Iran v US confrontation

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Johnson and Macron would be fine though. It isn't that they kids will be sent there, it is average Joes who will suffer. Like always!
Pretty much and the gang is always together, when one makes a blunder the other two supports it.

Ban

So world peace is depending on a big baby of a president who is acting like he's playing a video game.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
'This Is Alarming': Iranian-Americans Reportedly Detained, Asked About Political Views at US Border
"Deeply disturbed by reports that Iranian-Americans, including U.S. citizens, are being detained at the Canadian border with WA State," said Rep. Pramila Jayapal.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...etained-asked-about-political-views-us-border

Masih Fouladi, executive director of CAIR-WA, said in a statement that the reports of detentions are "extremely troubling and potentially constitute illegal detentions of United States citizens."

"We are working to verify reports of a broad nationwide directive to detain Iranian-Americans at ports of entry so that we can provide community members with accurate travel guidance," said Fouladi. "We will continue to update the community and other civil rights organizations as we obtain more information."

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
'This Is Alarming': Iranian-Americans Reportedly Detained, Asked About Political Views at US Border
"Deeply disturbed by reports that Iranian-Americans, including U.S. citizens, are being detained at the Canadian border with WA State," said Rep. Pramila Jayapal.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...etained-asked-about-political-views-us-border
Seems unnecessary, my impression of Iranian-Americans and from what I've experienced personally is that a lot of them seem to be strangely behind the bombing of their own country. So seems he may find some of his best cheerleaders there.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
In contrast to some of the more sensational things that have come out in the media and indeed this thread (which I also of course fear), a rare dissenting voice that perhaps Iran's options are slightly more limited than many may think and their local allies may not be quite as willing to bring fire upon themselves for Iran:

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2020/01/soleimani-assassination-iran-iraq-us.html

Top commander's assassination leaves Iran with very few options to retaliate

Read more: https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/or...assassination-iran-iraq-us.html#ixzz6ACOIHoux
Not only Iraqis, but the whole world was shocked by the assassination of the commander of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' (IRGC) Quds Force, Qasem Soleimani, and his right-hand man, Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, who was the deputy head of Iraq’s Popular Mobilization Units (PMU). This event, without a doubt, will change the map of conflict in the region.

The attack took place around 1 a.m. on Jan. 3 near the Baghdad International Airport. Soleimani had just arrived in Baghdad and had gotten into a vehicle, but his convoy was struck by drones before it had left the airport grounds. Soleimani, Muhandis and six other PMU figures were killed immediately.

A few hours later, the IRGC announced that four other IRGC generals were killed in the attack as well.

This presence of this number of important people altogether indicates that they had been planning something very big, probably against the US after the latter attack on PMU bases in northern Iraq and Syria. This was what US officials confirmed as well. US President Donal Trump said "We took action last night to stop a war" and Lindsey Graham, one of Trump's main congressional advisers, called the operation a "preemptive, defensive strike planned to take out the organizer of attacks yet to come."
The operation was very well planned, organized and executed. The United States had access to very sensitive information and likely had been tracking Soleimani's movements and activity for a long time.

The scene was indeed set perfectly. Washington could not have chosen a better time, as after a series of protests from Baghdad to Tehran and Beirut, Soleimani had lost some public support and was seen as part of Iran's suppression system against people and their free wills. The attack on the US Embassy in Baghdad had also turned the majority of Iraqi political forces and the international community against Soleimani as the highest — albeit unofficial — leader of the PMU. The location turned out to be perfect as well. The strike took place in Iraqi territory, raising questions among the Iraqi public about the reason for an Iranian general being present in Iraq, especially after accusations facing Iran-backed forces of killing Iraqi protesters and abducting many of them. Selecting a quiet place in the airport also prevented the killing of any civilians that might allow Iran to victimize themselves and demonize the United States.

The reaction of the Iraqi public was not as strong as Iran might have expected. The president, prime minister and most of the Iraqi political parties — including Sunnis, Kurds and Shiites, among them Muqtada al-Sadr's and Ammar al-Hakim's movements — only denounced the event, calling all involved parties in Iraq to be patient and avoid any clash on Iraqi territory.

"In this exceptional circumstance, it is the duty of the Iraqis to adhere to their unity, close ranks and transcendent disputes in order to protect the supreme national interests, and to protect the sovereignty and security of the country and spare it the scourge and tragedies of armed conflicts that have worn it over four decades … and its effects and wounds are still not healed," Iraqi President Barham Salih said in his statement.

Meanwhile, top Shiite cleric Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, during his representative Friday sermon, also condemned the assassination and called it a breach of Iraqi sovereignty. Yet at the same time, Sistani called upon all parties to have a high degree of patience and avoid pushing the country toward the abyss.

The PMU announced it was on the highest state of alert. As announced, Soleimani's funeral will be held in Baghdad Jan. 4, and then his body will be transferred to Tehran.

In Iran, the government called for mass protests to show support to the regime and condemn the incident. Soleimani, due to his great influence in the region, is probably the most respected figure in the country — even among the people who do not support the Islamic regime.

Sadr, who has been living in Iran since the beginning of the protests Oct. 1, activated his Mahdi Army and called upon his followers to be ready for any necessary action to protect Iraq from any possible conflict. At the same time, he called on all parties to be patient and avoid bringing any regional conflict into the country.

In terms of Iran's reaction, all influential parties in Iraq are calling for restraint and patience. Even the pro-Iranian groups, although calling for strong revenge, are simultaneously beseeching all sides not to escalate the conflict in Iraq.

Iran's Supreme National Security Council had its special meeting about the incident, which was led by Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei for the first time. The council announced after the meeting that “Iran will take revenge at the suitable time and place,” which indicates Iran is not willing to escalate in the near future.

In fact, the economic hardship in Iran — in addition to the challenges the government is facing internally — would not allow Tehran to increase the tension. Iran’s past conduct against Israel strikes on Iranian bases in Syria also shows it will not seek revenge if its national security and interests are in danger.

From the US side, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called for reducing the escalation, saying, “I reiterated our commitment to de-escalation.” US President Donald Trump also indicated that Iran should take up negotiation instead of confrontation, tweeting, “Iran never won a war, but never lost a negotiation!”

This all indicates that Iran and its proxies in the region most likely would not seek revenge in the near future and — in regard to Iraq, in particular — would not lead Iraq to fall into a civil war or mass destruction, because it would lose even more in Iraq if it takes such a risk.

Iran is also very unlikely to push its Iraqi political forces to go ahead with legislation asking US troops to leave the country, as this would raise strong objections from Kurdish and Sunni forces and push them to work for separation. Iran would be the first party affected by such a dangerous move.

Denis79

Imagine being on the brink of war and still ranting on Twitter about it. Trump really is a fecking lunatic. He makes Kim Jung Ill look like a well adjusted individual.
I was thinking the same a couple of days ago.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What would be the purpose of sending troops in? Can't see it myself.
You can't win a war with drone strikes alone, or having an air superiority, no matter how big it is. In an all out war, the countries leader, politicians, high ranking generals and officers would operate from secure locations which no doubt Iran has. Iranian missiles are short to medium range, which could potentially reach Saudi Arabia and Israel, the missile launch facilities are based all over Iran and would need to be found and destroyed. There are also mobile launch facilities that would need destroyed. Taking them out, you'd need solid intelligence and more than likely special forces to do that or at the very least gather intelligence for air strikes. With special forces there are also SF support teams, that need to be on stand by, should anything go wrong -- those are usually made up of commandos, paras. In fact, in big operations. which this one would be, they'd be working side by side. With SF teams you need close air support, which include infil and exfil teams, casevac teams and so on. It would be a huge operation, which massive risk of casualties. Also, tactical or surgical air strikes on military bases would only take you so far, the civilian population arent likely to turn on a regime whilst there are bombs dropping down on them and nothing else really.

Paxi

Johnson and Macron would be fine though. It isn't that they kids will be sent there, it is average Joes who will suffer. Like always!
Exactly. I'd be very concerned if I had any relatives in the military that was a member of Nato, right now. Usually, I feel like most stuff will blow over but I'm not really sure about this.

Foxbatt

It is worse. The Iraqi Prime Minister is saying that Trump called him and asked to mediate with Iran after the Embassy was attacked. So he asked Suleimani to come to meet him in Baghdad. So he was travelling to meet the Iraqi Prime Minister when he was killed by the US attack. I think this is why the Iraqis are so angry. Plus they also killed a senior Iraqi official too.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout

He's gone fecking full rogue now. Seriously, the US helped fight to give Iraq democracy and now they don't like them using democracy to make decisions so they are going to punish them for it?

Trump is really digging a hole here. He's going to start losing support soon, surely?

langster

Scout
I cannot believe this is unfolding on social media. Crazy.
Twitter is gold at the moment. It's also unleashed the crazy too, I must have blocked 200 people today. :lol: I'm ignoring the replies on things now, just scrolling through the news feed, but it's hard to keep up. Trump's just returned from his holiday and is apparently going on a mega rant so who the feck knows what he's going to say or do next.

Edit! As I posted that he comes out with this fecking beauty....

:lol: :houllier:

Giggsyking

It is worse. The Iraqi Prime Minister is saying that Trump called him and asked to mediate with Iran after the Embassy was attacked. So he asked Suleimani to come to meet him in Baghdad. So he was travelling to meet the Iraqi Prime Minister when he was killed by the US attack. I think this is why the Iraqis are so angry. Plus they also killed a senior Iraqi official too.
Yes, in his speech today he said he talked to Trump, he said trumped called to thank the Iraqi government for acting against the protests outside the US embassy and protecting the embassy. In the conversation he asked Iraq to mediate to ease tensions with Iran.

The Firestarter

What a start to 2020. One outcome of this should be the revision of executive authority over the US military. This power is far to big for a single person.

Foxbatt

He's gone fecking full rogue now. Seriously, the US helped fight to give Iraq democracy and now they don't like them using democracy to make decisions so they are going to punish them for it?

Trump is really digging a hole here. He's going to start losing support soon, surely?
I hate to say this but most people in this world never believed that the USA invaded Iraq to give them democracy even then. The same way the UK and France got rid of Qaddafi is to bring democracy to Libya.
Yes it is also ridiculous that not only Trump but the other idiot Pompeo is also tweeting nonsense about sanctioning Iraqi officials who voted to remove foreign troops from Iraq. They do not know when to stop digging.

Paxi

“We have a very extraordinarily expensive air base that’s there. It cost billions of dollars to build, long before my time. We’re not leaving unless they pay us back for it," Trump told reporters on board of the Air Force One on Sunday.

Carolina Red

Staff

Rejecting democracy in countries where we’ve been promoting it once it does something we don’t like is kinda our thing.

Paxi

Twitter is gold at the moment. It's also unleashed the crazy too, I must have blocked 200 people today. :lol: I'm ignoring the replies on things now, just scrolling through the news feed, but it's hard to keep up. Trump's just returned from his holiday and is apparently going on a mega rant so who the feck knows what he's going to say or do next.

Edit! As I posted that he comes out with this fecking beauty....

:lol: :houllier:
Oh posted a reply to you before seeing this. It's crazy isn't it? The MAGA crowd are foaming at the mouth with every Trump tweet. They're actually praising God that he was sent to them. fecking mental!!

langster

Scout
Rejecting democracy in countries where we’ve been promoting it once it does something we don’t like is kinda our thing.
Yeah, it is. I suppose so, he's just being more open and less subtle about it. As is his way. Still not doing the USA any favours though and will make it even more difficult for him to get outside support.