Introducing new site design and features

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Welcome to the first blog post of the newly re-freshed, re-jazzed, re-invigorated, re-whatever'd RedCafe.net!

These updates have been in development for a few months now and today are finally ready to see the light of whatever it is the Internet emanates.

DESIGN UPDATES

The design refresh is the most immediately obvious change, one aimed at improving both the site usability and aesthetics. It isn't a fundamental change but there are enough improvements to make it a significant update. The forum remains almost exactly as before.

The biggest change is the introduction of the Blog and Wiki.

BLOG

The Blog is something I have long wanted to add to the site. I see it as a platform for selected users to contribute in depth opinions on the latest goings on at United. By 'selected users' I mean hand picked regulars who have demonstrated an ability to express their opinions in a coherent and well written manner. Obviously this rules out most of you, so there will only be a small number of 'bloggers' for the time being (that first part was a joke btw (maybe) ;)).

Every blog entry will automatically create a new topic in the relevant forum (typically the Manchester United forum). Members can then discuss the blog just like a normal topic. The main benefit of posting through the blog is that the write-ups will receive more prominence on the site and essentially be 'featured' topics.

WIKI

The wiki is a project that has been a long time coming. Originally envisioned by WeasteDevil (IIRC), I am hoping it will become a comprehensive resource on all things Manchester, particularly United. What can go in the Wiki is wide open, as long as it stays on topic. It can be profiles of United players/staff past and present, season reviews, match reports, statistics, memories of great days from the past, information about Manchester the place, anecdotes, classic discussions from the forum etc. It will be whatever we, the community, make it.

There is already quite a bit of content in the Wiki to get things started, contributed by a number of posters (WeasteDevil, Bury Red, Plechazunga, jasonrh, Twisted_Woody, blythy, esmufc07 and others). A lot of what was in the old 'Archives' has been moved to the Wiki, with that section of the site now officially retired (the arcade has also bitten the dust!).

The Wiki is still in its infancy and a little rough around the edges in places but as it grows I'm hoping it will become a great feature of the site. Like the blog, I am looking for people who are interested in sharing their knowledge and memories of United and/or Manchester. So if you're interested in contributing to the Wiki or improving what's already there, please let me know.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS

No doubt some of you will cry foul of these updates (some people love to complain about change - you know who you are!), but this is an important step forward for the site and there are other exciting new features in development...but more on that another time :)

Anyway, if you're still reading, I hope you enjoy the new additions and improvements. I'll be happy to hear your feedback and comments, so just follow the link below to sound off in the forum topic this post created.

Niall

PS - As with all updates, if you notice anything awry, that isn't working as it should, please let me know by either sending me a private message or posting in the Admin/Mod help forum.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
a lot of images are not working for me niall!?

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
The button icon pictures aren't appearing for me, only a white box with a red X in it followed by the name.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Yep, none of the 'icon' images are working for me either.

Glad to see the site moving forward though.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Icons and other missing images should be fixed. Refresh a couple of times if you're still not seeing them.

If some images are still missing, please let me know here. Ta!

rednev

The icon images are back to normal for me now.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
The only image not showing for me is the one in the top right next to the thread title.

Looking class though Niall

Alex

Will the site be better on matchdays now, when there is added traffic will it still run quickly?

rednev

Just found the 'quick links' button. Excellent addition.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Will the site be better on matchdays now, when there is added traffic will it still run quickly?
More than quickly, new hardware has been installed over the last few weeks which should treble the horsepower of the site.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Some of my usernames have been deleted by accident..................

I give you 1 hour to give them back to me - Or else there will be trouble

iSparky

when i try to reply to a pm the site crashes, what gives?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Having some technical issues that are being ironed out - your PM didn't break the site Sparky, the site broke your PM!

iSparky

Having some technical issues that are being ironed out - your PM didn't break the site Sparky, the site broke your PM!
working now niall:D

nice one!:D

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i seem to be missing a pm informing me that i can create blogs.