Iran v US confrontation

Kaos

Could Iran do us all a massive favour and take out Mohammed Bone Saw now, that should count as sufficient retribution.

Kaos

Seems he’d just flown into Baghdad from Beirut. Shows how cocky he’d gotten, he should have been lying low given events of the last week. Be very interesting to learn how the Americans came to learn his location.
Part of me thinks they only sought to target Abu Mahdi Al-Muhandis and by chance they took out Soleimani too.

Wondering if Trump’s military advisors are sweating profusely or cant believe their luck.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Ali Khaminei’s New Year’s Day tweet:

Drifter

American
Because of his sick obsession with Obama .We are in this situation now.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Seems he’d just flown into Baghdad from Beirut. Shows how cocky he’d gotten, he should have been lying low given events of the last week. Be very interesting to learn how the Americans came to learn his location.
He's a top ranking decorated general, not osama.

Any decent level iranian official would probably knew his whereabouts.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Part of me thinks they only sought to target Abu Mahdi Al-Muhandis and by chance they took out Soleimani too.

Wondering if Trump’s military advisors are sweating profusely or cant believe their luck.
I dont know which is scarier. That they took a general brazenly, or they took a general by chance.

The later means they dont always know who's at the end of their drones...

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He's a top ranking decorated general
That’s not really the best way to understand his position. He wasn’t head of the Iranian military, he was commander of the Quds force, which is a branch of the Revolutionary Guard specializing in covert international operations and reporting directly to Ali Khamenei. And designated a terrorist organization by the US.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The thread titles should be updated, it's a big news.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That’s not really the best way to understand his position. He wasn’t head of the Iranian military, he was commander of the Quds force, which is a branch of the Revolutionary Guard specializing in covert international operations and reporting directly to Ali Khamenei. And recently designated a terrorist organization by the US.
A terrorist organization designated by the us. The united states of america.

That’s not really the best way to understand his position. He wasn’t head of the Iranian military, he was commander of the Quds force, which is a branch of the Revolutionary Guard specializing in covert international operations and reporting directly to Ali Khamenei. And designated a terrorist organization by the US.
That last line there tells you everything you need to know.

For the rest of the World we know who the true terrorists are and they have stars and stripes on their flag.

The US don't want to stop Iran and N. Korea from having nukes because they care about the World, they want to stop them because if they have nukes, America have to start fecking behaving themselves.

Kaos

That’s not really the best way to understand his position. He wasn’t head of the Iranian military, he was commander of the Quds force, which is a branch of the Revolutionary Guard specializing in covert international operations and reporting directly to Ali Khamenei. And recently designated a terrorist organization by the US.
To be fair this means very little to anyone outside the US-Israel-Saudi circle. To the rest of the world he’s a contentious military figure at worst. The US’ take on what makes a terrorist organisation is hardly an objective benchmark either.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
The guy was a legitimate target and has been for years. I'm more surprised the US has held its hand this long.

Kaos

The guy was a legitimate target and has been for years. I'm more surprised the US has held its hand this long.
Based on what exactly?

What constitutes a legitimate target for state sponsored assassination these days?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Well there was going to be some retaliation, Iran have been goading America into doing something for a while with the embassy, killing the American contractor and fecking around with the Saudi oil fields.

Kaos

Well there was going to be some retaliation, Iran have been goading America into doing something for a while with the embassy, killing the American contractor and fecking around with the Saudi oil fields.
The clock for this stand off starts way before that. Try the 50s.

Zlatattack

Expect oil prices to rise. Trump wants a war, I hope Iran gives it to them. Maybe they could do us all a favour and kill some Saudi Kings and prince's.

sport2793

Let's talk about it from their point of view....

Pretty reasonable viewpoint. Not sure though what Congress can do to stop Trump if Iran starts attacking Americans across the Middle East and maybe even globally. Iran would probably come out of this looking like the responsible actor if they show restraint, could see them winning a lot of goodwill and turning the world against US-led sanctions. The latest noises suggest they will retaliate though and the video does a good job breaking down why.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Off course they will. And it won't be pretty and concentrated conventional war.

This will be a war of terror, if the americans thinks the iran are going to be stupid enough to start a conventional war against the us. War will be fought asymmetrically. Call it resorting to terrorism if you want. Only this time the terrorist will be armed by a full state backing

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Pretty reasonable viewpoint. Not sure though what Congress can do to stop Trump if Iran starts attacking Americans across the Middle East and maybe even globally. Iran would probably come out of this looking like the responsible actor if they show restraint, could see them winning a lot of goodwill and turning the world against US-led sanctions. The latest noises suggest they will retaliate though and the video does a good job breaking down why.
They cant afford not to retaliate. Anything other than a declaration of war will see their citizens protests and probably a coup

Can you imagine if US soc openly assassinated and the US presidents do anything but declare war?

Kaos

They cant afford not to retaliate. Anything other than a declaration of war will see their citizens protests and probably a coup

Can you imagine if US soc openly assassinated and the US presidents do anything but declare war?
I don’t think their citizens will be yearning for a war with the worlds premier superpower, especially after seeing what’s become of their neighbour. If anything they’d likely be bricking themselves for what happens next and rightly so.

Iran will respond with their normal modus operandi - step up proxy aggression in Iraq/Syria/Lebanon. They’re smart enough to know a conventional war with the States is not one they can win.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The clock for this stand off starts way before that. Try the 50s.
TBH Iran have become more active over the last decade or so, I don't recall the above incidents happening much before that.

Also I don't think Trump deserves that much credit I think it's highly likely they didn't know the general was there and got him by chance.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How was he a legitimate target when the US is not currently at war with Iran? This was a state directed murder of a high ranking official if a country they are not at war with.

Imagine if Iran killed the Secretary of State just out of the blue. This is essentially what has just happened on the other side. The US is reckless and should be utterly condemned.

Only a few years ago relations between the two countries were much improved but Trump has made a political decision to pull back on this and create an enemy again for votes. It's a fecking disgrace.

Reactions: langster

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Off course they will. And it won't be pretty and concentrated conventional war.

This will be a war of terror, if the americans thinks the iran are going to be stupid enough to start a conventional war against the us. War will be fought asymmetrically. Call it resorting to terrorism if you want. Only this time the terrorist will be armed by a full state backing
They've been using their proxies over the middle East for a long time, I don't expect more than it being ramped up a notch.

Kaos

TBH Iran have become more active over the last decade or so, I don't recall the above incidents happening much before that.

Also I don't think Trump deserves that much credit I think it's highly likely they didn't know the general was there and got him by chance.
This is my personal belief too, I think his military advisors are probably feeling a little apprehensive at the moderate to put it generously, I doubt they’d green light such a precarious assassination. No surprise he’s milking the bravado for all it’s worth mind you.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Based on what exactly?

What constitutes a legitimate target for state sponsored assassination these days?
A question you could ask Soleimani many times over, not just in terms of legitimate military targets but thousands of lives lost to his actions. He has nearly 20 years of reasons and has been getting bolder. I'm not taking sides here, Im just saying I'm not shocked this has happened. This wasn't some innocent man caught out here. He was engaged and active in his operations against the USA.

Hanks

indeed.

I can't believe some people are white-washing this scumbag's crimes. just because Trump ordered it.

People are more outraged with this POS (responsible for so much domestic and international suppression and deaths) being killed than 1500 Iranian citizens slayed on the streets in less than a week in November.

He was always mouthing off (very arrogantly) how he'll destroy USA and Israel won't exist another 20 years, bla bla....well, unluckeeeee