g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Iran v US confrontation

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
What is the reason for Iran to do this?
They’ve been threatening to block shipping in the straits since April when the US essentially made the export of Iranian oil illegal.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They’ve been threatening to block shipping in the straits since April when the US essentially made the export of Iranian oil illegal.
Haven’t Britain, France and others in the agreement done their utmost to help minimise the impact on Iran of the US sanctions. It would be weird if Iran kick it back in their face to spite the US.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Haven’t Britain, France and others in the agreement done their utmost to help minimise the impact on Iran of the US sanctions. It would be weird if Iran kick it back in their face to spite the US.
They've done some things, but the end result turns out the same for Iran. Companies are not willing to deal with them, since the US has made it clear that anyone who does so will be facing sanctions themselves.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They've done some things, but the end result turns out the same for Iran. Companies are not willing to deal with them, since the US has made it clear that anyone who does so will be facing sanctions themselves.
And the solution to that is to go after their actual allies, or at least those who have treated them with some level of respect and dignity? It doesn’t add up.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Seems they've seized a second tanker.
UK 1-2 Iran.
Don't think it's another UK one?

From cnn
Iran has seized a second tanker, US official says

From CNN's Barbara Starr

Iran has also seized a second tanker, the Liberian-flagged MV Mesdar, according to a US official. Two more US officials tell CNN that, according to maritime intelligence reports, the indication is the Mesdar has been seized.

Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps announced earlier that its navy has captured a British-flagged tanker ‘Stena Impero’ in the Strait of Hormuz.

The order of seizure of the two ships isn’t clear at this time.

Edit... Liberian flag but British owned...

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/iran-seize-second-british-tanker-in-one-day/

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
:) Worked well hasn't it?

I actually mean Britain should have seen it coming before we seized their tanker, and done the obvious thing by surreptitiously tipping them off first to give them the chance to sail off and be someone else's problem.
C'mon... Get real
Trump's gonna give us a cracking deal now he has an excuse to bomb Iran and distract from the meuller testimony
Cracking conspiracy work from the UK

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
And the solution to that is to go after their actual allies, or at least those who have treated them with some level of respect and dignity? It doesn’t add up.
The UK is basically Satan #3, doubt Tehran is making big distinctions.

Carolina Red

Staff
Update: One British flagged ship and one Liberian flagged ship. No British citizens on either ship. Crew are a mixture of nationalities. In other words the Iranians have now pissed of a load of other countries too.
I wonder if they thought the Liberian flagged ship was one of ours.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
They just might have done. Flag is very similar.
Try putting the free app 'marine radar' on your phone, or one of the others like it. The position of every ship on the seas is shown, along with details of tonnage, when built, cargo, destination, flag, etc. You can google the ship's name to find ownership and the rest, or I daresay the 'paid for' apps will do that anyway, but I've never been interested enough to pay for one myself. I like to use it when I'm near a port to see what's in though.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Try putting the free app 'marine radar' on your phone, or one of the others like it. The position of every ship on the seas is shown, along with details of tonnage, when built, cargo, destination, flag, etc. You can google the ship's name to find ownership and the rest, or I daresay the 'paid for apps' will do that anyway, but I've never been interested enough to pay for one.
My phone only does texts and a basic installed app or two that came with the phone. Has no internet connection though.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Nothing wrong with that, you may have more sense than the rest of us there. In the case of the Liberian-flagged tanker, Sky says it was British-owned, which would make it a target of course.
Yes, it was a conscious decision. Just like my phone to be a phone. Cheaper too. Can connect to the internet with iPads, laptops and PCs.

redshaw

We don't seem to be getting any support for upholding EU sanctions. I don't see why we'd get involved in seizing their ship. Let the EU do it or the US and they get the blame, even more so with our situation with the EU.

Foxbatt

The issue is that Iran is not a party to EU sanctions. The ship was sailing in waters that have freedom of navigation.(Just like near Taiwan where China makes noise for military ships of other countries sailing there). So the British seizure was not actually correct in this sense. Furthermore this is not oil from Syria but maybe crude going to Syria. Iran is not under sanctions by the EU at all. This is why the EU is not saying anything much about this. Now if this was UN sanctions then it is a different story.
Furthermore, according to the Spanish the US informed them first about the ship and the Spanish rightly ignored it.