Introduce vanishing spray to the PL

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
I really can't figure out why this has not been implented in the Premier League yet. Surely I cant be the only one getting annoyed whenever I see the wall creeping slowly closer to the ball on every single freekick in a dangerous area?

Is there any reason why this should not be implemented though? It seems like such an easy and effective way of improving the game, and making sure that the players have to respect the distance between the wall and the ball, rather then trying to gain an unfair advantage by closing that gap?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Some rubbish about integrity, changing the game, slowing the game down probably.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
How is it slowing the game down though? Isnt it faster to draw a line on the ground, rather then having to delay the freekick to push the wall back to its original spot?

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout

Fal

It doesn't take much time at all. Ref counts out the steps and when he reaches the area he sprays, takes maybe half a second more time. That said, last time I saw it used the other team went way past the line... ref did nothing.

cj_sparky

If refs have to make sure socks and sock tapes are of the same colour. Then I think this would be a very good idea.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It could be used in a similar fashion for throw ins as well,
That's a terrible idea. Throw ins are there in the first place to get the ball into play again as quickly as possible. Having the ref jogging over to the line would waste a lot of time.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Yeah it's a great idea, I saw it used in a match a last year and can't think of any decent reason for it not to be used. Clearly it wouldn't slow the game down at all, that's a rubbish excuse.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
That's a terrible idea. Throw ins are there in the first place to get the ball into play again as quickly as possible. Having the ref jogging over to the line would waste a lot of time.
Only when it suits, if United are leading 1-0 and the clock is tickitn down they'll drag it out for as long as possible.

Why do you need one for throw-ins?
Players look to steal a few yards in fairly similar way all the time.

A fair bit of this comes down to enforcement too of course [shirt pulling, time wasting tactics e.t.c.], the authorities fear the flood of yellow cards that would be handed out were the laws properly acted on.

For repeat offenders at free kicks and those guilty of offensive language we could also issue match officials with pepper spray, a potentially entertaining and instructive tool for the referee. :) I wouldn't mind that for some supporters too. :)

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
They implemented it a few years ago but had to stop it after liam miller got covered by it

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
It's getting closer

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/19/world-cup-brazil-vanishing-spray-blatter
Referees to use vanishing spray at Brazil World Cup

• Line marked for defensive walls at free-kicks
• Sepp Blatter says officials have praised device

Referees will use the recently developed vanishing spray at the World Cup next year to stop defensive walls creeping forward at free-kicks, Fifa's president Sepp Blatter has said.
When a free-kick is awarded near the penalty area, the referee paces the regulatory 10 yards between the ball and the nearest defender and then sprays a line on the pitch to mark the correct position of the wall. The line then disappears from the pitch within a minute.
Blatter said the spray, developed in Brazil and Argentina, had received a positive reception after being used at the Club World Cup in Morocco.
"I think it's a very good solution. Some say it takes too much time and I was also quite sceptical at the beginning but all the referees who have used the system were pleased with it," Blatter said.
The spray has been used for several years in Argentina and Brazil where it is generally accepted that it has reduced the amount of arguing over where the wall should stand and has prevented encroachment.
"The representative of Bayern Munich said that here they can take free-kicks with the wall nine metres away, while at home it's only five," said Blatter. "It's a novelty, we will start using it in the World Cup in Brazil."

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The Bayern players were pretty annoyed after the semifinal at the Club World Cup, because it took ages with every freekick and they couldn't continue to play as quick as they liked to. No idea which representative of Bayern Munich, Blatter is quoting there, but I haven't heard any praise for that spray after the game.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The Bayern players were pretty annoyed after the semifinal at the Club World Cup, because it took ages with every freekick and they couldn't continue to play as quick as they liked to. No idea which representative of Bayern Munich, Blatter is quoting there, but I haven't heard any praise for that spray after the game.
Blatter is a lunatic, "while at home it's only five" ... Who could have told that and why is he naive to believe it ?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Do the refs carry a miniature spray on them during the game? Or do they have to go the sideline and pick it up?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
That's the ref's fault. If he's using the spray that means that the free kick can't be taken quick. The spray shouldn't stand in the way of anything. It's only used when the ref is measuring how far away the wall is supposed to be.

Tibs

Vanishing spray is already around in the league....our midfield hasn't been seen in years

Ainu

Pointless idea. They'd be better off training the referees, showing what a proper tackle/foul is.
Because the two are clearly mutually exclusive?

It's piss easy to implement and doens't take up any time at all, it should only be used in cases where the ref has to measure the distance to the wall, so he's there anyway. The thing with footballing organisations though, when something is so obvious it's kicking them in the face, they probably won't implement it.