Is Bale considered more of a success on the international stage than Giggs?

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
I love how you guys make fiun of copa america, but Euros had like 4 types of england in the knockout stages

Yagami

Good post resistant
I love how you guys make fiun of copa america, but Euros had like 4 types of england in the knockout stages
I'm English and prefer the Copa to the Euros. Anyway, I'm not sure what this has to do with Bale vs Giggsy?

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
I'm south American and most, if not all, English/Europeans I know praise the Copa America.

Anyway what does this have to do with Giggs/Bale?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Of course, no doubt whatsoever.

Giggs attitude towards Wales was pretty crappy. Skipping so many Wales games early on helped his Man United career though.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Of course he is, question doesn't need to be asked.
Whether it was down to giggs or Fergie I'm not sure but giggs missed far too many Welsh games and didn't seem too committed.
Bale is there! The talisman, plus he seems to score almost every game.

Yes, I'm Welsh.

AshfordLad

Yes but Bale has a lot better Welsh players around him than Giggs did.

Tarrou

As a Welshman it's no contest - Bale has been unbelievable for us and Giggs never seemed arsed.

I'd still put John Charles as our greatest though.

Rory 7

Bale is more successful than every British international player since perhaps the 1960s. Bringing Wales to the semi final of the euros outshines even England's best performance since 66. Why compare him to just Giggs?

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Yes but Bale has a lot better Welsh players around him than Giggs did.
Wales still only have Bale, Ramsey, Allen and Williams who can be considered good players individually. It's not far from when Wales had Giggs, Speed, Bellamy and Hartson when they made the playoffs for Euro 2004.

Enigma_87

You know who
Bale is more successful than every British international player since perhaps the 1960s. Bringing Wales to the semi final of the euros outshines even England's best performance since 66. Why compare him to just Giggs?
EURO 1996?

Otherwise I agree of course.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
then Italy 1990.

Indeed.
It's still a big country like England against a small country like Wales. The fact that it's considered an achievement for England to reach a semi final at a major tournament says a lot about England.

red4ever 79

Absolutely. Big difference is also the attitude, Giggs was never even so committed to the National side. Bale carried us through the last qualifying campaign and then performed on the big stage.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
As a Welshman it's no contest - Bale has been unbelievable for us and Giggs never seemed arsed.

I'd still put John Charles as our greatest though.
Absolutely. Big difference is also the attitude, Giggs was never even so committed to the National side. Bale carried us through the last qualifying campaign and then performed on the big stage.
The bolded tilts it in Bale's favour considerably for me.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Definitely yes. He's done more for Wales than Giggs ever did IMO.

Both will obviously be remembered for different reasons.

Enigma_87

You know who
It's still a big country like England against a small country like Wales. The fact that it's considered an achievement for England to reach a semi final at a major tournament says a lot about England.
England are notorious under performers on the biggest stage. You also have the Czech's after the break up in the 90's reaching final and a SF in the EURO's having population as much as London, although in this case there's a rich football history to back it up.

Wales feat is undoubtedly more impressive given the lack of expectations, but historically they did have some great players in it, just in the past qualifying for the finals was tougher given the format. Fair fecks to Bale, he has been instrumental for them in both the qualifying round and in the finals.

GazTheLegend

Felt to me like Giggs chose Wales but maybe didn't love the country the way Bale clearly does - perhaps he chose it to annoy his father and please his mother more than for any real feel he had for the country but that's just wild and unfounded speculation on my part and probably undeserved.

He grew up in Cardiff but moved to Salford at 6 years old so he spent his youth growing up as a manc lad really.

In an alternate universe, Ryan Wilson was the left winger England were missing in the mid 2000's and England went on to dominate the world stage.

Bale has been incredible for Wales and is right to be considered the best Welsh player of all time.

Oyibo

Bale, for the reasons other posters have mentioned.

But I feel its also down to the fact Bale is more motivated playing in a team with other quality Welsh players, than Giggsy was with lesser quality players than him.

Bale knows he has a chance of making the finals of a tournament, whereas Giggsy knew they had little chance.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yes, and further, the question should be asked "is Gareth Bale the most successful British export (footballer)?"

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Silly question because the answer is so blindingly clear. More pertinent question is Bale the more better and influential footballer for club and country over the course of their careers.

Talent wise, Giggs was streets ahead but as a matchwinning force at the highest level.. is Bale going to be remembered as the superior force?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
EURO 1996?

Otherwise I agree of course.
World Cup 1990? a semi final at a world cup trumps a Euro semi final.

Contextually, Wales achievement considering the size of their nation and it isn't their major sport is stunning.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yes, and further, the question should be asked "is Gareth Bale the most successful British export (footballer)?"
I think the standing John Charles has with Juventus fans will take some beating. But Bale's still a young lad and, if he continues racking up the big trophies, then he may well take the top spot.