Introducing new site design and features

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Thanks Blythy, might well take you up on that offer :)

Brophs

The One and Only
One issue I noticed-when you go into a forum, and hover over a thread title(which brings up the yellow box with the thread text in it), it doesn't seem to highlight the thread title by changing it to another colour or underlining it.

Is it just me, or was that different before the update?

PS. I'm liking the new layout.
Niall, if you haven't gotten to this yet, ignore me, but this feature seems to come and go now. Sometimes it highlight, sometimes not. I can't see any rhyme or reason to when it does it either.

B Cantona

Desperate
When you type something into the google search bar, it takes you to a new blank google page, you have to type the search in again.

I just discovered this while searching for "Archbishop Don Juan the Magic Wand", who is Snoop Dogg's "spiritual advisor" (drug dealer). If anyone's interested, it gleaned two results, one a somewhat poofy thread about sincher, the other a thread that seems to have been deleted, almost certainly by me. But anyway, the larger point is that I had to type "Archbishop Don Juan the Magic Wand" twice, unnecessarily.

That shit ain't right yo.
Forever in my shadow Plech

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Niall, if you haven't gotten to this yet, ignore me, but this feature seems to come and go now. Sometimes it highlight, sometimes not. I can't see any rhyme or reason to when it does it either.
The CSS files are cached so please clear your cache and it should work all the time.

If you're using Firefox the option is under Tools > Clear Private Data.

Let me know if that works for you.

Brophs

The One and Only
The CSS files are cached so please clear your cache and it should work all the time.

If you're using Firefox the option is under Tools > Clear Private Data.

Let me know if that works for you.
Seems to have done. Cheers. Not sure why I've been chasing this one down, to be honest, I'd probably have gotten used to it they way it was pretty quickly.

Brophs

The One and Only
Seems to have done. Cheers. Not sure why I've been chasing this one down, to be honest, I'd probably have gotten used to it they way it was pretty quickly.
I spoke too soon, Niall. I ended up having to clear the cache again after it stopped working after a while.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
'Mark Forums Read' is now available in the forum sub-navigation as somebody requested.

Merman

Can you change the font in the google custom search box? It looks awful right now, spoils the beauty of the remaining page. And the underlines appear for only some links listing the number of pages, it looks inconsistent.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
I've tweaked the search box font - any better?

I've also taken out the Google search so it's using the standard forum search instead.

Merman

I've tweaked the search box font - any better?

I've also taken out the Google search so it's using the standard forum search instead.
This is better. Can you change the search box to show the results as posts instead of threads?:)

lewstherin

Niall you know you wouldn't have to make as many changes if you just banned anyone who complains.

twitter thread suggester
I'm going to be really petulant now; the Search box should be moved 2px down (or 5 if it looks better aligned with the buttons at the bottom).

x42bn6

I'm going to be really petulant now; the Search box should be moved 2px down (or 5 if it looks better aligned with the buttons at the bottom).
Are you trying to compete with me for small details?

The problem is that the menu buttons on the left (ul#primary) take up too much space.

Code:
#nav ul#primary li a {
  display: block;
  color: #fff;
  text-decoration: none;
  font-size: 14px;
  padding: 6px 14px;
  width: auto;
}
To:

Code:
#nav ul#primary li a {
  display: block;
  color: #fff;
  text-decoration: none;
  font-size: 14px;
  padding: 4px 14px;
  width: auto;
}
Should do it.

kps88

Anyone else miss the "top" link which used to appear at the bottom of the page?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Yes there is great wailing and gnashing of teeth about the top link. I'm getting through each item one at a time so be patient! :)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'll start banning them then, as agreed Niall

which list will i start with, the one with Merman at the top?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
The precious 'Back to top' link is now in the footer. You may have to refresh the page a few times to clear your cache.

Happy now? ;)

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
How do I edit the bit about me in the Wiki, when you click on "Plechazunga"? It says "this page has been locked".
me too, it's rather odd, I don't even have the right to say who I am and the tremendous amount of stuff I brought to Man United.

twitter thread suggester
Am I the only one missing the google search box? I found it a lot more useful than vBulletin's search in most cases. Not to mention quicker.

Can't you make some fancy java script-button which changes the search box into a google search box upon click - thus maintaining the design while offering both options.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
After a quick investigation it appears you now have to pay for Google site search - unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

I prefer the Google search also and will investigate further at a later date. Unless someone wants to do it for me? :)

twitter thread suggester
After a quick investigation it appears you now have to pay for Google site search - unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

I prefer the Google search also and will investigate further at a later date. Unless someone wants to do it for me? :)
That sounds odd considering they used to indirectly pay websites for using their search as it resulted in a lot of ad-revenue.

Adsense is currently down, so I can't check my account, but I'd be surprised if they don't still offer the search box.

They also have it for free here: http://www.google.com/coop/manage/cse/create/1 - but then you won't get any revenue from the ads, like you would if you used the one through adsense.

Classy Cannon

Left Back <font face="Arial"color="White"> in the
When I get to the bottom of a thread a 'page loading' box pops up in the bottom right corner & another random thread loads below the one I'm in. Is this a new feature, or has my Firefox gone nuts?

Also, I can't find the smilies when doing a quick reply, have they gone, or am I not looking properly?

Logan!

When I get to the bottom of a thread a 'page loading' box pops up in the bottom right corner & another random thread loads below the one I'm in. Is this a new feature, or has my Firefox gone nuts?

Also, I can't find the smilies when doing a quick reply, have they gone, or am I not looking properly?
As far as I remember, the smilies were never available in the Quick Reply box.