Iran v US confrontation

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
What a lot of shite, were not talking about a guy with a telescope and RPG here, the plane had literally just taken off, I don't think its any link in the crash and the military action. Seems there was a British BP engineer on the plane with with 2 other Brits.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51073621

I still don't think it was one of the ballistic missiles that hit it, and see no reason why Iran would hit a commercial aircraft. From the reaction from Iran it seems to have been a bit of an accident. how exactly you do this by accident is beyond me.
Still a load of shite is it?

Red Panda

I feel very sad that even with current technologies both in military and civilian life some trigger happy nutcase can kill so many innocent people 'by mistake.'

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I think that Iran accidently hitting the passenger plane actually stopped a full blown war from kicking off.

I think they would have had further attacks planned, both overt and through proxies, but the minute they hit that plane, even though they tried to hide it, they knew that there would be massive backlash and loss of support internationally if they did anything further.

I also think that the White House knew this early, not straight away, but before the msm, and that's why they are coming out with these statements: they know Iran want the heat to die down and so won't respond.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I think that Iran accidently hitting the passenger plane actually stopped a full blown war from kicking off.

I think they would have had further attacks planned, both overt and through proxies, but the minute they hit that plane, even though they tried to hide it, they knew that there would be massive backlash and loss of support internationally if they did anything further.

I also think that the White House knew this early, not straight away, but before the msm, and that's why they are coming out with these statements: they know Iran want the heat to die down and so won't respond.
Excellent post. Some would say Iran were already on the back foot (I mean, let's face it their face-saving retaliatory 'firework display' was nowhere near 'good value' for the loss of their general) - but their position is further weakened not only by the killing of all those civilians on the plane, but at the protests inside Iran that followed, not to mention the stampede at the general's funeral.

Iran have done very badly in this whole affair. The silver lining for them is that that a war or widespread bombing campaign now seems less likely.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Excellent post. Some would say Iran were already on the back foot (I mean, let's face it their face-saving retaliatory 'firework display' was nowhere near 'good value' for the loss of their general) - but their position is further weakened not only by the killing of all those civilians on the plane, but at the protests inside Iran that followed, not to mention the stampede at the general's funeral.

Iran have done very badly in this whole affair. The silver lining for them is that that a war or widespread bombing campaign now seems less likely.
Really shit to say it, but I think there's been a lot of lives saved in the short term because of that mistake

Blodssvik

Plus the media brings on analysts all the time with ties to military contractors that they don't disclose. Then you have billionaires like the Resnicks who spend millions on lobbying for sanctions and war so they can sell their inferior treenuts without competition from Iran.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

Zero casualties!
There will probably be 11 Purple Hearts awarded for a strike with "no casualties." TBIs may not be immediately apparent wounds, but they can cause long-term problems for the soldiers who suffer them. Had the military had Patriot missiles on-site, this may have been largely avoided.

TheReligion

Abusive
If you read the articles it says the casualties are suffering from concussion and have been taken to hospital as a precaution as standard in such circumstances?

Seems like spin to me.

Drifter

American
Senate approved a bipartisan measure,limiting Trump's authority to launch military operations against Iran. Of course the Orange tyrant says he would veto it.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
At least so far not enough to start a new thread. I'm not sure if Iran is trying to take advantage of the US being focused on Ukraine or if Russia is pushing them to create a distraction.