Irish Politics

caid

We’d heard it was a homeless organisation that bought it! Now I’m thinking vulture fund.
They gutted all the nice changes the couple did to the kitchen etc and put the standard one back in.
We've created and perpetuated the circumstances that let them make a profit from doing that. Tax the feck out of them so theres no incentive

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
We've created and perpetuated the circumstances that let them make a profit from doing that. Tax the feck out of them so theres no incentive

Yep. Tax breaks on family homes, hammer the hell out of almost everything else, especially vacant or rent for profit.

caid

Yep. Tax breaks on family homes, hammer the hell out of almost everything else, especially vacant or rent for profit.
I'd focus on vacant. Golden Blunders vulture fund renting the place at a reasonable rate wouldn't be ideal but would be a huge improvement over the current situation

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I'd focus on vacant. Golden Blunders vulture fund renting the place at a reasonable rate wouldn't be ideal but would be a huge improvement over the current situation

100% it would be better but I think an overhaul of attitude is needed at all levels of society with regard to property, houses and homes.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Not a hope. That'd be a Senior or Staff (level 3 or 4) engineer salary.
:)

I know for a fact that is true for all FAANG companies along with few others like Microsoft, AirBnB, Uber, Coinbase. At least for standard software engineer roles, support/production reliability engineers get a bit less. People underestimate how much tech salaries have risen at tier 1 companies in last 3-4 years. Just join blind app and you can ask fresher engineers how much they are making at any company.

Also SWE levels at google start at L3 only so any fresh graduate gets that level. At amazon it starts at 4. Those are not senior roles but the most junior engineer by definition.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
:)

I know for a fact that is true for all FAANG companies along with few others like Microsoft, AirBnB, Uber, Coinbase. At least for standard software engineer roles, support/production reliability engineers get a bit less. People underestimate how much tech salaries have risen at tier 1 companies in last 3-4 years. Just join blind app and you can ask fresher engineers how much they are making at any company.

Also SWE levels at google start at L3 only so any fresh graduate gets that level. At amazon it starts at 4. Those are not senior roles but the most junior engineer by definition.
We must be on about different countries because I'm an engineer in IT in Ireland for a large multinational, and actively involved in the hiring process and I can guarantee you salaries for engineers are nowhere near what you are describing.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
We must be on about different countries because I'm an engineer in IT in Ireland for a large multinational, and actively involved in the hiring process and I can guarantee you salaries for engineers are nowhere near what you are describing.
Or we're in the wrong companies :lol:

I'd have always seen anything above the 100k mark here as definitely moving in to the Solution Architect role type jobs.

RedC

Senior devs in any of the tier 1ish American companies in Dublin will be on 6 figures, 150k is dev manager money though. I know someone who moved to a pretty random company late last year as a senior dev and is on 6 figures, the wages have gone pretty crazy recently.

Withnail

Senior devs in any of the tier 1ish American companies in Dublin will be on 6 figures, 150k is dev manager money though. I know someone who moved to a pretty random company late last year as a senior dev and is on 6 figures, the wages have gone pretty crazy recently.
It's not the salary of the average google employee though, is it?

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Isn't that how the whole salary conversation started with that quote from the article claiming the average google employee earns 150k and can easily afford 2 grand rent a month?
There are probably a lot of google higher ups on enormous seven figure salaries which would skew the average massively. The median wage is probably much lower.

Withnail

There are probably a lot of google higher ups on enormous seven figure salaries which would skew the average massively. The median wage is probably much lower.
Not that it really matters but I can't see how that would explain the average Google wage in Ireland being 4 times the national average. It seems more likely the person in the article was mistaken in some way.

RedC

Not that it really matters but I can't see how that would explain the average Google wage in Ireland being 4 times the national average. It seems more likely the person in the article was mistaken in some way.
You don't see how essentially the highest paying company in one of the highest paying industries pays way more than the national average? It's probably overall compensation package too. Doesn't seem unrealistic to me at all.

Withnail

You don't see how essentially the highest paying company in one of the highest paying industries pays way more than the national average? It's probably overall compensation package too. Doesn't seem unrealistic to me at all.
Well, a google search suggests it's closer to 60 grand which seems to be more realistic to me.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
there's 7,000 people at Google in Ireland. A huge variation in types of employment. Lower tier support, customer care, youtube support, UX, UI, design etc that wouldn't pay nearly as well as engineering roles. engineering only makes up about 10% of total staff or something.

RedC

there's 7,000 people at Google in Ireland. A huge variation in types of employment. Lower tier support, customer care, youtube support, UX, UI, design etc that wouldn't pay nearly as well as engineering roles. engineering only makes up about 10% of total staff or something.
The majority of those people would be on 60k basic salary or more though, which probably works out close enough to 100k as an overall compensation package. Add in some sales people making crazy money from advertising and some execs and I could see it being over 100k anyway.

crappycraperson

Scout
I specifically mentioned the companies I know about, I am working / have worked for 2 out of FAANG in last few years as EM.

This is one Google offer for L4 position (this person is likely to have 3-6 years of experience) : https://www.teamblind.com/post/Google-SWE-Dublin-L4-offer-Lmi1H1Cw. His annual comp comes out to be ~ 163K euros. That is in tune with reported salaries of 110K euros on levels.fyi for L3 engineers in Ireland since L3 to L4 jump is likely to result in ~ 50% increase. Only caveat is that L3 engineers encompass engineers with 0-4 years experience in general. (Levelling is a complicated concept in FAANG).

Compensation given by FAANG is underestimated by a lot in the industry. Almost 50% of compensation at all roles is equity and then they generally match market encompassing other companies with base salary itself.

crappycraperson

Scout
Non engineering roles will definitely not be getting as much for sure.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I like Eoin on housing, he's a really smart guy with his heart firmly in the right place; but a lefty mate of mine made me look at his aspirational social media accounts and I nearly barfed.
what's your stance on Shinner's?

Think it's a given they'll be in power in the next few years but (call be pessimistic) I still think they're a bunch of spoofers who are all promise.

I do like Eoin though, puts forward a good argument for sure.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
what's your stance on Shinner's?

Think it's a given they'll be in power in the next few years but (call be pessimistic) I still think they're a bunch of spoofers who are all promise.

I do like Eoin though, puts forward a good argument for sure.
I have a very long winded opinions on them; I was never a Nationalist. but in short, I think they deserve a crack of the whip. If they are spoofers we will find out because the national media and establishment duo will be on them immediately. I think their presence on the parliamentary landscape makes this awful manifestation of democracy the best we've ever had.

I know a lot of them and their younger Dublin supporters quiet well, and they are an interesting bunch.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I have a very long winded opinions on them; I was never a Nationalist. but in short, I think they deserve a crack of the whip. If they are spoofers we will find out because the national media and establishment duo will be on them immediately. I think their presence on the parliamentary landscape makes this awful manifestation of democracy the best we've ever had.

I know a lot of them and their younger Dublin supporters quiet well, and they are an interesting bunch.
I think that's the general stance. "Well, it can't get any worse". Here's hoping.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
They should have just told us to feck and suck it up like the underlings we are rather than having the charade of a court case that we have to pay for.

Brophs

The One and Only
I don't know what the problem is. They hung a massive fecking curtain in the middle of a room. They knew that Covid's true weakness was thin fabric.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I don't know what the problem is. They hung a massive fecking curtain in the middle of a room. They knew that Covid's true weakness was thin fabric.
Exactly, I mean, I know at roughly the same time I sat at home with my kids, watching my wife bury her father, their grandfather, on a shitty stream, but its not like I had to miss a round of golf and a slap up dinner or anything serious like that.

Plus, I'm probably not a good person with a good job which, as is well known, exempts you from the law.

If I was them I'd fecking sue!!

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Yeesh.

Is there anyone actually good to vote for if there's an election? I never thought i'd consider voting SF cause they're a bunch of spoofers but i've almost reached the point where i'm "anything but FFG".