAR. Chelsea scored that handball goal v West Brom which only happened 10 seconds before I think Tammy put it in the net. I'm always amazed watching South American internationals how much the refs let go, was a clear foul. Keeper should've saved it aswell.

Good point for Paraguay, they tend to be a bogey team for Argentina in Commebol. Can see Argentina dropping points in Peru next week so qualication could get more complicated for them again pretty quickly.

Uruguay got two really tough ones away to Colombia and home to Brazil so think they're in danger not to make it as plenty of their key players aren't far off mid 30s now so think they'll run out of legs like Chile did for 2018 qualifiers.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was amazed Stuart Armstrong didn't get on, Southampton's form always picks up when he gets a run of starts.

Gameplan was brilliant for first 80 minutes and then Clarke made a couple of odd calls with subs.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Handed a playoff spot through the Nations League despite never even winning a single NL game. Makes a mockery of the playoff system when you can lose all games but still get a playoff spot.
Agree that the qualification process is a big, convoluted and confusing mess.

While they didn't qualify anyway so it doesn't really matter, in NI's defence they:

• Were the 25th ranked team in the qualifiers themselves, Scotland were 29th
  • Had to play against a better quality of opposition in their Nations League than Scotland as they were in League B with Scotland in League C
  • Had to play against a better quality of opposition in their playoffs than Scotland due to participating in a higher Nations League group

DRM

Are they Euro;s likely to go ahead? What does everyone think?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Why would the Euros not go ahead when they’re managing to play all these pointless international friendlies? Given it’s in 7 months too when the picture will undoubtedly be a lot better.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Yes but I don't see the 12 team city thing happening. Think it will be whittled down to 6 e.g. Glasgow, London, Munich, Rome etc.

Full crowds dosen't feel realistic but let's hope decent % of capacity can get in by mid June as will certainly add to the group stages.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Two Swedes completely butchered Iceland and Norway in these playoffs. Their obsession with using players who never even play for their clubs is ridiculous, as if they’re deliberately trying to sabotage the team. Never trust Swedes.

I think you guys had one sub remaining, why on earth didn’t someone like Kjartansson come on for the final few minutes after they took the lead?
That would require playing a striker and someone that would lower the average age. I've seen nothing from Hamrén that shows that he knows or cares about football. Always the same players, same subs no matter the fitness or form for club. Just reckless management. We've lost more than half the games with him in charge.

Bwuk

Don’t think I’ve sobered up from last night yet.

Yes sir, I can boogie. Get David Marshall knighted.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Uruguay doing well in Colombia so far, 2 up. Suarez and Cavani of course with the goals.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not sure Quieroz is going to last long as Colombia coach, 3 down now. Darwin Nunez scoring his second goal for Uruguay so looks like a nice developing alternative to replace the top two after Qatar.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Always had a soft spot for Uruguay (even managing them on FM :lol:) Do they have many talents coming up to replace Cavani and Suarez?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Always had a soft spot for Uruguay (even managing them on FM :lol:) Do they have many talents coming up to replace Cavani and Suarez?
Darwin Nunez who Brighton nearly got but gone to Benfica so will be moving to major euro leagues in next few years for huge money. Also Maxi Gomez is a good striker in La Liga and still young.

Think their issue will be CBs once Godin is done although Araujo is starting to break through at Barca this season.

Amazing for 3m country they produce so many top level players generation after generation.

Chile-Peru up at 11pm. Chile are really struggling to replace Alex-VIdal-Bravo era looking at their squad, still calling up Jean Beausejour who is 36 now. :lol:

Peru called up Lapadula who was at Milan a few years ago and journeyman Serie A striker. Has a Peruvian Mum.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Vidal still a total boss out there. Brilliant strike for 1st goal:

Added a close range second since. Would've loved to have seen him play in premier league at some point.