Is Carlos Tevez one of the all-time greats?

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34696656

So Boca Juniors just wrapped up the Argentina Serie A title after a 4-year drought.

This is Tevez' 8th league title in 4 countries spanning over a decade. He won with Boca in the early 2000's, later with Corinthians in Brazil, then went to Europe to West Ham for a half-season but became a legend there by singlehandedly saved them from relegation. Then to United where he wasn't the main man but won back-to-back titles and the Champions League in 2 seasons. Then to City and won the PL. Then to Juventus and won back-to-back titles and made it to the CL final last season. Now back to Boca and inspires them to the title, where they won 11 of the 14 games after he rejoined.

That's simply an amazing career.

It seems a lot of the great players in history have typically been defined by 1 or maybe 2 clubs where they were successful. Of course this leads to the same old questions about whether they would have been successful in another club or league or continent or era. Especially because many great players have teams built around them, so it's fair to ask "what if" their circumstances had been different, how would they have fared?

Carlos Tevez bucks that trend. He's played everywhere, and won everywhere, usually in the immediate season of joining the club. You can't call this luck or coincidence. Although there are other great players that are probably better in individual facets such as dribbling, passing, scoring, playmaking, etc. it seems he has a combination of all those attributes plus that tremendous workrate and passion that somehow generates success at the team level.

So at the end of the day he's a difficult character to rank, because he hasn't had the stability that one would associate with the usual names in the "top X of all time lists", but in terms of diversity of accomplishments he must be near the top.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That really depends on how wide you define "all-time great". I would say no, but there is no denying that he is/was a very good player who enjoyed a great career.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I loved him when he was at United. Those two seasons when it was Tevez v Berbatov, we had no idea back then just how lucky we were. I'd kill for the Tevez of then in our squad today.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Nah, I don't rate his skill individually...but he has an uncanny knack of elevating everyone around him to perform better. Brilliant workrate and a team player.

I really liked our side when we had him, Rooney and CR spearheading the attack.

Skills

Snitch
All time is pushing it. Top 10-15 of the last 10 years probably.

Moonred

Tevez just always looked and played like a player who needs very little time to adjust. All time great should be limited to players a bit more spectacular for me, but he was very good and had a very successful career.

starman

Hes been a success everywhere he goes, its a very pretty impressive feat, no matter how much of a dick he is though of too be

What i find bizarre is how bulky he looks when playing in England, yet in Italy and Argentina, he always looks so lean..

Roman Bellic

Prick
Yes.

"R.I.P Fergie" was uncalled for though, main reason I don't talk about him anymore.

Waltraute

She-Devil
Absolutely fantastic footballer. 'All time great or not' is for history to decide.
I'm happy he's at home at Boca though, because I can't help but love the whinging, self-absorbed little shit.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's dick-head because of his habit of downing tools whenever he didn't get his way but there's no denying his influence whenever he took his finger out. From a United perspective it's just a shame we signed him with that weird contract, prompting all the silly buggery in his final season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fantastic player who would've been better served by staying with one club for most of his career. As in, if he left Argentina to play a 10 year career under Fergie, then returned to Boca.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
I always had and always will have great time for him as I found his playing style and attitude on the pitch something to behold. Definitely an all time great for me.

Roman Bellic

Prick
All time is pushing it. Top 10-15 of the last 10 years probably.
His career is just as great as some of those 20th century legends to be fair.

I understand 21st century legends aren't as romanticised, so that might be a hindrance.

Would probably be in some people's all time lists if he was born in the 40s.

BarstoolProphet

He wasn't that good for us (especially in the second season) but his record speaks for itself. Well done Kia.

SATA

Why was he being a cnut? He wanted to stay and play for the club and he did all he could but Fergie decided otherwise

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
fantastic footballer and very different to most of the strikers, always loved him. As for his inclusion on all-time greats, i guess it depends how big the pool is....

Treble

Tevez wouldn't make the top 20 of the last 10 years. Absurd question. He's never been one of the top 5 forwards in the world. All-time greatness is reserved for the likes of Messi, both Ronaldos, Zidane, et. Do you see Tevez as equal to them?

ghagua

He is. Great player who has won everywhere he has played. His work rate on the field is incredible. The way his time at United ended will forever ruin his reputation with Utd fans, but Fergie had a lot to do with that as well. I will always appreciate what he did for United during that double winning season.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Would probably be in some people's all time lists if he was born in the 40s.
I doubt it. A similar style of attacker in Kevin Keegan won 2 Ballon D'Ors (something Tevez has never been remotely in contention for) and doesn't really feature in any kind of all-time great debate. And there's loads of great players from that era that have largely been forgotten through the passing of time.

We need an rvn

pretty much the same sentiment as 50% are saying....great career, not an all time great though and he's ruined at both United / City how much loved him (not sure about Juve tbh as don't follow them) because of his actions - and that's how most will remember him...simply an ar53 hhhooooolllllllleeeee

Ixion

I wish we'd kept him and never signed Berbatov to be honest, you never know what goes on behind the scenes though I suppose.

Roman Bellic

Prick
I doubt it. A similar style of attacker in Kevin Keegan won 2 Ballon D'Ors (something Tevez has never been remotely in contention for) and doesn't really feature in any kind of all-time great debate. And there's loads of great players from that era that have largely been forgotten through the passing of time.
This is a valid point.

Still think Tevez would be rated twice as much if he played alongside Maradona though.

British and Irish greats are generally not as celebrated as their foreign contemporaries,for some reason.

Keenst

If someone asked me now what I thought of Tevez I would say he was very good. I certainly wouldn't say he was one of the best players ever.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Very good player who's had a very good career. Not an all time great though.

Oo0AahCantona

I dont think he's an all time great, but he's had a fantastic career at the pinnacle of his profession.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
He really did have an amazing career, and I even started to ponder about our attacking threats in what 08/09 season. We had Berba, Tevez, Ronaldo, and Rooney.

In hindsight Tevez may have been a better pick then Rooney.....

Saying all that he's a grade A twat and any respect I've ever had for him is gone

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Tevez is a great player who joined Europe for money, which I understand. If it wasn't for money he would have stayed in Argentina.