Iran v US confrontation

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
sorry, what does 'hitting them kinetically' mean? blowing them up?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

So trump is cool if China just rocks up with a few nuclear subs and places a few figher wings on iranain airbases then to protect their own shipping... then the usa can bugger off from the region... win win win I think... crack on

Carolina Red

Staff

So trump is cool if China just rocks up with a few nuclear subs and places a few figher wings on iranain airbases then to protect their own shipping... then the usa can bugger off from the region... win win win I think... crack on
The LGBT community is making a killing selling oil to Japan, apparently.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country

And you think Russia would let China setting bases in the area?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
President Sanders' new plan - "Medicare For All Except Mr. Beats, Mr. Hawk, And Mr. Dawg. Lower taxes for Mr. Wagner personally."

(from here)

Cloud7

Objectively speaking, if the US were to pick up sticks out of that region, who would actually be worse off? Saudi Arabia and Israel probably, but anyone else? Wouldn’t it be American interests in the region that suffer the most from that?

Objectively speaking, if the US were to pick up sticks out of that region, who would actually be worse off? Saudi Arabia and Israel probably, but anyone else? Wouldn’t it be American interests in the region that suffer the most from that?
Probably add Jordan to the list. Then you have the countless dictators in the Middle East and Africa who might fancy a pop at more power. Whether the US is there or not, in those regions they will still kill each other. It's been that way for centuries and will be that way until long after we're all dead. For all the trouble America causes their presence is still a mighty big deterrent to any would be Gaddafis, Milosevics or Konys who feel like attacking their own people.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Probably add Jordan to the list. Then you have the countless dictators in the Middle East and Africa who might fancy a pop at more power. Whether the US is there or not, in those regions they will still kill each other. It's been that way for centuries and will be that way until long after we're all dead. For all the trouble America causes their presence is still a mighty big deterrent to any would be Gaddafis, Milosevics or Konys who feel like attacking their own people.
:lol:

MJJ

America and its allys delusions never fails to surprise me.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I dont think bolton trumps and those incharge today would care. They just want to cash in on the war. What happens after isnt their concern. I even think they profit from occupations as well with all those private contractors contracts.

The congress should ban military outsourcing. It's a clusterfeck of conflict of interest

Cloud7

I dont think bolton trumps and those incharge today would care. They just want to cash in on the war. What happens after isnt their concern. I even think they profit from occupations as well with all those private contractors contracts.

The congress should ban military outsourcing. It's a clusterfeck of conflict of interest
Oh I fully agree with all of that, my thoughts were independent of trump and co. I was really trying to think of who would be worse off, and it’s really just SA and Israel. Every single other country they’ve intervened in has come out the other end worse than they were before.

And everything in America is a conflict of interest centered around making money for those in power. Healthcare, education, the justice system. Literally that entire country is one big vacuum sucking money up the ladder.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
in those regions they will still kill each other. It's been that way for centuries and will be that way until long after we're all dead
If you take a little step back from the present moment and look at the broad sweep of history, I think you’ll find this statement applies to pretty much everywhere to some degree, but probably best describes Europe better than anywhere else.

If you take a little step back from the present moment and look at the broad sweep of history, I think you’ll find this statement applies to pretty much everywhere to some degree, but probably best describes Europe better than anywhere else.
It absolutely does, but for the most part Europe (certainly Western Europe) has finished with its internal squabbling. The MEA and Africa still in many areas identifies itself by tribe, religion and culture ahead of actual country, just as we used to do in Europe. Until they move on from that there will always be conflict. People would still get killed if the US left them all alone, it would just be a different set of people. It's extremely naive to think if the US never got involved all things would be rosy.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It absolutely does, but for the most part Europe (certainly Western Europe) has finished with its internal squabbling. The MEA and Africa still in many areas identifies itself by tribe, religion and culture ahead of actual country, just as we used to do in Europe. Until they move on from that there will always be conflict. People would still get killed if the US left them all alone, it would just be a different set of people. It's extremely naive to think if the US never got involved all things would be rosy.
Instead the US and Europe fight wars to maintain artificial national boundaries that they themselves created and which often aren’t a particularly good fit for the people who actually live there, continuing an inevitable cycle of violence to supposedly prevent future outbreaks of violence.

Seems a bit silly really, doesn’t it.