Iran v US confrontation

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Yeah just seems so reckless. The UK best not get involved in Trumps warmongering
If we had elected Corbyn then I would feel safe and secure. The fact we have elected Boris (Trump 2) fills me with fear. He's a cowardly, racist cnut who will blindly follow the USA no matter what.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
The pressure within Iran to retaliate will be massive

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Yeah just seems so reckless. The UK best not get involved in Trumps warmongering
It's incredibly reckless and what many feared from the beginning with Trump. Iran misjudged how he'd respond (because he's an unstable moron) to the attack that killed the contractor and then the orchestrated attack on the embassy.

It's terrifying because we know there's no effective, normal process for handling this in the White House or at the upper levels of State. It's all centered around an irrational moron of a man and how he's feeling at any given moment.

BlueHaze

Is this a act of war, killing another countrys senior general? I can only presume they didn't know he was in the convoy
What consequences this will have world wide I don't know but what I do know is that the killing of Suleimani is going to ignite a full out war within the region. Iran US tensions have been ongoing for a very long time and it had already escalated with the sanctions. Now Trump thought it would be a good idea to kill one of Irans most powerful generals in Suleimani.

Irans economy is already in shambles and they won't doubt for a second to go to war. They have only been waiting for the US to make a move that would let them. Well it's safe to say US have now made that move. I predict nothing but a result of calamitous proportions and there is honestly a chance that this strike in particular could ignite a third world war depending on which countries get involved.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
If we had elected Corbyn then I would feel safe and secure. The fact we have elected Boris (Trump 2) fills me with fear. He's a cowardly, racist cnut who will blindly follow the USA no matter what.
The irony is that all of this is the long-term result of the UK begging the US to overthrow Mossadegh to protect their oil interests in the first place.

starman

What consequences this will have world wide I don't know but what I do know is that the killing of Suleimani is going to ignite a full out war within the region. Iran US tensions have been ongoing for a very long time and it had already escalated with the sanctions. Now Trump thought it would be a good idea to kill one of Irans most powerful generals in Suleimani.

Irans economy is already in shambles and they won't doubt for a second to go to war. They have only been waiting for the US to make a move that would let them. Well it's safe to say US have now made that move. I predict nothing but a result of calamitous proportions and there is honestly a chance that this strike in particular could ignite a third world war depending on which countries get involved.
Russia is one of Iran's strongest allies, the thought of the US going to war with Iran is crazy, but here we are...

BlueHaze

Russia is one of Iran's strongest allies, the thought of the US going to war with Iran is crazy, but here we are...
It is truly crazy but it's been in the making for a long time. War in the middle east has been ongoing for years and the US have been heavily involved. Was only a matter of time before something like this happened. I'm not sure why Trump thinks going to war with Iran is a good idea, going on about their nuclear weapons and such bs.

A third world war will be the end of the universe as we know it.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
And this is what the moron tweets out:

It's an act of war surely?
I'm not sure it's intended to provoke a war, but there's a good chance it will provoke a strong response from Iran. For the US to be able to take out Soleimani and other Iranian proxies so effectively and quickly, it has to be unexpected and chastening for Khamenei. To save face, he can't let it go without response though. Will it be attacking US forces in the region? Shutting the Strait of Hormuz? If it had been a lower level figure, there's a chance Iran could let it go having learned its lesson, but Soleimani is far too valuable to let it go without response.

BlueHaze

I'm not sure it's intended to provoke a war, but there's a good chance it will provoke a strong response from Iran. For the US to be able to take out Soleimani and other Iranian proxies so effectively and quickly, it has to be unexpected and chastening for Khamenei. To save face, he can't let it go without response though. Will it be attacking US forces in the region? Shutting the Strait of Hormuz? If it had been a lower level figure, there's a chance Iran could let it go having learned its lesson, but Soleimani is far too valuable to let it go without response.
100%. More troops from Iran is probably being sent over as we speak and there will be retaliation from their part that's a fact. What that will later escalate into no one can tell for certain but what we do know is that it's on now and there will be disastrous consequences.

RedTiger

Half mast

In agreement with what you said I'd like to add that his overwhelming popularity as a leader will have a bwaring on the response.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
In agreement with what you said I'd like to add that his overwhelming popularity as a leader will have a bwaring on the response.
I think it depends on how the protests over the last month in Iran impacted public opinion on Iran's foreign interventions. While he's very popular with a large portion of the population, I doubt the people who were protesting and risking their lives are that bothered--other than his death potentially further entrenching the regime. I'm sure there's a large gap in public opinion between older and younger Iranians. The whole reason to wait, rather than trying to force regime change, with Iran is that the younger population is huge and will likely push for liberalization on its own in several years. Forcing a conflict likely sets that tipping point back years.

It will definitely have to respond strongly to appease the hardline public and to save face internationally. I don't know how long they could maintain it with pre-existing unrest domestically.

I have a nasty feeling that it is Trump that has miscalculated here as well as Iran
Don't worry, miscalculations have never led to huge wars or anything. :rolleyes:

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country

You wrong, people on power want to be in power a war with US which the military would have full control without politicians interference would be a fatal error for Iran’s leaders, they will use terrorism but they already know they lost the plot. Iran is messing around the region for too long, Bush and Obama stopped Israel to attack Iran in several occasions (destroying the “civilian” nuclear facilities) and now is too late because they may have some nuclear weapons and the West doesn’t want other nations around getting nuclear weapons.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Seemingly the only Republican who's worrying about the repercussions of this so far...

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
You wrong, people on power want to be in power a war with US which the military would have full control without politicians interference would be a fatal error for Iran’s leaders, they will use terrorism but they already know they lost the plot. Iran is messing around the region for too long, Bush and Obama stopped Israel to attack Iran in several occasions (destroying the “civilian” nuclear facilities) and now is too late because they may have some nuclear weapons and the West doesn’t want other nations around getting nuclear weapons.

Even Babelfish can't translate this gibberish.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I have a nasty feeling that it is Trump that has miscalculated here as well as Iran
Could well turn out this way. Hard to fathom the US having misconceptions about a step so drastic, but they have messed up too much in recent decades, and with Trump's posse anything is possible anyway. It's now for Iran's leadership to react, and we may soon see what their leverage in the region really is (and isn't), possibly including the Hezbollah-Israel theater.