g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Iran Plane Crash and Subsequent Protests

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
As I said it wasn't that big of a topic when it comes to Syria. Around here it was more about Libya and what happened in Lampedusa but it was from an humanitarian standpoint not world peace. After 2015 it could have been ISIS due to Charlie Hebdo but I don't know anyone that links it to Syria. And the biggest subject in France in 2013 was gay marriage and Assisted reproductive technology.

I'm genuinely curious to know how Syria ended up being the french nomination.

Could be as simple as name recognition, Syria being one of France’s former colonies in that region.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Don't you sometimes wish we had some cataclysmic event or extraterrestrials arriving to finally - if only for a short time - unite the world like in some of the movies?
We would probably blame one of the country for playing with their communication satellites and start WW3 while extraterrestrials flee the planet convinced that they found the biggest asylum in the universe.

JPRouve

Scout
Isn't Syria historically an area of French influence, JP? My recollection of Sykes-Picot is hazy at best.
It is but France tend to side with Lebanon and in the last years there has been a bit of diplomatic tension with Syria.

Could be as simple as name recognition, Syria being one of France’s former colonies in that region.
Yeah, it could be as simple as that. Now thinking about it Le Pen loves Bashar and keeps telling us about it, i wonder if it played a role in that.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Ya the US is definitely hated, having traveled a lot overseas and people telling me so :lol:. In fact if it wasnt for Pak, India would probably vote US also.

Dont know why some people are defensive about it, Rome also had many enemies in it's time, so did countless other hegemons, it's natural.
It's ridiculous. People begin to scrape the bottom of the barrel and look for any half excuse in the hope it's not true.

JPRouve

Scout
If Iran did shot that plane, then I would like to understand the thought process or whether the airplane mistakenly went somewhere Iran didn't want it to be.

Baxter

Trudeau saying it’s likely it was shot down by Iran.

sport2793

If Iran did shot that plane, then I would like to understand the thought process or whether the airplane mistakenly went somewhere Iran didn't want it to be.
I think it was just a mistake where they may have thought it was an incoming bomber/missile etc. Mind you it was a stupid mistake as if the US wanted to bomb Tehran it would have used a stealth bomber that they wouldnt have picked up anyways and it would have been accompanied by far more planes attacking anti-air in concert.

Keep in mind the timeline: Iran had just shot the ballistic missile a few hours before this I believe.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The other night after the missile launches, the internet was flooded with rumors that US jets had taken off from the UAE heading across the Gulf. Who knows what kind of information was reaching Tehran at that point.

sport2793

Kind of scared myself, about to take a flight that passes over the Persian gulf through Iranian airspace :nervous:.

Full bodied red

Almost certainly an accidental shoot down.

I've operated into and out of Khomeni International ( admittedly, a few years ago ) and at the time there was a SAM Missile Base clearly visible about six kms after take off in the direction of the PAROT Directional Beacon where I believe this aircraft was heading, on course, and came down according to the latest reports.

Given what was happening the past few days in that part of the world, it's not exactly forgivable but almost understandable that a SAM ground crew there were nervous / trigger happy.

On the other hand, I'd imagine that the US Spy Satelites were working overtime at that moment and if, and I repeat if, missiles were fired at and hit the Ukrainian 737, the US would know and so it's strange that they haven't yet published any evidence to confirm their claims.

But let's not forget, the US shot down an Iranian airliner by mistake in 1987 which killed about 200 people.

In a crazy part of the world, it's no surprise that crazy things happen.

wr8_utd

:'(
Still have no idea why any commercial aircrafts were flying at all that night. Given that it's been just 5 years since MH was shot down, seems absolutely stupid and irresponsible.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It is beyond dumb that the airspace was even kept open while missile attacks were being carried out. This isn't even a plane that was flying through, it took off on schedule from their own airport.

MTF

Almost certainly an accidental shoot down.

I've operated into and out of Khomeni International ( admittedly, a few years ago ) and at the time there was a SAM Missile Base clearly visible about six kms after take off in the direction of the PAROT Directional Beacon where I believe this aircraft was heading, on course, and came down according to the latest reports.

Given what was happening the past few days in that part of the world, it's not exactly forgivable but almost understandable that a SAM ground crew there were nervous / trigger happy.

On the other hand, I'd imagine that the US Spy Satelites were working overtime at that moment and if, and I repeat if, missiles were fired at and hit the Ukrainian 737, the US would know and so it's strange that they haven't yet published any evidence to confirm their claims.

But let's not forget, the US shot down an Iranian airliner by mistake in 1987 which killed about 200 people.

In a crazy part of the world, it's no surprise that crazy things happen.
Thanks for the info from a pilot's perspective. I think similar to how the US govt said that they believed MH17 was show down by a SAM not so long after the incident, but never offered any sort of footage from their radars/satellites/other sensors to the public, that they won't offer any this time either.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Ridiculous that people in 2020. still believe any bullshit coming from american news :lol: (even if it's true, but I doubt)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Ridiculous that people in 2020. still believe any bullshit coming from american news :lol: (even if it's true, but I doubt)
You're doubting that the plane was hit by a missile?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
We would probably blame one of the country for playing with their communication satellites and start WW3 while extraterrestrials flee the planet convinced that they found the biggest asylum in the universe.
Hahahaha yeah you re probably right. Someone should make a movie sometime where we re the biggest assholes in the galaxy.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You're doubting that the plane was hit by a missile?
I dunno, I am not an expert, but looking it like this it makes no sense whatsoever.

It also makes a lot of sense that americans would say it was Iran who shot it down.

sport2793

It's not just "American news" reporting it at this point. Best to read all the facts before making comments.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I dunno, I am not an expert, but looking it like this it makes no sense whatsoever.

It also makes a lot of sense that americans would say it was Iran who shot it down.
It's not just Americans saying it. Canada has said it too and it doesn't get more official than Trudeau saying it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
5 people on that flight were from my University...Sad news :(
Not sure how a mistake like that is even possible, if it indeed was (doesn't make sense whatever way you look at it). .

sport2793

It's not just Americans saying it. Canada has said it too and it doesn't get more official than Trudeau saying it.
Add the UK to the list, other European security officials are reportedly agreeing also.

Full bodied red

Think it's fairly safe to say that the aircraft wasn't shot down by US fired missiles.

Maybe there were no missiles at all, and it was an uncontained engine failure ( like the Air France concorde ) but it doesn't look that way....

fergieisold

It’s almost impossible that a plane falls out of the sky on fire with no emergency declared
Q asked: which is the greatest threat to world peace? A:
Considering Iran just shot down an airliner I think I know which country is on the money.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Any international sympathy that Iran may have gained after their general's assassination surely would go down the drain if this remains the official explanation for the plane crash. What a baffling feckup.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Any international sympathy that Iran may have gained after their general's assassination surely would go down the drain if this remains the official explanation for the plane crash. What a baffling feckup.
Doubt it will matter much. Don't think Russia gave a shit about its reputation after MH17. After all.. As we see so often today - if the guilty party never admits to something.. Did they really do it?