Internationals October (Nations League + Euro 2021 play-offs + Friendlies)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is like saying that people like Fred should move to some championship club because they'll never be appreciated by the United fans like they would at Barnsley. Footballers generally want to be in the best teams surrounded by the best players.

Also, if Moses really cared so much about Nigeria's team, its rather incongruous with him retiring at 27 from international football.... Certainly not because he has a hectic club career either. Zaha similarly pulled out of every Ivory Coast squad for about 18 months after they failed to qualify for the world cup, only returning for the African Nations. I think you overestimate the pull of the homeland to a lot of these guys. Particularly African countries where the FA's are oftentimes basket cases.
No it isn’t, nationality of course works quite differently. And with international football, footballers typically want to actually play in it, and feature at the World Cup, especially.

And I didn’t say Moses ‘cares so much’ about Nigeria’s team, I said Nigeria’s team cares more about Moses. He may have retired from international football at 27, but for England, he’d have retired at 20. He’s played in two World Cups in his career, which is a good achievement.

I’ve seen many cases like the ones you speak of. Kevin-Prince Boateng treated Ghana like shit, for example. Played for Germany his whole youth career, and tipped for the seniors until the Ballack incident, after which he suddenly remembered Ghana just in time for the World Cup. After impressing there, getting his big move to Milan, he retired at about 23, before returning for the next World Cup. The point is, Ghana still took him back, and the nation still loves him, and will do long after he retires. THAT is the appeal I am talking about. Jack Grealish turned his back on Ireland years ago before Southgate had to reluctantly buckle and give him his first call up at 25. He will be able to say he ‘played for England’, but he’d never be for them what he could be for Ireland. Southgate will drop him as soon as Villa go down, or he moves to Chelsea and doesn’t start for 3 games. Wales will pick, and love, Gareth Bale if he spends a season playing golf. I think, personally, that these things mean much more at international level, when representing a flag and a people.

And you’ll get no argument from me about the FA’s. The NFA is notoriously scandalous, but I’d like to think you are playing for the people.

Untd55

England’s midfield is so poor relative to other parts of the team. Else it could have been amazing.
Yep. They should just try Alexander Arnold in midfield and put in another right back (it's not like we're short there). He has the passing ability for the position, so we have nothing to lose really.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Yep. They should just try Alexander Arnold in midfield and put in another right back (it's not like we're short there). He has the passing ability for the position, so we have nothing to lose really.
yup the German's do that sort of thing all the time and no one bats an eyelid at it, our media would be in hysterics ...

Idxomer

Henderson - TAA - Grealish could be an interesting midfield.

I know Grealish is considered more of a left forward and he's great there but he could also be very good in midfield.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
A member from the Romanian staff tested positive for Covid when he arrived. Now the Romanian FA spokesperson is saying that we're cheating and trying to get Romania thrown out of the competition by putting us in isolation. He points at a 2-2 draw between Denmark and Sweden that put both of them through to the Euros in 2004 and Sweden accusing Romania of race abuse and Faraeo Islands for getting Slovan Bratislava kicked out of the Europa League this season as proof of Nordic teams being cheats. Saying that he fears Romania will get a 0-3 loss called on them.

Snow

That was really harsh on Tammy, it was a surprise party for him!

fecking morons who turned up/organised it though.
Surprise parties are never a surprise. Knowing Tammy he probably pushed for the party as he loves being the center of attention. Putting this headline in his scrapbook as we speak.

Snow

ITK post. Romania's starting lineup tomorrow.

Tatarusanu
Burca - Grigore - Tosca - Camora
Cretu
Hagi - Maxim - Stanciu - Mitrita
Alibec or Puscas up top
I know nothing of Romania so I have no idea if this lineup is obvious or not.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What's the actual reason anyway for a friendly being inserted into this schedule? I thought Nations league games were supposed to replace them and obviously two this month and in November.

UEFA being UEFA I guess but makes even less sense being BCD.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What's the actual reason anyway for a friendly being inserted into this schedule? I thought Nations league games were supposed to replace them and obviously two this month and in November.

UEFA being UEFA I guess but makes even less sense being BCD.
There are 8 play-offs on Thursday involving teams from all sorts of different Nations League groups. That means NL games involving those teams can't take place until Sunday. What do you do if you don't have a play-off? Do you train and prepare for 6 days? Or do you take advantage of the open midweek slot, arrange a friendly and potentially test out fringe players? I don't think it's UEFA ordering teams to play friendlies but the different federations themselves preferring the latter option.

Given how much national team managers moan about lack of preparation time you'd think they'd want the full week of tactical work without interruptions. But then again a friendly is a preparation too so it's pretty much two sides of the same coin.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
There are 8 play-offs on Thursday involving teams from all sorts of different Nations League groups. That means NL games involving those teams can't take place until Sunday. What do you do if you don't have a play-off? Do you train and prepare for 6 days? Or do you take advantage of the open midweek slot, arrange a friendly and potentially test out fringe players? I don't think it's UEFA ordering teams to play friendlies but the different federations themselves preferring the latter option.

Given how much national team managers moan about lack of preparation time you'd think they'd want the full week of tactical work without interruptions. But then again a friendly is a preparation too so it's pretty much two sides of the same coin.
Or could've given options for nations to just bring forward nations league games to Thursday-Sunday so clubs get players back early next week as opposed to Wednesday.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Surely the worst result in England's under 21 history. I've never seen a worse coached defence that England under Boothroyd. The last Euro's was painful.

Still, its better than the alternative were he flukes doing well with them and ends up becoming England manager, as would inevitably happen.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Bernardo, Bruno, Felix, Ruben Dias and William/Danilo get some rest. First ever start for Trincão and Ruben Semedo while Renato Sanches is back in the team. Hoping for a good game to prepare for France on Sunday. Pepe, Moutinho and Ronaldo playing only 45/60 minutes is expected.

Last edited:

Hansa

Surely the worst result in England's under 21 history. I've never seen a worse coached defence that England under Boothroyd. The last Euro's was painful.

Still, its better than the alternative were he flukes doing well with them and ends up becoming England manager, as would inevitably happen.
Haven't seen much of the U-21s, but his Watford side back in the day was not exactly easy on the eye.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
This kit is so good, finally the green shorts are back :drool:

Makes it look like Portugal-Spain at Euro 2004, same stadium too.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Is this on sky because i cannot see anything on my sky go account? Says it should be on sky sports somewhere.

Drainy

I haven't been following England Underages much this year.. Christ, how is he still in a job?

Paul_Scholes18

This footballday is bloody boring. Not sure if I will bother to watch anything seriously . Just have it on the tv in the background.

K_Ash

well at least, Martial is starting...not all is lost :lol: