Internationals September (Nations League + Friendlies) | England RELEGATED

Blackwidow

Germany's nomination

Bella-Kotchap new - Götze and Hummels not nominated (but still aren't out for the World Cup)

And France

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

One of these after the World Cup? Reckon they'll get rejected by Howe and then up hiring the U21 guy (Carsley).

Ole'sgunnarwin

Such an overreaction to Sancho not being included. He's been decent lately but nothing special. Plus he's never played well for England. If Grealish was to drop out, Gordon probably could have come in.

Hulme91

The continued outrage over Maguire being picked for an England squad is always funny
The guy has been England's best CB for 3/4 years, a period where England have had extended runs at two major tournaments... One of those being barely 12 months ago
He was always going to get a longer rope especially as England doesn't really have a lot of quality options in that position

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Southgate is a clown as manager so nothing new there. England's overall squad quality and piss easy fixtures masking that he is in fact just a shit manager. National team Ole.
These games are against Italy and Germany, so will show us a thing or two.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Southgate is an Ole clone. The disparity between what he says and does is a chasm. I don't know if it is incompetence or duplicitous but it is not a good look.
You can't say you pick players based on form and co sistently pick players not olaying well.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
TAA - woeful form
Chilwell - barely played
Maguire - barely played
Shaw - barely played
Phillips - barely played
Grealish - barely played and poor form

Players not included who have started the season well:

Sancho, Rashford, Smalling, Harrison, Kilman, Marcus Edwards (Sporting), Gordon.
Said it in another thread but this is what would worry me about an England fan. Half the team isn’t playing or is in shite form going into the WC and he’s using this break to take those exact players instead of taking players that have starred the season well and are playing. He’s an eejit.

croadyman

Said it in another thread but this is what would worry me about an England fan. Half the team isn’t playing or is in shite form going into the WC and he’s using this break to take those exact players instead of taking players that have starred the season well and are playing. He’s an eejit.
Completely

Judas

Open to offers
The amount of defensive players in that squad is absolutely incredible. I detest Southgate's use of this generation of talent we currently have.

Robindinho

He's said that the likes of Shaw, Chilwell, Maguire and Phillips not playing isn't ideal, but still seen as important players, within the group and therefore still selected.

So the playing consistently/in form 'rule' only applies to the players he doesn't like... His favourites get picked no matter what. Got it.

saivet

TAA - woeful form
Chilwell - barely played
Maguire - barely played
Shaw - barely played
Phillips - barely played
Grealish - barely played and poor form

Players not included who have started the season well:

Sancho, Rashford, Smalling, Harrison, Kilman, Marcus Edwards (Sporting), Gordon.
Mount is another one with mediocre form. From what I gather Bowen hasn't been good this season either.

Clear case of Southgate having his favorites.

TheGame

Mount is another one with mediocre form. From what I gather Bowen hasn't been good this season either.

Clear case of Southgate having his favorites.
I just don't rate Mount even though he probably deserves to be in the squad, I just don't think he's good enough as a starter for England. Bowen was on top form last season but West Ham again have had a stuttering start. The depth in the midfield outside of Bellingham and Rice is worrying.

Renegade

Phillips should have been punished for choosing to move to Man City in a World Cup heat following a injury ravaged season.

Lee565

Four bloody right backs again.. I'm sure trippier will be playing as left back again in the upcoming matches :houllier:

the_cliff

Quality.Sancho has been terrible for months. Rightfully dropped. I dont think he will make the WC, but Rashford will
There's no way Grealish deserves to be in this squad over Sancho.

Both Sancho and Anthony Gordon deserve to be in this list over Grealish. Southgate has his favourites though and if Grealish/Maguire/Shaw don't play another minute this season they'd still go to the world cup.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That's the weakest midfield I've seen England have for a long time in their squad!

Take Kane out of that forward line and that too looks weak.

croadyman

Probably best line up from that selection would be:

Pope
James Tomori Stones Trippier
Rice Bellingham
Saka Foden Sterling
Kane

Expect Southgate to play 5 defenders though.
Yeah that would be my team too

wangyu

For once international games make a lot of sense considering the World Cup is just around the corner. Big matches ahead.

Sancho doesn't deserve a call up imo but nor do Grealish, Rashford and Maguire. But it was completely expected that Southgate would fall back on the players that got to the European final. No surprises at all here as far as I am concerned.

Also lets be fair here, who does he need to call up that is setting the world on fire? There are no English players really in super form at this moment, especially not those who have the experience and mentality (dealing with pressure) that is required to play international football.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Wonder if we can smash Belgium again. I doubt it. Would be the final nail in the coffin of their "golden" generation. Back to being our dim little brother.white text

croadyman

That's the weakest midfield I've seen England have for a long time in their squad!

Take Kane out of that forward line and that too looks weak.
Yeah hard not to be pessimistic when such a woeful defence,midfield and manager

Steven Seagull

He knows his preferred team though, or at least 8/9 of the players depending on the opposition. You're not going to start calling up players like Dunk, Targett and White with 6 weeks to go before the tournament are you? They're not going to feature in the tournament so you're best off taking players you know and trust. Plus you can give them some minutes.

croadyman

He knows his preferred team though, or at least 8/9 of the players depending on the opposition. You're not going to start calling up players like Dunk, Targett and White with 6 weeks to go before the tournament are you? They're not going to feature in the tournament so you're best off taking players you know and trust. Plus you can give them some minutes.
Praying this is his last tournament as manager

TheGame

No one is asking to call those players aside from White being in contention. Players like Shaw, TAA and Grealish aren't going to start so why are they in the squad when out of form? Picking players out of form and who don't play for their club enforces the lazy approach and indicates to those players they will be picked irrespective of their club form/selection.

Steven Seagull

No one is asking to call those players aside from White being in contention. Players like Shaw, TAA and Grealish aren't going to start so why are they in the squad when out of form? Picking players out of form and who don't play for their club enforces the lazy approach and indicates to those players they will be picked irrespective of their club form/selection.
So who should replace them? If the first choice players like Chilwell are injured then he's not going to pick Matt Target in a million years is he, he's going to pick Shaw because he knows him and has experience. Lets be realistic here, the tournament starts in 2 months

TheGame

So who should replace them? If the first choice players like Chilwell are injured then he's not going to pick Matt Target in a million years is he, he's going to pick Shaw because he knows him and has experience. Lets be realistic here, the tournament starts in 2 months
Trippier would replace him and he would start ahead of Chilwell. Why would you put a player in a tournament who has no match fitness as he hasn't played?

croadyman

He should have been more open with selection in the first place,too bloody late now

KeanoMagicHat

Sancho should be in the England squad but Southgate didn’t even play him when he was one of the best wingers in Europe so it’s no surprise.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Southgate is an idiot and a fraud. Happy Sancho is not in the squad for United but this guy should be managing in League 1.

Hulme91

Sancho should be in the England squad but Southgate didn’t even play him when he was one of the best wingers in Europe so it’s no surprise.
Sancho hasn't performed in an England shirt which is why he gets overlooked
A lot of football supporters seem to overlook what players actually produce in internationals when it comes to selection

GMoore23

Really don't get the Ole Southgate comparisons.
No way does Southgate get 2nd and 3rd place league finishes with United. Southgate would have us mid table, he's as mediocre as it gets.