Internationals November (World Cup Qualifiers)

Classical Mechanic

Yeah but I’ve been saying for ages, England seem to constantly have these easy games, never remember that many for Rooneys era.

He’s racked up massive numbers against shite has Harry I reckon. Be interesting to compare their records at some point, at this rate Kane will overtake him by the time we get to 90 mins tonight.
Kane's record is better by all measures. Most importantly Kane is the joint top scorer for England in international tournaments with Linekar on 10 goals. Rooney aside from 2004 was very disappointing for England in major tournaments. If the question is who was the better player for England then the answer is definitely Kane. The England team in Rooney's era was consistently worse though. Aside from 2010 WC qualifiers under Capello England didn't smash team easily in qualifiers like they do under Southgate. Rooney scored a lot against dross as well. Kane's record of 48 goals and 15 assists in 67 games for England is impressive even controlling for the easy games in qualifiers.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't see the problem, they're a nation - why shouldn't they have a go. It's not compelling viewing but that's not the point, it's about fairness.
Guess the debate is they have pre qualifiers in Asia, Africa and Concaaf before final groups so europe section would hardly be axis of evil if they adopted some sort of cut for 2 worst performing teams in nations league.

Groups would be better if there was just 4-5 teams in it so more would go to last games although would mean more big countries would be in danger of not making it but you get that anyway.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I feel sorry for San Marino. They came into this game knowing they were going to get smashed and it was just a question of what the score line was going to be. They're not going to get better at the game playing against the likes of England because the difference in quality is too great. I understand that they deserve to have that opportunity to play against the 'big' teams, such as England, but this game doesn't really serve anyone. It's an easy way to pad the stats, but that's it.
Why? They're a bunch of semi-pros who get to travel around Europe playing in some amazing stadiums against some great players, despite being shite (compared to other international footballers).

Every semi pro in Europe wishes they had a grand-parent from San Marino!

If one of these players scores in a 10 -1 loss to England, they'll be telling their grand kids about it.

Abraxas

Guess the debate is they have pre qualifiers in Asia, Africa and Concaaf before final groups so europe section would hardly be axis of evil if they adopted some sort of cut for 2 worst performing teams in nations league.

Groups would be better if there was just 4-5 teams in it so more would go to last games although would mean more big countries would be in danger of not making it but you get that anyway.
True, but I don't see who it's really hurting to have these fixtures. If there's no entertainment value in it there is always the option not to watch. It creates some stat padding and the odd easy group which is simply luck of the draw but nothing particularly damaging. I think it's just something to moan about.

Superunknown

They did have Andorra in this group though and lost both comfortably so really little that can be done.

I read a while back they don't really bother or have financial resources to track players with parentage as you'd think they'd be some o.k players in Serie B-D who have some sort of links to them and won't ever get called up by Italy.
That does sound odd, but I don't really know the ins and outs of their team. I can get that they're limited with what they can do, so maybe there is only so much that can be done.

*frantically checks family history for San Marinonian heritage*

*isn't sure San Marinonian is the right word*

Classical Mechanic

Why? They're a bunch of semi-pros who get to travel around Europe playing in some amazing stadiums against some great players, despite being shite (compared to other international footballers).

Totally. It must be a massive buzz for these cloggers to be rubbing shoulders with amazing players. They'll have loads of stories for the grandkids.

Superunknown

If one of these players scores in a 10 -1 loss to England, they'll be telling their grand kids about it.
Yeah, I get that side of things completely. But, the other side of it is that it must be demoralising knowing that you're going to get thumped before you even set foot on that pitch. To know that you're literally only there to make up the numbers.

Saying all that, if I got a call up tomorrow, I'd jump at the chance to play. So, ignore me. :lol:

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I don't see the problem, they're a nation - why shouldn't they have a go. It's not compelling viewing but that's not the point, it's about fairness.
CONCACAF, a less prestigious confederation than UEFA, has pre-qualifier games for its caribbean islands, to avoid the tenis results.

Doesn't make any sense that UEFA includes San Marino, Gibraltar,etc in their qualifiers.

big rons sovereign

Surely England's midfield should be taking potshots now, they're 6-0 up, there's no need for walking it into the net now.

Abraham's a donkey :lol:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
That does sound odd, but I don't really know the ins and outs of their team. I can get that they're limited with what they can do, so maybe there is only so much that can be done.

*frantically checks family history for San Marinonian heritage*

*isn't sure San Marinonian is the right word*
I'd go for San Marinan but odds are we're both equally talking crap

Abraxas

CONCACAF, a less prestigious confederation than UEFA, has pre-qualifier games for its caribbean islands, to avoid the tenis results.

Doesn't make any sense that UEFA includes San Marino, Gibraltar,etc in their qualifiers.
But so what? Good for them, if that's what they think is best. I just don't think it's worth worrying about - who is the disadvantaged party in all this?

They're happy to play, other nations are happy enough playing them and scoring a few/experimenting. Fans can do as they please - we're here watching. Nobody is really hurt by it. Remove them from this group and it would make no difference to a side like England, or any other respectable international outfit but they've had fair representation.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Swiss 2 up now. Pressure really piling on Italy as even 0-1 may not be enough.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
0 shots on target so far. Said it before, Norn Iron in Belfast are a tough team to score against.
Flashscore says, that Italy already had 7 shots on goal. North Ireland had 0 before, now 1.
Swiss two up, so Italy has to win this.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Will Italy be unseeded, potentially only finishing on 16 points while Scotland on course for 23 points so they'd be ranked ahead when you deduct 6 points for having extra team in their group.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Switzerland always smash teams they suppose to beat, that's a good quality if you ask me.
Many good teams have missed WC for not beating teams they suppose to beat, drawing or losing.

Switzerland has its limitations as they are lack quality, and it shows when facing better teams, which is why they don't go far in tournaments, but they are still get decent results... haven't missed a WC since 2006.