IPL 2016

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Not sure why Jakati was bought back.

Great stuff from AB so far. Need to see it through now.

NinjaFletch

How AB stayed on his feet when he got absolutely assaulted by the celebrations I don't know. Incredible knock.

MDFC Manager

Fantastic!

Shout out to Abdulla as well. How often do you some gobshite tailender throw his wicket away playing a terrible shot? Really sensible innings.
Indeed, I was wondering why Jordan wasn't sent ahead of him. Now we know why

NinjaFletch

Fantastic!

Shout out to Abdulla as well. How often do you some gobshite tailender throw his wicket away playing a terrible shot? Really sensible innings.
He tried his best for a bit! Did you see how angry Kohli was getting with him not taking a single?

NinjaFletch

Tbf Kohli seems to be perennially angry at everyone except ABD.
Must be hard having to put up with bloody mortals that can't live up to your standards like he has to. :lol:

Last edited:

Moonred

RCB has to be overwhelming favourites. Momentum with them, home ground advantage in the final. But then so was CSK a few years back. #KKR :)

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
"Unbelievable, can't believe I'm the winning captain," Kohli said at the post-match presentation. "That should end a lot of debates as to who is the best going around. No question about it.

"Come the big game, the big man stands up. I just bow down to him, that was probably one of the best knocks under pressure I've seen. So composed, taking Iqbal Abdulla along. He was really motivated to do it for the team.
I agree with Kohli. AB is the best current batsman, especially all formats combined.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
"Come the big game, the big man stands up.
Is that why he chokes when the pressure is on at the international stage?

2011 WC QF: 35 (chasing 220 and losing)
2012 WT20: 25, 21 (lost both crunch games)
2013 Champions Trophy SF: 0
2014 WT20 SF: 10 (got schooled by an actual big game player)
2015 WC SF: 65*
2016 WT20: 16, 10 (and a flashy fifty vs the minnows)

Obviously the innings yesterday was good but Kohli is going way over the top with those comments. For once AB didn't bottle it at the crunch stage of a tournament and is getting praised as if he is renowned for doing what he did.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Is that why he chokes when the pressure is on at the international stage?

2011 WC QF: 35 (chasing 220 and losing)
2012 WT20: 25, 21 (lost both crunch games)
2013 Champions Trophy SF: 0
2014 WT20 SF: 10 (got schooled by an actual big game player)
2015 WC SF: 65*
2016 WT20: 16, 10 (and a flashy fifty vs the minnows)

Obviously the innings yesterday was good but Kohli is going way over the top with those comments. For once AB didn't bottle it at the crunch stage of a tournament and is getting praised as if he is renowned for doing what he did.
That's a good point.

I think part of his problem are some of the shots he plays and huge amount of risk involved in them when all he needs to do is play proper shots. He's talented enough not to need those shots.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I agree with Kohli. AB is the best current batsman, especially all formats combined.
Test batsmen maybe but kohli is better in limited over cricket. It's not even a comparison these days. Kohli is a proper clutch player.

NinjaFletch

That's a good point.

I think part of his problem are some of the shots he plays and huge amount of risk involved in them when all he needs to do is play proper shots. He's talented enough not to need those shots.
I think thats old fashioned thinking, its precisely because he can and will play those shots that he's so good. Besides, I genuinely can't remember him getting out playing those ridiculous shots (although I'm sure he has). He's not an idiot like Glenn Maxwell who will try and do it first ball, he tends to play properly till he's in, and when he's in he goes for it.

He had an interesting interview with ESPN a few months ago talking about it, its worth having a look for because it was a really good read about how and why he does what he does.

Edit: http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/940121.html well worth a read.

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I think thats old fashioned thinking, its precisely because he can and will play those shots that he's so good. Besides, I genuinely can't remember him getting out playing those ridiculous shots (although I'm sure he has). He's not an idiot like Glenn Maxwell who will try and do it first ball, he tends to play properly till he's in, and when he's in he goes for it.

He had an interesting interview with ESPN a few months ago talking about it, its worth having a look for because it was a really good read about how and why he does what he does.
You're probably right and I'm being old fashioned but for me when you have players who are so good at striking the ball then there is little need to take risks playing those creative shots. The way Root got out in the WC Final was really fecking annoying. Made 50 odd playing excellent shots and then gets out trying to play a scoop. That said, I can't think of too many occasions he's got out playing such shots so that's probably not the issue.

NinjaFletch

You're probably right and I'm being old fashioned but for me when you have players who are so good at striking the ball then there is little need to take risks playing those creative shots. The way Root got out in the WC Final was really fecking annoying. Made 50 odd playing excellent shots and then gets out trying to play a scoop. That said, I can't think of too many occasions he's got out playing such shots so that's probably not the issue.
I think AB's 'issue' so to speak is that he was batting too low for club and country, no surprise he's had his best IPL (?) now he's coming in at three.

I'm in two minds on the risk point though, because I understand where you're coming from, and up until probably this t20 WC just gone I would have agreed wholeheartedly. But I think the perception of risk is a bit skewed and its easy to judge the level of risk by the level of execution, rather than the actual risk. For example, if a player gets caught at cover trying to hit over cow corner because he mishits it was that a bad decision and too risky or bad execution? If he plays the scoop well (say Jos Buttler for example) but cue ends one and offers a return catch was that too risky of just bad execution?

I think the way T20 is going we're going to see an awful lot more of players taking 'risks' and getting better and better at executing. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I genuinely think in 15-20 years time scores of 240+ will be the absolute norm and we'll look back on players like AB and the shots that he played and consider him a pioneer of 'modern' T20s.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I think AB's 'issue' so to speak is that he was batting too low for club and country, no surprise he's had his best IPL (?) now he's coming in at three.

I'm in two minds on the risk point though, because I understand where you're coming from, and up until probably this t20 WC just gone I would have agreed wholeheartedly. But I think the perception of risk is a bit skewed and its easy to judge the level of risk by the level of execution, rather than the actual risk. For example, if a player gets caught at cover trying to hit over cow corner because he mishits it was that a bad decision and too risky or bad execution? If he plays the scoop well (say Jos Buttler for example) but cue ends one and offers a return catch was that too risky of just bad execution?

I think the way T20 is going we're going to see an awful lot more of players taking 'risks' and getting better and better at executing. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I genuinely think in 15-20 years time scores of 240+ will be the absolute norm and we'll look back on players like AB and the shots that he played and consider him a pioneer of 'modern' T20s.
That's a very good point so I'm probably being a old grouchy git. ABD falls under the category of players for whom playing reverse sweep is just as risky as playing a normal cover drive. Still, I'd say some batsmen are better off not playing those shots. I mean, you don't want to see someone like Gayle or even Kohli trying to reverse paddle someone for a six when they can score quick runs playing normal shots. I'd like to add though that I don't dislike these shots. Hell, some of these shots are mind bogglingly good.

Agree with that. Not even Yorkers are a safe ball these days with the shots batsmen are coming up with.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I can't understand Gujarat's approach. You've got like 4 openers in your team and you decide to open with a pinch hitter?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Brilliant knock from Warner. Good game.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Against the best bowling lineup in tournament though. 200 will be exceedingly tough to chase when you add in the pressure.