Iran v US confrontation

Achilles McCool

You're have no actual response to other posters other than cute one liners and straight up insults. At least try to form some counter arguments to defend your position. Without the insults.
I’m more than willing to defend my position. No insults needed. The Iranian General in Baghdad is fair game. Need I say more?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I’m more than willing to defend my position. No insults needed. The Iranian General in Baghdad is fair game. Need I say more?
Ah see you can do it. Nice.

Okay so I won't dispute that this was a bad man and we re probably better off without him - but the ordering of the strike with the potential to lead to war without notifying those in the need to know in Congress and the senate is ok? Also, would Iran blowing up an American general in Iraq be fair game to you as well?

TheReligion

Abusive
My guess would be @Achilles McCool is suggesting he was in Iraq planning further action, such as the Embassy attack, against the US? Obviously by being heavily involved in said action already, and the planning of further, by being outside of his home nation he was fair game for the US to take out with said justification.

Interval

Level
Americans are so weird when it comes to their national military pride. They get erections at the thought of showing anyone that they're the best

Needham

Has Baghdad become a part of the USA now?
No. And more relevantly their embassy, as with all other embassies, is not to be considered sovereign territory of the sending state. But embassies have what's termed "inviolable status" (immunity) and physical transgression therein would be considered tantamount to direct attack.

MDFC Manager

At least this time they weren't incompetent enough to blow up a plane full of civilians

mu4c_20le

Not sure what I find more shocking, the strike itself or the Trumpets celebrating the assassination on twitter

Needham

I've never heard of any country sending a drone strike to kill another country's military general without being in a war
1. Drones are relatively new
2. Check the victim's back catalogue of threats toward America and actions on the ground. He, even if you don't, always saw himself as in a war with America.

mu4c_20le

1. Drones are relatively new
2. Check the victim's back catalogue of threats toward America and actions on the ground. He, even if you don't, always saw himself as in a war with America.
Ok but haven't North Korea constantly threatened to 'turn America into a sea of fire' ? Lets say this guy might be responsible for actually taking American lives and not just full of hot air.. who determines his guilt? Is this America world police all over again? ...I can't help but feel a twinge of excitement tbh, because thats how I grew up with, America fighting wars all over the world in the name of justice and democracy.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Why was Suleimani in Iraq?
I will attack both! Especially if said post/poster is spewing ignorance!
I presume you are trying to the make the point that as the commander of the Quds force, which is responsible for military activities outside of Iranian territory, he was involved in the attack on the US embassy as well as plenty of other dodgy goings on for instance in Yemen and Lebanon. Quds has been designated a terrorist organsation by the US and Canada. So I'm guessing your point is the fact that he was in Iraq with leaders from the people's militia (Quds backed) suggests he was carrying out terrorist activities against the US and was therefore fair game.

That's a valid point but why are you being such a dick about it?

Needham

Ok but haven't North Korea constantly threatened to 'turn America into a sea of fire' ? Lets say this guy might be responsible for actually taking American lives and not just full of hot air.. who determines his guilt? Is this America world police all over again? ...I can't help but feel a twinge of excitement tbh, because thats how I grew up with, America fighting wars all over the world in the name of justice and democracy.
If NK was sponsoring proxy organisations in Guam and Japan whilst occupying swathes of the south and threatening the Philippines next the situation would be remarkably different. And "Lets say this guy might be responsible for actually taking American lives and not just full of hot air" shows you simply aren't keeping up.

sport2793

Quite frankly, there are complete idiots running the US and Iran right now. While QS deserved to go based on decades of actions there's no doubt that Trump and his goons are unprepared for the Iranian countermoves. Iran was equally stupid for allowing the embassy storming to go ahead; why give the nutcase in the White House a valid excuse to make a crap move. If I was Iran I would have supported Trump's loss in 2020 and a Democratic administration that would have given them favorable concessions/lifted sanctions post nuclear deal. This series of events has only strengthened Trump's position in the US and made his reelection likelier, which is bad news for all of us.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Seems he’d just flown into Baghdad from Beirut. Shows how cocky he’d gotten, he should have been lying low given events of the last week. Be very interesting to learn how the Americans came to learn his location.