IPO filing suggests Manchester United Football Club badge could return

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
July 2013:

‘I didn’t like that change of badge,’ said Woodward. ‘Joel didn’t like that change. We will look at that and have a think about that. We are a football club, not a business.'

‘I described it to our staff that we are a 135-year-old club and that’s what you have to remember. We are a football club, a club with a capital C.'

‘Strapped to that is a commericial business that’s going to fund a lot of the player purchases going forward here and we have to be supportive of both.

We’ve got to make sure they co-exist together but don’t impact each other and that’s where we are trying to balance it.’

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Yes, put it back on it. Hopefully a new badge isn't too cartoony like the one we have now.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Class 18 - Leather and imitations of leather; trunks and travelling bags; umbrellas, parasols and walking sticks; whips, harness and saddlery; articles of luggage; cases; suitcases; garment bags for travel; bags; school bags and satchels; back packs; rucksacks; beach bags; sports bags; athletic bags; gym bags; boot bags; duffel bags; holdalls; toilet bags; valises; attaché cases; brief cases; wallets; purses; key cases; pouches; credit card cases and holders; umbrella covers; walking canes; bands and straps of leather; leather shoe and boot linings; collars and covers for animals; leather trimmings; laces, leads and leashes; parts and fittings for all of the aforesaid goods.
I can't wait to buy myself an official Manchester United whip with the old club badge on it.

Nanook

Yes, put it back on it. Hopefully a new badge isn't too cartoony like the one we have now.
It will be the same as the one we have now, the only difference is 'Manchester United' will be at the top and 'Football Club' will be where it currently says 'United'.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
It will be the same as the one we have now, the only difference is 'Manchester United' will be at the top and 'Football Club' will be where it currently says 'United'.
I don't doubt it will be very similar to what we have now (not that round thing in the other thread). I'd just like to put some colour back into it. Red and yellow just looks rubbish.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
For instance, I am not particularly a fan of Germany changing their pre-1939 position of not going into Poland, to then going into Poland.

Norris

Totally for this. Great to see Football Club return.

kps88

"I didn't like that change, Joel didn't like that change"

The change happened in 1998. :confused:
It would have been a bit odd of them to not like a change that happened while they were in charge.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
You can not like a change that happened in the past you know.
It would have been a bit odd of them to not like a change that happened while they were in charge.
No it's just the change had been done long before they arrived and if they didn't like it, why didn't they change it back awhile ago. Why wait till now?

Not trying to be cynical or anything like. Just would have assumed changing it earlier, if they didn't like it, would have been the thing to do. I'm all for it tbh.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Fairly sure the Glazers don't give a crap what we're called, long as it shifts merch, and if Woody has convinced them "Football Club" will sell more, they're certainly dislike the change.

Actually, a new/old badge is possibly a massive merch shifting opportunity, as every kid will have to have the right one on all their stuff.

caid

Im pretty sure i dont give a rats ass
Kind of hard to mistake 'manchester united' for anything other than a football club surely.

FujiVice

They've only reissued the trademark on the crest. I imagine this is the vintage retro Adidas line, which United will be aggressively pushing in 2016. If we do get a new badge, it'll be a re-design and not the old logo.

According the IPO, the last time we used the logo was for "21.03.15 - Soccer balls; Volleyballs"

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
No it's just the change had been done long before they arrived and if they didn't like it, why didn't they change it back awhile ago. Why wait till now?

Not trying to be cynical or anything like. Just would have assumed changing it earlier, if they didn't like it, would have been the thing to do. I'm all for it tbh.
Bang on, didn't abramovich change Chelsea's badge since he took over and that was a massive change, they could have changed it easily if they wanted to.

Natener

Bang on, didn't abramovich change Chelsea's badge since he took over and that was a massive change, they could have changed it easily if they wanted to.
Because compared to Chelsea and Man City (also had a badge change?), the United brand was well established globally. A badge change affects a whole lot of things brand-related. I doubt the Glazers came into the club or Woodward took office waving their fists screaming to change the badge as if rebranding is the most dire need of the club.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Because compared to Chelsea and Man City (also had a badge change?), the United brand was well established globally. A badge change affects a whole lot of things brand-related. I doubt the Glazers came into the club or Woodward took office waving their fists screaming to change the badge as if rebranding is the most dire need of the club.
I'm not really getting your point tbh.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Milan etc have changed their badge down the years and it's never affected them commercially.

And I also very much doubt that United adding two words to their badge is gonna affect them, in a bad way, commercially.

Plus, The Glazers own the club. They could put Harry Enfield's face on the badge if they wanted to, which I hope they don't btw

Norris

I'm not really getting your point tbh.

Liverpool, Arsenal, Milan etc have changed their badge down the years and it's never affected them commercially.

And I also very much doubt that United adding two words to their badge is gonna affect them, in a bad way, commercially.

Plus, The Glazers own the club. They could put Harry Enfield's face on the badge if they wanted to, which I hope they don't btw
I think what Natener might be trying to say is that Changing a logo literally means millions in investments. In changing every logo in the merchandising stores, every sponsorship association, every commerical avenue, every united related product, United have to actually spend a lot of money to globally reflect the change in the logo (The club has a presence in so many countries, it's an almost ridiculously difficult task).

But I don't see the need to change logo's at this stage. Our logo is one of the most recognizable logo's in the world.

Imagine how much effort the sweatshops will have to spend for those two extra words :(

Manny

Grammar Police
I prefer the badge as it is.

Fecking pointless adding 'football club' back in. I'd rather we modernised the badge further and made it look less busy.

Morpheus 7

Never thought we should have changed it. Manchester United Football Club is more traditional and has more class.It's also what we are,Manchester United sits too big on the jersey.It's slightly cheap looking and it was clearly a modern day attempt to create a simpler brand identity,doesn't look as good in my opinion.I have two design degrees and think the logo and emblem should be scaled down.It would add greater spatial reference on the jersey and not compete with adidas logo on the opposite side.Don't get me fecking started on the chevrolet logo.Should be monochromed and scaled the feck down.

Ed Woodward has more problem's than the badge at the moment.Needs to get the manager situation sorted and work on potential signings in the summer.The badge is not the priority ,it's the football we have played on the pitch.

Ryan7

I like the current badge. I find the one with 'football club' in it dated, if it was to be that and not a modernised version.

miler7

Sat at a desk deciding when I want to go home
I wouldn't mind either but........... part of me thinks this should have been done with the release of this seasons kit as a "surprise" all it seems to smack of now is the pending release of yet another kit similar to this season but with "Football Club" on the badge.

LInkash

Im pretty sure i dont give a rats ass
Kind of hard to mistake 'manchester united' for anything other than a football club surely.
With the way we've been playing this season, people need reminding that we play football.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
They've only reissued the trademark on the crest. I imagine this is the vintage retro Adidas line, which United will be aggressively pushing in 2016. If we do get a new badge, it'll be a re-design and not the old logo.

According the IPO, the last time we used the logo was for "21.03.15 - Soccer balls; Volleyballs"
Exactly.

Moving forward is what we should be doing. We're already stuck in the past and obsessed with 'tradition' as it is.

No wonder we're in the bloody shithole and modernised clubs like City are leaving us in the dust.

Bringing back a classic logo would be a branding disaster anyway.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can we sort out on the pitch issues first before worrying about aesthetic changes.
Those graphic designers are wasting their time on shit like this when they could be telling Schneiderlin to stay on his feet or telling Memphis to track his man. No sense of priorities in this club.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Not that big deal for me, to be honest. I like the current one. Seems to be important for some people though and if the majority of the fans want it, then we should do it.

Natener

I think what Natener might be trying to say is that Changing a logo literally means millions in investments. In changing every logo in the merchandising stores, every sponsorship association, every commerical avenue, every united related product, United have to actually spend a lot of money to globally reflect the change in the logo (The club has a presence in so many countries, it's an almost ridiculously difficult task).

But I don't see the need to change logo's at this stage. Our logo is one of the most recognizable logo's in the world.

Imagine how much effort the sweatshops will have to spend for those two extra words :(
Pretty much it. A badge change for us affects a great deal of business associations that we have built with our brand. Not that it can't be carried out, but it's far from being a matter of priority especially when the Glazers took over.

clarkydaz

its a nice sentiment, but when you have blatantly whored the name out to noodles, tyres, printers, hiking gear, etc it seems a little precious

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
If we do it, I hope it's a natural mashup between the current logo and the old one. Something like this:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
OK so I will admit I never noticed it had gone

but now I will always notice everytime I see it

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The yellow needs to go, white or gold would look much better.
I think gold instead of yellow is quite a natural thing on the shirt (especially for special occasions) but not on the badge on the page/website.

White though? White?!